Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1994 Aegean L, 1998 Panda!
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its strange, I have a bad coil pack and suddenly my valve lash is out of whack. I will be getting the coil pack and adjusting my valve lash in the afternoon. Is there a reason my oil smells like gas? I do know that the right side front piston is pissed that it misses sparks but could that cause gas to get into my engine oil? It was changed some 1000 miles ago.
Heck while I'm at it, where do I find out what spec the valves need to be adjusted to?

·
Registered
2001 RS 2.5
640 Posts
I dont know much,

but you could be having a bunch of blow by and the smog stuff is recycling gassy oil. The gas in the oil would prob thin it a bunch. If its pissed and not sparking then there would be no blow by huh?

Just babbling

JoeMack

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
Your oil smells like gas because you are running really rich sub 10s generally. Valve lash depends on engine. I know the SOHC is 8 and 10 thousandths intake and exhaust. The WRX is also the same.

·
Banned
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1.8L SOHC (i think). I've been running a mixture of plus and premium fuel lately and coupled with cylinder 1(right front) not getting a good spark and bogging every once in a while it may just be excess fuel getting into my oil?

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
It might. I think the ej18 is MLA. Which means you can't adjust the lifters. You would have to clean or replace the ones that are sticky.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Why are you running plus and premium? If your car was made to run on 87, then run 87, anything else will be harder to burn, making the weak spark problem even worse. Not to mention that you can save yourself ~ $0.20/gal.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
A higher octane rating doesn't make fuel harder to burn, it just doesn't give any performance benefit, since the ECU isn't tuned to take advantage of higher octane fuel.

As for the oil smelling of gas, have you been using any fuel system cleaners or additives? A lot of those will get into the oil.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Evilclown said:
A higher octane rating doesn't make fuel harder to burn, it just doesn't give any performance benefit, since the ECU isn't tuned to take advantage of higher octane fuel.
Actually, higher octane burns slower (and cooler), meaning there's a good chance the way the engine is setup that he's not getting complete burn, meaning lots of unburned fuel in the combustion chamber.

Bad gas mileage, super-rich AFRs, and fuel in the oil are all possibilities. A switch to the 87 octane would partially correct the problem, but fuel in the oil points to larger problems, though considering the car's age, poor compression could let more unburned fuel through.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
No, higher octane means it takes higher pressures for it to spontaneously ignite. It's still a combination of octane and heptane, so it still burns at the same rate and temperature when ignited by a spark plug.

·
Banned
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do see an immediate jump in performance when switching to higher octane whether the ECU can manage or not...

I did use a few gas-tank added fuel injector cleaners before I found out I needed a coil pack to (most likely) cure the bucking. So I'm running rich, on 3.5 cylinders, with fuel additive, and clogged lifter valves. I'm just hoping these are all contributing to the problem. I'm going to get some additives to help clean the valve holes (these things do work) and get the coil pack on there with a fresh oil change... The previous owners did allot of work also.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
The fuel additive is why your oil smells like gas. When using that stuff, you have to change the oil after the third treatment, since it gets into the oil.

You perceive a jump in performance because you know you used premium. All else being equal, the difference on a dyno would be negligible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts