Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2000 AW GM6
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im bored right now and i was thinking why there arent any americans (lest that i know of) in wrc? are we just not good enough or what? i wouldnt mind seeing what travis could do against the wrc guys...

·
Registered
1999, 2.5 RSTi, RBP
2,239 Posts
Travis has been doing the PWRC though whenever Rally America isn't going on that is. He thinks Rally America is more important than the WRC. I would think other wise. I would like to see an american in the WRC but doubt it will happen. Unless Travis gains a lot of skills and talent over the next few years. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS-T srp sedan
2,732 Posts
travis will last 2 seconds in wrc....dude can't keep a car together

·
Registered
1999 ver7 coupe
504 Posts
Travis is not the best rally driver in north america imo, he is just the most well funded. It's not hard to pull down consistant wins when your car is miles ahead of what your competitors are using.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
yeah i dont think travis would survive wrc, the courses tend to be less forgiving.

·
Banned
349 Posts
I honestly think it is money. Why would someone who has come up in racing in America, NOT try to get into NASCAR? There is so much more money that could possibly be made in NASCAR than in WRC.

·
wood grain grippin'
v2 STi wagon
3,399 Posts
I honestly think it is money. Why would someone who has come up in racing in America, NOT try to get into NASCAR? There is so much more money that could possibly be made in NASCAR than in WRC.
indeed.

America is still very busy with drag racing and NASCAR. Circle track racing is pretty big, too.

·
Registered
97 OBS
88 Posts
indeed.

America is still very busy with drag racing and NASCAR. Circle track racing is pretty big, too.
This is mainly because Americans have an extremely short attention span. The only reason why people can watch a 500 mile race is to see the wrecks and since it's in big f***ing circle you can watch the whole track. The talent needed to drive in uncontrolled environment such as RA or WRC is exponentially higher than what it takes to run nascar or drag. The talent is out there waiting to be found. To assume that in a country of 300+ million that has some of the finest athletes in all manner of sport can't produce at least one world class driver per decade is ridiculous. But it will take more participation at the local level by all of us "wanna be" rally racers to better develop that as yet unidentified talent.

·
Registered
impreza base!
780 Posts
Kyle Sarasin I think has what it takes given a few years. he took 3rd in the rally America series did really well in the focus and hes only 19. He's able to be fast and not completely trash the car like block and pastrana tend to do.

·
Registered
97 OBS
88 Posts
Kyle Sarasin I think has what it takes given a few years. he took 3rd in the rally America series did really well in the focus and hes only 19. He's able to be fast and not completely trash the car like block and pastrana tend to do.
Yes he has the talent but I seriously doubt it will be anyone from the current generation of drivers that makes the breakthrough. The top drivers currently in the WRC have for the most part grown up in an environment which has cultured their driving skills since they were children. That is what we need here in the US. Just as we have youth baseball, football, soccer etc, we also need a youth driving program. While they do exist on a small and local scale it is not nearly developed or popular enough to create a competetive "feeder" system for the more elite racing circuits.

·
Registered
N/A :(
291 Posts
Yes he has the talent but I seriously doubt it will be anyone from the current generation of drivers that makes the breakthrough. The top drivers currently in the WRC have for the most part grown up in an environment which has cultured their driving skills since they were children. That is what we need here in the US. Just as we have youth baseball, football, soccer etc, we also need a youth driving program. While they do exist on a small and local scale it is not nearly developed or popular enough to create a competetive "feeder" system for the more elite racing circuits.
Thats why we have the worlds best motocrossers (NOT Pastrana lol).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts