Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
'97 BRP OBS w/WRX Swap
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think I could do any better

1999 I-Speed USA 2.5 RS Conversion #10 (1st 2.5-liter AVCS)
The only GC8 to ever compete in the Ultimate Street Car Challenge

Information can also be found on the Crawford Performance Website: Click Here
Gallery of images: Click Here

Sport Compact Car Magazine – December 2004
Written By: Jonathan Lopez
Photos By: Guy Spangenburg
Original Owner: William T. Knose Jr.

Title: Use The Force
1999 Subaru Impreza RS
Everyone has fantasies of flying around in his own spaceship. You know, visiting distant planets, dodging black holes, picking up space chicks dressed in tight silver jumpsuits. Whether you're eight, 18 or 80, it sounds like the perfect lifestyle. Problem is you have to married to Theresa Heinz Kerry to afford such a toy.

Bill Knose of San Jose, Calif., isn't, so he decided to fly on the ground. Bill works at I-Speed USA, a Subaru tuning company, and his ship of choice was the Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS, dubbed the 'X-Wing.'

Accolades:
Feature Sport Compact Car Magazine – December 2004
Ultimate Street Car Challenge Shootout – January 2005
- 1st Place Drivability Competition
- 2nd Place Grandma Test
- 2nd Place Braking Competition
- 2nd Place 1/4 Mile Acceleration
- 1st Place 0-60mph 4.2 seconds (replaced with 20-100 mph this year)

2005 American Touge 2 Competition and Video
- Best Motoring Video of The Drift King (Keiichi Tsuchiya)
Fastest Subaru at the 2004 West Coast Subaru Time Attack Shootout

Engine Modifications:
- Crawford Performance S3L-h Short Block (2.5 liter)
- Crawford Performance CP32 Turbo Kit (400 HP)
- Crawford Performance Cold Air Intake (For Rotated Kits)
- Crawford Performance Intercooler Install Kit (For Rotated Kits)
- Crawford Performance Cat Back Signature Exhaust
- Crawford Performance Air/Oil Separator
- Crawford Performance TGV Deletes
- Crawford Performance Street Max Clutch
- Subaru WRX STI Spec C Tranny and Engine Mounts
- Subaru WRX Version VII 4.444 Final Drive Manual Transmission
- Subaru WRX Version VII 4.444 Rear Differential
- Large Front Mount Intercooler (Size, compare to APS)
- JDM AVCS STI Version VII Heads with Large Ports
- Walbro High Flow (255lph) Fuel Pump
- Siemens 635cc High Impedance Injectors
- Fluidyne Larger Capacity Radiator and Upgraded Fans
- Optima Lightweight Battery

ECU Modifications:
- EcuTeK License on JDM Version 8 WRX STI Spec C ECU
- I-Speed USA Custom Dyno Tune (400HP, 400TQ) on 91 Octane
- EcuTeK License on USDM 2002 WRX ECU (used for smog)
- I-Speed USA Custom Tune for 91 Octane

Suspension And Brake Modifications:
- Prodrive P1 Struts and P1 Springs
- Prodrive Higher Performance Road Pads
- Prodrive Alcon 4 Pot Brakes Front
- Cusco Rear Strut Bar
- Wilwood 2 Pot Brake Rears
- BF Goodrich Stainless Steel Brake Lines
- Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid
- Swift 20mm Front Sway Bar
- Swift 22mm Rear Sway Bar
- Polyurethane Front and Rear End links
- Polyurethane Sway Bar Bushings

Interior and Exterior:
- Version 5 WRX STI Front Lip
- Version 5 WRX STI Fog Light Covers
- Version 5 WRX STI Adjustable Front Seats
- Version 5 WRX STI Rear Seats
- Version 5 WRX STI Shift Knob
- Version 5 WRX STI E-Brake Handle
- Version 5 WRX STI Clear Side Markers
- Version 5 WRX STI Clear Corners Markers
- Version 5 WRX STI Clear RearSignal Lights
- Version 5 WRX STI Clear Front Signal Lights
- Impreza WRX 22B Hood Vents
- Repainted Entire Car – Platinum Color
- Color Matched Side Skirts
- Mirror Tint Rear Windows
- HID Converted Headlights (6000K)
- USDM WRX STI Gauge Cluster
- Autometer Phantom Series Oil Pressure Gauge (Oil Pressure Needs Install)
- Autometer Phantom Series Fuel Pressure Gauge
- Autometer Phantom Series Boost Gauge
- 52mm Gauge Pod Holder
- Real Rota Rims – Advan RG Knock Offs
- Hella Horns replaces original horn
- Sony Xplod Tweeters and Midrange

General Notes:
- The vehicle is in excellent running condition with the following notes below
- VIN: JF1GM6755XG403194 (please review at CarFax.com)
- Engine Swap - Smog legal with California (Inspected by California Referee in 2003, see picture of sticker)
- Crawford Performance S3L-h Short Block (2.5 liter) - 25,000 miles
- Crawford Performance CP32 Turbo Kit - 50,000 miles
- Crawford Performance Street Max Clutch - 60,000 miles
- Subaru Impreza RS Chassis - 125,000 miles
- Prodrive Suspension - 100,000 miles
- Subaru WRX Version VII 4.444 Final Drive Manual Transmission - 60,000 miles
- Subaru WRX Version VII 4.444 Rear Differential - 60,000 miles
- Prodrive Alcon 4 Pot Brake Calipers - 80,000 miles
- Prodrive Front Rotors - 30,000 miles (will need new rotors in about 10k miles)
- Carbontec Brakes pads - 1,000 miles
- Toyo T1-R Tires - 30,000 miles (will need tires in about 7,500 miles)

Track Attendance (D=drag, T=Track)
- Laguna Seca (T) - 2 days (Naturally Aspirated)
- Thunderhill (T) - 2 days (Naturally Aspirated)
- Thunderhill (T) - 2 days (Turbo Charged)
- Buttonwillow (T) - 1 day (Turbo Charged)
- Sears Point (T) - 1 day (Turbo Charged)
- Sears Point (D) - 1 day (Turbo Charged)
- Willow Springs (T) - 1 day (Turbo Charged)
- Qualcomm 1/8 mile (D) - 3 days (Turbo Charged)

Personal Note:
I (William Knose @ I-Speed USA) have owned this vehicle from day one when I purchased it in Burlington, Vermont while I was working at IDX Systems Corporation. What inspired me to purchase this vehicle was the cover of CAR magazine January 2000 Issue. From then on knew I was going to modify it and decided the best place to do that was in California. Besides, the internet boom was still alive and I was hoping I could cash in on the computer science degree I had received only a year earlier.

Once I moved out to California I met up with the original people from I-Club (before the NASIOC / I-Club divorce) and learned a great deal about what could be done to these vehicles. At this point I started investing my own time, energy and hard earned money into building up this vehicle and this is when I-Speed USA was formed in the summer of 2001.

A lot has happened in those 8 years and I finally have reached the end of this project. I have lost many a girlfriend over this particular vehicle and I am getting to a point in my life where I would like to start looking into keeping one the next time around. The X-Wing has a long story behind it, from the day it was purchased, a history that can only be told by whoever owns the vehicle. From the days of the Ultimate Street Car Challenge, driving it to and from the track (including, Thunderhill, Laguna Seca, Buttonwillow, Willow Springs and California Speedway), daily driving it for over 100,000 miles and even being honored by the Drift King himself (Keiichi Tsuchiya), who took it for a few hot laps at the Horse Thief Mile at Willow Springs. This car has had an amazing life and I am sad to see her go, but it time to part ways and move onto the next project in my own life.

If there were to be a history of how the Subaru world grew up to what it is today in North America this would be one of those icons people will always remember. From Magazines, to DVDs, from the first Subaru shootout to the Ultimate Street Car Challenge, it was a dream that became reality. It will be always known as the X-Wing.

Asking $24,995, for serious inquiries please e-mail: [email protected]

As always if you have any questions, please ask.

Cheers,
William T Knose Jr

· Registered
'97 BRP OBS w/WRX Swap
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's an amazing car but last time I checked buying an L and swap bits costed quite a bit less than $25k... ;)

Also, this has nothing to do with a swap so it's in the wrong section. I'm moving it to General...
A smog legal Dual AVCS 2.5L FMIC and GT32 is pretty TITS in my book and you would probably exceed 25k including labor, don't you think?

· Premium Member
95 L-STi
762 Posts
Def way to much money for this guy, I wouldn't appreciate it as much as I will building my own car with my own blood, sweat and tears...because i'm sure busted knuckles, a sweaty brow and a tantrum or 2 are almost guaranteed lol

· Registered
RSTi, STi V6, BRZ Turbo
3,947 Posts
A smog legal Dual AVCS 2.5L FMIC and GT32 is pretty TITS in my book and you would probably exceed 25k including labor, don't you think?
Bill's car is not smog legal by a long shot. Sorry Bill, but I'm tired of this flat out lie. (I love ya man, but come on!) Getting a car to pass an OBD2 check and being legal are two very different things. This car fails visual inspection the moment the hood is popped. That said, this car is a steal and will be loved by it's future owner.

· Registered
2012 Mercedes C250
419 Posts
Bill's car is not smog legal by a long shot. Sorry Bill, but I'm tired of this flat out lie. (I love ya man, but come on!) Getting a car to pass an OBD2 check and being legal are two very different things. This car fails visual inspection the moment the hood is popped. That said, this car is a steal and will be loved by it's future owner.

Hi Kevin,

Good to hear from you again and hope you and your company are doing well. You have some great information about current problems in the conversion market and respect your comments. With the original I-Speed conversions came the impossibly hard to obtain smog legal referee sticker. Every two years I need to bring this vehicle in for a visual inspection, OBD-II check and sniffer test, and the only problems I have had thus far is a failed catalytic converter.

The catalytic converter was one expensive problem to diagnose and replace, because it took us a while to figure out what the actual problem. We originally thought it was an engine problem, so we performed a leak down and it came back like a new engine. Next we thought it had to be something in the ECU tuning, so I put it on the dyno and reviewed everything but once again could not find a problem. Some one mentioned the cat at this point and said sure lets try replacing it, and wammo, that was the problem, went on to pass with flying colors. So far that is the only problem I had, "knock on wood."

Since we do not perform conversions anymore if you are having problems with conversions I am sure we could help you identify what wires are needed to correctly pass smog or how lines need to be plumbed in the engine bay to pass the visual inspection. Just let me know, we are pretty busy but we are here...

In any case I have not heard from you in ages. Truly hope things are going well in your neck of the woods and any new developments on your RS?

Also, thanks for the support of the sale; it definitely is one of the hardest sentimental items I have had to let go of in my life.

Cheers,
Bill

· Registered
RSTi, STi V6, BRZ Turbo
3,947 Posts
Since we do not perform conversions anymore if you are having problems with conversions I am sure we could help you identify what wires are needed to correctly pass smog or how lines need to be plumbed in the engine bay to pass the visual inspection. Just let me know, we are pretty busy but we are here...

Cheers,
Bill
But, you and Chris never even soldered a single wire...

Here's the problem with the internet folklore you created all those years ago. The part you left out for everyone to hear is the fact that the car was never smog LEGAL. Can you get some hack smog shop to get a car like yours to pass a half ass smog test?...sure. I know of a place that just wants the OBD2 scanner to pass with no codes. This is not legal. GIGANTIC rotated turbos are not smog legal. For the average man with no shop or tools like us, it would cost thousands of dollars to get your car to pass a CA referee test. Not only would you have to change the intake manifold to one with TGVs, but you would also have to change the wiring to even use your other ecu as the AVCS wires go to where the TGV wires go. Yes, using software we could turn off the TGVs and make it appear that they are there, but you use the word "legal" which this is not.

Since you asked, my RS is doing pretty sweet. I finished the GT40R twin scroll turbo kit and funtastic intercooler setup. We never actually tuned it as the motor was pretty tired from the old GT30R. It's getting pulled this weekend and will be rebuilt with new Spec C heads with Kelford cams and bigger valves, lighter forged rods, and better forged pistons (CP ftl.) I finally got those S202 seats that I passed up years ago. Endless brakes, six speed, bla bla bla. You should come up and check out our new shops. We recently had to rent an additional building just to build engines and transmissions in. It's been too long. Am I still an off limits play buddy according to Quirk and Chris? Call me man, I miss ya!

· Registered
2012 Mercedes C250
419 Posts
Hi All,

I would like to thank Kevin for asking these questions as I am sure many people have the same questions about smog on this vehicle or conversions in general and want to know more details. As stated by Kevin it does cost quite a bit to pass smog through the California referee and another reason why this car is quite valuable.

Here is the smog legal sticker from the California Smog Referee. It is a little washed out from washing the car over the years but still legit as you can get. You can have the state DMV pull up this information on this vehicle and it will be noted that it has been swapped for an 02 WRX and is smog legal.

After you have one of these miracle stickers, drive it down to your local California smog shop and have them inspect the vehicle according to the rules set by the California DMV. According to these rules there are certain items that are required on the vehicle, such as a proper fuel lines, evaporative system, engine breather system and various other smog related items on the vehicle, basically anything that can be released to the atmosphere needs to be plumbed back into the engine. As long as all these mechanical items follow the codes set by the California DMV your car will pass the visual inspection. This is not cheap by any means, but is worth every penny when you get pulled over and are asked to pop your hood. Just show them that little sticker and you are on your way.

If any interested parties have any questions please ask, I will answer them the best that I can.

Cheers,
Bill

· 13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
6,004 Posts
$24,995?! I'd rather buy a brand-new WRX with a warranty and 0 miles. That's a lot of jack for a highly-modified (read: possibly unreliable and expensive to repair) 10 year old car with a good bit of mileage and beatings on it. It's an awesome car, don't get me wrong, but I can think of a lot of better things to spend $25k on.

· Registered
RSTi, STi V6, BRZ Turbo
3,947 Posts
Actually, since your sticker is pretty much gone, you need to take your car back to the referee. We have the guy put the sticker on the door sill now so that this doesn't happen. Bill, your car was awarded the magical sticker back when you had a bone stock engine bay. The modifications you have made have taken it out of spec. All the sticker says is how to smog the car, as an 02 WRX. You still fail for not having things like the stock turbo etc... You need to be careful with your words on this one. In CA, the seller is legally responsible for the smog process. I'd hate to have a buyer take you to court and force you to return the car to stock WRX status over this. This is starting to feel like that old saying about arguing over the internet and the Special Olympics. I just can't let this one go because I'm the one that has to spend 15 minutes on the phone explaining how there is no such thing as a smog legal jdm motor, much less so a rotated turbo! BTW, had you kept the stock BOV, at least the front mount would be legal. ;)

Cheers,
Kevin

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.