Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Why'd you buy your RS?

2K views 40 replies 32 participants last post by  subifan916 
#1 ·
Hello I was just curious, I'm thinking of buying a used RS in the near future and I was just wondering why you bought yours. I also wanted to know if any of you had run into any unexpected mechanical problems with your scoobies.

Thanks

#2 ·
i bought mine because the winters here in ND Suck ass, and my Turbo Z just doesn't cut it on the ice and snow. and not to mention i'm from NC and i'm stationed here in the frozen tundra, therefor, AWD is king. plus i haven't owned anything newer than an 87 nissan Z-car, so i thought i'd step up a little with something alot newer. i've always liked the looks of the 98-01 RS's and i finally can afford to own one.

-brian

#4 · (Edited)
I bought my car beacuse I liked the power it had, the AWD, the handling, and the looks. It was right there, performance wise, with the other cars I was looking at (Integra GS, Celica GT, ect...), but it has AWD, while the other cars in it's class are all FWD, and I wanted something different that would match up better with my personality and driving style than my 91 Camaro RS (305 V8) did. Plus, it rains a bit here in Oregon, and the AWD is perfect for our weather. I also did a lot of research, and Subaru has a great track record for both crash safety and reliabilty, and the resale values of the RS are great, too, not that I'd ever sell it.:D

#5 ·
I was in the market for something with decent gas mileage to replace my gas-hog Dodge Dakota, I drove through the Subaru dealer (I wanted to see a WRX but they weren't out yet) I saw my 01 RS, popped wood, went inside, got a test drive, came back the next day and put 3 grand down cash and drove it home.

How's that for love at first site?

It's also the only vehicle I've ever bought that I haven't had one single second of buyer's remorse over, I love it more now than the first time I saw it.

#6 ·
It's a reliable car from a good company

Beautiful stock handling with All Wheel Drive

Pretty damn quick....but not that fast ;*(** ....stock....

...has big FAT potential

Insurance won't murder you

The car is beautiful, not no eye of the beholder crap like the new WRX :D, BEAUTIFUL... PERIOD.

#1 Reason: Rare car, not that many people have them and I have yet to go a day driving it when somebody didn't stare at my car :D

#7 ·
I was a big fan of the WRC and I needed a new car since the dealership couldn't fix my OBS. I saw the RS, feel in love with it, tried to talk myself out of it (I didn't think I could aford a new car), the girl I was with told me I was stupid if I didn't get it. Next day I gave the dealer the down payment and the rest is history.

Steve:D

#8 ·
I started looking b/c my old GTI was going to break me with maintenance issues. I set $30k as my price cap and narrowed the search to the A4, SVT Contour, then new GTI/Jetta, and the RS. The Contour had the power but was a little too pricey, the A4 is a pig off boost and I had to buy used to afford any real power out of it, the GTI/Jetta only had leather in the VR6 (which I didn't want) and were also a little pricey. The scooby was always top on the list pre-test drive and once I drove it I put down $100 to have the dealer hold it (June 99, MY99 RS, very hard to find!).

#11 ·
The question would be WHY WOULDN'T YOU BUY A RS, it's just looks so cool, at least until the 2001 before the new body style came out. Its really neat to get stares from people when you debadge your car and it's NOT another CIVIC or INTEGRA...everyones got one of those for crying out load. PLUS can we say ALL WHEEL DRIVE? I currently own 3 other cars on top of the Suby which I got about 3 months ago and since then all the money is going into this little bugger. My other rides are :

1: Stratus Touring car Replica
2: Dodge Stealth RT/TT 475 AWHP
3: Civic HB (turtle car)

So AWD is the way to go, sides insurance isn't 2 bad and it's Really FUN to drive and Looks WAAAAAY cool.!

#14 ·
TT or Impreza,

Drove TT my rx7 is faster ~40k
Drove Impreza - looks just as good, a little slower, but oh so much cheaper... damn easy choice :happynow:

Never regreted buying it, And i got so many compliments on my car.

Alex-

#17 ·
When i was looking in late 99 my choice for performance and price was between the celica gts, GTI VR6, Civic Si, and the RS. RS was light, torquey, and the most individualist and different then all the rest. For a long time people thought I was driving a WRX imported, and one chode muffin said it was an EVO VI. May he never be allowed to speak of cars again. Glad I made the choice I did, high retail, very rare, and the performance potential is higher than any other 4 banger I can think of that comes N/A from the factory. Got myself a MY00 Silverthorn metallic and I still get looks to this day.

#19 ·
ScottiE said:
When i was looking in late 99 my choice for performance and price was between the celica gts, GTI VR6, Civic Si, and the RS. RS was light, torquey, and the most individualist and different then all the rest. For a long time people thought I was driving a WRX imported, and one chode muffin said it was an EVO VI. May he never be allowed to speak of cars again. Glad I made the choice I did, high retail, very rare, and the performance potential is higher than any other 4 banger I can think of that comes N/A from the factory. Got myself a MY00 Silverthorn metallic and I still get looks to this day.
LOL chode muffin.

Idiots at my school thought I had an STI. Said they saw an STI badge and a shortshifter decal on my trunk. Had to show them my standard RS badge and "Shorline"(dealership... why the hell would anyone want a 'shortshifter' badge anyways?) badge .

Sheesh.

Definately an eye catcher around here though. I love how noone knows what it is.

#20 ·
Idiots at my school thought I had an STI. Said they saw an STI badge and a shortshifter decal on my trunk. Had to show them my standard RS badge and "Shorline"(dealership... why the hell would anyone want a 'shortshifter' badge anyways?) badge .
LOL, If I get asked one more time how much boost I'm running or "hey that's a turbo, right?" I'm gonna deck some one.

#23 ·
My 98 Legacy GT was starting to develop tranny problems but I was nursing it along waiting for the WRX. I took one look at the official photos of the 2002 WRX and marched right down to the dealership and bought a 2001 while I could still buy an Impreza that didn't look like ass...

#24 ·
i wish that was the case for me. but by the time I switch from 4eat to mt, there was no more MY01RS. :(

Retsyn said:
My 98 Legacy GT was starting to develop tranny problems but I was nursing it along waiting for the WRX. I took one look at the official photos of the 2002 WRX and marched right down to the dealership and bought a 2001 while I could still buy an Impreza that didn't look like ass...

#25 ·
Reason:
-Honda accord with no air or stereo.
-I nearly messed my panted on the first test drive and I don't mean with urine or feces.
-I fell in love with the scoop and bumper.
-my girl said I wouldn't reget it.
-good shocks :devil:
-only 2000 Aspen White Sedan in KY I think.

Other than that I just plum loved it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.