Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a good reason for it?

can I put another metal gear in it's place?

mostly because I want to run no covers.
I like being able to see the gears...

·
Banned
1994 Aegean L, 1998 Panda!
718 Posts
You are telling me the cam gear is plastic? F that buddy.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
The plastic gear is also more friendly on the belt and lighter so it frees a little hp. It also transmits less heat to the belt. There are several advantages to using plastic. As long as you don't bang on it with something harder, it will be ok.

·
Banned
1994 Aegean L, 1998 Panda!
718 Posts
So you tell me 15 years down the road it wont crack or weather? I could just imagine banging on the car and it snapping. Thanks for the information but I'm changing mine to some type of metal (yeah, I'm ignorant).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hehe my old ZX2 had a plastic INTAKE! yeah... but it's good for intake air temps and lighter weight..

just wondering....

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Yep....you're both pretty much ignorant.....

There's nothing wrong with the non-metal gears for most applications. They're some sort of ceramic FRP. I'm not sure of the exact material it's made of, but it's plenty capable of standing up to the test of time.

Running without timing covers is asking for trouble. Doing it for the simple fact that you like to watch the pulleys run around shows alot of ignorance. Things that are done on a track driven (swept track at that) motor should not be considered cool for a daily driver, where rocks/debris can get get caught in the belt and causing it to shred. That is just stupid.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep....you're both pretty much ignorant.....

There's nothing wrong with the non-metal gears for most applications. They're some sort of ceramic FRP. I'm not sure of the exact material it's made of, but it's plenty capable of standing up to the test of time.

Running without timing covers is asking for trouble. Doing it for the simple fact that you like to watch the pulleys run around shows alot of ignorance. Things that are done on a track driven (swept track at that) motor should not be considered cool for a daily driver, where rocks/debris can get get caught in the belt and causing it to shred. That is just stupid.

okay thanks I wasn't asking for your evaluation of my intelligence...
it's always been good for keeping an eye on the belt and quick diagonosis of issues.

the engine is going to be very close to the front of my bay (ea82 bay)
and I've driven cars for years without belt covers and never had a related issue.

KTHNXBAI

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
okay thanks I wasn't asking for your evaluation of my intelligence...
it's always been good for keeping an eye on the belt and quick diagonosis of issues.
the engine is going to be very close to the front of my bay (ea82 bay)
and I've driven cars for years without belt covers and never had a related issue.

KTHNXBAI
I concur with Storm. There's no need to.. "watch the belts". And keeping the covers on there is definitely a good idea. What diagnosis would you be doing?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm sure it's different with the 2.5 trust me the covers are a pain to get off on the old cars..

this thread wasn't about whether or not I would run covers.

but about if I could or couldn't use a metal pulley...
and why the pulley was plastic.

that's resolved now... there is nothing wrong with the plastic pulley
I have a way I like things to look in MY engine bay.
and I intend to have the hood closed and the lower gaurd installed. (so what's getting in my pulleys?)

oh and I hate the fact that I can't clean under the covers... oil and rubber under there anytime I go to work on it. ugh... lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts