Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought some 18"x7" wheels with a +48 offset. the tires are 215/35/18. will i have any problems with rubbing with the car lowered about 1.5"-2"? if so, what can i do to stop it?

·
Registered
172 Posts
yes it will... i am running 18X7.5 and 215/40/18 with minimal rubbing. It only rubs when theere is a load in the back. otherwise it is good. I have H&R springs 1.8 up front and 1.5 rears.

->arthur

·
Registered
2017 Focus RS
563 Posts
In this picture I attached this guy has 18x7 with 215/35/18 with no rubbing. Although he does have a nice coilover setup, but there are alot of guys in the UK that have these same wheels/tires and only have AGX w/ Eibachs and get no rubbing.
What kind of suspension setup do you have on your car??
-Joe

edit: The wheels I am getting :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
The front should be no problem. The rear will be a problem, and here's the solution:

1. Remove the rubber finder lining strip from the rear wheel wells
2. Take a large hammer (like a 4-6 pound hammer) and carefully pound the lip of the fender up, flat against the body.

Problems with doing this:

1. If you do not heat the paint at the edge of the lip, it will crack and flake off. You could re-paint it or get a hair dryer and heat it up first so it's (more) flexible, although there are no guarantees it'll help.
2. The area above the fender can flex in and make an odd indent in the body.

However, those two issues aside, you should have very minimal problems after that. I was running Rota Tarmacs 17x7.5 with Falken Azenis 225/45/17's with H&R lowering springs (dropped the car 2 1/2") with minimal problems. I got rubbing when I hit a bump AND was cornering hard, but not much otherwise.

·
Registered
29 Posts
autoarttech.com, your tires are justr under an inch taller than the 215/35/18's which have a diameter of 24 in. yours may rub, but the 35/18's may be fine, considering they are about the same width and hight of the tires i have. it should be allright, but lowering too much will allways find a way to rub.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts