Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wide rims -> wide tires -> better handling right? So why not use some really wide rims on our cars? Like 16x10. Those rims would probably cost a ton and it would look horrible sticking out from the body so much.. wait did I just answer my own question? :p It should still handle well right? Then all you need is some custom widebody fenders and it'd be pretty sweet.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Don't forget about the added weight (especially since it's rotating mass). It would kill your acceleration. :(

·
Registered
796 Posts
If you have got the ponies for it then yes, it would be awesome. The 22b came with 17x8.5 rims. Of course the 280 hp on it was very low. It is estimated that the car actually produced around 350-375 hp. With those numbers the extra weight is no big deal and you get a TON of grip. I myself am toying with the idea of getting Stever's 22b body kit once the supercharger is completely finished and running daily on 17 x 8.5 rims with 235 40-17 rubber and racing some custom 16 x 9 rims with 245 45-16 race slicks.

Of course, I want to be at least to 300 hp before I do that.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Suspension geometry is effected by moving to wider wheels and different offsets, etc... Just keep that in mind when thinking of the super wide hoopdies!

Although....many, many successful autocross and roadrace cars make very good use of small, w i d e wheels!

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. Ok I have a related question. Is it bad to put wider rims in the back of an AWD car? I know the (JTCC?) race Impreza GC8 used that setup.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you are referring to the CUSCO Impreza, it was converted to RWD.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have heard of at least one person running different width tires at autocross on their 2.5RS though! 225/50-16 front and 205/55-16 rear, IIRC. Not sure I'd recommend it, but those sizes probably are within the diff's size difference tolerance.

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza RS
586 Posts
The wider tires also affects your ride quality I think. So if you live here in Colorado, unless you use them for auto-x only, then it wouldn't be recommended.

Nick C.

·
Ntseg Muag!
SRP MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
518 Posts
wider is better cause u get more traction but don't wana go too wide cause ur car might not be able to turn cause the tires are scrapping the wheel well. i think the widest u can go is probably 8 in........if u want to go wider u can always custum wide fenders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts