Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 RS Emerald Green Racekor
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanting to see who races chumpcar and what you race? Doesn't have to be in a Suby. Me and my cousin have a team with 2 civics, 1 integra and my RS. We rent out seats for the southeast region. I am really focusing on the WRL (Front | World Racing League) next year as I like the idea of power to weight ratio as opposed to $500 competition value. So just seeing if there are any others out there.

Josh

·
the hard way
1972 240Z
10,462 Posts
interesting, ive been looking into similar things as i have a cheapo GF i bought for rallyx that i wouldnt mind getting more moneys worth out of in something like chump/lemons. i was mostly looking into the similar IT-EZ class springing up (basically chump/lemons car rules but SCCA IT format rather than endurance)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just ran my first Chumpcar race at Road Atlanta last weekend (team ponticrap fiero). Definitely hooked. Going to build an early impreza for it...just looking for the right starter car.

Saw the new league... I am sure I will run with them eventually.

·
Impreza Connoisseur
95 RSTi coupe, 05 STi, 05 FXT
582 Posts
I was invited to be part of a ChumpCar team that fielded a Miata back in 2012 and I have been wanting to get back on a team since then. According to the new rules, it appears ChumpCar has done the assessing for you now. Before then, you had to prove that your car was worth $500. Now they just look it up in a table, add up your mods, then come to a final price.

While shopping around for a car to build myself, I looked up that they assess the 2.5RS as $385. The rules state that if you run the optional turbo for that model, you increase the total value $100. So, I was thinking in my head: 2.5RS + EJ257 swap = WIN?!?!?!? Am I skirting the rules (hint: YES!)

Anyways, I'm thinking a SC300 or 240SX is a great car to build up. My track is a pretty long track, and the higher HP cars do better. The Miata was great in the corners, but just suffered in the straights.

·
project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
3,396 Posts
Me and some guys from work race a '95 Legacy with an early EJ22. Two LeMons races and one Chump so far, all at NJMP, and one of each left to go this year (one at NJMP, one at Watkins Glen).

It's pretty slow versus the V8olvos and E30's, but we turn a lot of laps because the engine is pretty much bulletproof and the suspension setup is solid. I'd love to see this engine in something like a RWD Justy. It'd be a beast.

·
Impreza Connoisseur
95 RSTi coupe, 05 STi, 05 FXT
582 Posts
Reliability is key for sure. Besides our occasional overheating issues on Day 1 with the Miata (they are known for it, plus it was 102 degrees), the thing ran perfectly. Another team that was running a mid 90s Legacy had wiring gremlins on Lap 2, and spent the rest of the day figuring them out. I felt bad for them......

·
Registered
2001 RS Emerald Green Racekor
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I am gearing my RS for WRL next year. Have to finish her up tho. I rented seats out in our chumpcars this year. We ran 2 civics and an Integra.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts