Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
silver 2000 2.5rs
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my swap/build is finally done and tuned, now after all the things that have gone wrong over the past year and half i am so paranoid about something going wrong that i cant even enjoy my car anymore, literally to the point that im thinking of selling it to get rid off the stress it brings me.

Ok, lemme explain, back in the day when my rs was n/a i used to beat the crap out of my car off roading and rallying, and didnt think anything of it. i got my friend into RS's and he fell for them hard, he dumped more money into his in the few months he had his than i had in the year and half i had mine, then he bought a complete wrx swap and died the night he bought it riding his bike back to his coast guard station. so i decided to do his swap in his memory in my rs, well i spent all last summer doing it and when i fired it up it was already blown, so i found a wrx short block that had a timing belt idler seize and bent valves. i tore it down, checked for damage and measured everything, tossed new bearings in it, and rebuilt the engine, i ended up with oil pressure issues and it developed a rod knock 1500miles in.
i then decided to start from scratch, purchased a clean set of heads, cleaned them tediously, bought a 2.1l from outfront motorsports. put it all together running a vf-39, sti pinks and a sti tmic, tgv deletes, equal length headers, up-pipe and turbo back exhaust. just got it tuned 3 weeks ago and made 301 whp maxing out my injectors. everything is running fine, but every little noise(valve ticks mainly) is messing with my head, not to mention i have no carpet and all the firewall sound deadening is removed so i hear everything.

just wondering if anyone else is having the same issue?

·
Registered
'97 BrightonRS '93 Impreza FWD
1,085 Posts
I was paranoid with my 300ZXT... I babied it like no other... Then one morning it met a curb and was never drivin again. I thoroughly enjoy every moment of driving my car now...

·
Registered
Red 2007 BMW Z4 M-Coupe
1,331 Posts
For the longest time I have been really over-protective of my car to enjoy it. Over the last few months I've really gained my confidence in my setup and am enjoying the car much more now than ever before. I'm still really careful with the car but the fear is fading.

·
Registered
11 wrx & 15 fozzy 2.5i
2,001 Posts
my story

i bought my rs with 18x,000 miles, stock engine i guess, installed a ej22t block an ran a tdo4, was stupid and didn't use an Engine management to test it, came back to the shop with damaged bearings, fuel got into the oil pan from running rich as hell. got ready a 02 rs engine and tranny, swapped everything and added the custom turbo kit to that engine, ran 7 months at 9-10lbs of boost with stock injectors, lean and everything, added an emanage and beated on it like a maniac few times. engine came out of the car with 170 psi on every cylinder!! finished my wrx swap few months ago and it's been running kind of lean under boost also. my tuner told me to not beat on it and i been very carefully this time, but i've had plenty fun to be happy with it. i don't car if is running lean sometimes.

·
19psi>3psi :)
2009 DGM STI
1,845 Posts
I beat the crap out my car daily...different car now but still. Shits gonna happen. I just cracked a ringland but guess what. Old garbage pistons are being replaced with wisecos now. Id never buy a car that I couldn't drive the way I wanted. I beat the bag out of my rs too. Both when it was n/a then the rs-t. There's no point in having a car if you don't actually drive it.

·
Registered
silver 2000 2.5rs
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think im just exhausted after all the research and prep work that i put into building this new engine, especially after all that i went through with the initial wrx engine and the rebuild attempt plus the money that was invested. really the paranoia is expected right now since i haven't had a chance to put enough mileage on it to gain any confidence(~250mi since tune), especially since i did all the work and if something goes wrong i only have myself to blame.

·
Registered
Green 97 OBS
1,840 Posts
I am only worried about exhaust tickets
Lol, with that setup I would be too. Some cops just can't handle the music of the EG33...

I can't really add input yet OP. Although I can say I've felt your friend's pain. After assembling my build engine over the course of 5 months, I started it up and the oil pump failed and destroyed the engine on the first break-in run. :(

But hopefully in january I'll be able to add something, but I can definitely see how worried you can be with every little noise irking you. But I think that will eventually fade.

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Well shit, I'm going to save up enough $$ for another 4eat or a 6spd swap, after that money is saved up I'll have no issues driving my car to the EG's limit :).

Just gotta live life a 1\4 mile at a time ;)

·
OG GC
OG 01 STM 2.5 RS
1,506 Posts
Yeah, I am. I know these cars are not gold but mine was brand new and have spent way too much $$$ on it getting her too look the way I want. I hate parking it anywhere, driving around with all the distracted drivers, rock chips, messing up the suede on the seats, etc,etc. But I guess I've felt that way about every car I've owned. Heck I'm even becoming paranoid drivng my daily SVX around :noes:

·
Registered
This week: 2005 Legacy GT
1,014 Posts
I was the same way, and I ended up selling my car lol. Didn't last though, I was back in a Subaru a year later.

·
Enthusiast
2001 SRP L
2,513 Posts
Why buy a car and not drive it the way you want it? Yeah it would suck if you wreck it, but its replaceable. Does it cost money? YES! But why invest in something you don't enjoy? I mean, i don't mean this by "YO I BOUGHT THIS CAR TO RACE IT SO I BROUGHT IT DOWN TOWN TO TEAR UP A COUPLE CIVICS" what i mean is, if you want a nice daily, then drive it as a daily, if you want a track car, drive it at the track. If you or someone wreck it, there is insurance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.