Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have Whiteline low or superlow springs? I'm curious as to how firm they really are and how much they'd actually lower the car. I'd prolly use them w/ my existing AGXs and eventually replace most of the suspension parts with whiteline stuff (I currently have Eibach springs and a 20mm STI rear bar).

·
Registered
MY00 2.5RS(RIP)02WRXWagon
86 Posts
I had the lows on my RS. They were a pretty comfy spring with a relatively soft initial travel that ramped up to a pretty firm compressed state. These were supposedly tested pretty heavily by Whiteline with the AGX's and are a very good match. You might want to consider the STI strut tops to eliminate the slight bounce/oscillation that most folks experience with the stock mounts and firm suspension. Plus they are a reasonable price. Some have had concerns with the finish. the blue powder coating started to wear off where the coils contacted each other. It never bothered me. Its not like the springs are going to break from a little surface corrosion.

I actually have a used set of rear lows with spring silencers already installed sitting around if you want them for cheap. then you'd just need to get the fronts at full price! :happynow:

email me: [email protected]

Arnie

Hmm, just read your post and, actually, there would be no need to go to another spring set since you already have one. The Eibachs are good springs with a proper drop and decent spring rates. The Whitelines are just a bit firmer. maybe 10-20 lb/in up front? You could go with the super lows which would lower you car about another inch from where you are right now but you would be reaching the upper (lower?) limits of your strut travel. Which is not too great.

If you are intent on fitting your car with more whiteline stuff I would suggest the Anti Lift Kit and front and rear endlinks if you don't have them yet. The ALK is fantastic and I can't rave enough about it whenever the subject comes up. Get the comfort version if your roads suck. The links will go a long way to getting your bar rate activated sooner than the stock, compliant endlinks. Makes a noticeable difference up front too, with sharper turn in.

The adjustable sway bars are nice if you want to play around with the rates and see what they do. i would avoid the big bars. Just stick with the 18-22mm rear. That's plenty. If you do insist on going bigger, get the rear heavy duty sway bar mount. The big bars on the stiffest setting will snap the stock bracket off pretty quick after a few autox's.

Strut Tower bars didn't seem to make a whole much a difference. maybe a bit. But nothing like having the bigger than stock rear bar or the ALK.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why did you seperate the fronts and rears? About how low were they?

·
Registered
86 Posts
i felt that the rears were a bit lower than the specified height that Whiteline said they should be. Giving that dead body in the trunk look. So they sent me a new set (for free!)that was higher. In the end it was okay, visually, (even drop all around) but the lower rear springs actually handled much better. By adding the spring silencers to the lower rear springs, the heigth would have been raised about another 1 cm and would have been probably okay. Then my car got totalled before I could put the old lower springs back on.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That wouldn't be too bad, although my Eibachs do that and I kinda wanted to avoid to much of a height difference again. I run 205-50-16 tires and with the Eibachs I can't get my floor jack under the rear diff, I have to pull the sideskirts and use the pinch welds to jack the car up with if I want to have room to place jackstands. It wouldn't be a big deal, but I "injured" the pinch weld last time I was under the car.

I also would think that an entirely Whiteline suspension would be more balanced.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Certainly, a mated suspension will usually be better than a pieced together kit. Unfortunately Whiteline do not offer a strut/spring combo from in house. I do believe they have tuned sets of DMS coilovers specifically matched for the rest of their components. perhaps the Koni inserts as well, I'd have to check with Jim Gurieff to make sure.

As far as height differences front and rear (wheel gap), there are real reasons why manufacturers design their spring kits this way (front a bit higher than rear fender gap). They analyze the roll centers, travel, etc. and this is what they come up with. Eibach and Whiteline don't make products just for looks. They do a lot of research in proper handling characteristics. so despite having the hanging rear, I have to respect and trust these suspension tuners knowledge that the ride heights ar optimal for our application. Look at the STI suspension, its set up the same way. Most folks with coilovers go for even fender gap and to hell with decent handling. To them decent handling is a crash bang, stifff ride with no body roll and less wheel travel. That may be okay for a glass smooth track but for the street, yikes! A really good setup, despite the fact that it is non-adjustable, is the V5 Strut and P1 spring. That is what Mike Shields is running in the SPD car right now. Took a ride in it a few months ago and it was great. Mike usually likes to run less bar than most, so that the independent suspension keeps tracking. He runs a 20 mm rear with stock front. On a rough road course his car just tracks nicely, stays planted and doesn't skitter across bumps like the folks with their rock hard track dedicated coilovers.

I dunno, something to think about.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very true. I respect Mike Shields opinion on all things Subaru more than almost anyone else, although I think I prolly do like a more radical suspension than most. I had my AGXs set 3/4 the way up this weekend drving around the Boston area and I practically needed a kidney belt. That is also part of my concern, as I prolly won't be living on the cape anymore and will be somewhere outside of Boston where I can actually make enough money to live.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here are a couple of other suspension suggestions:

The WR Prodrive suspension is still available, very nice and plenty stiff. Not rock hard, like when you crank you AGX's all the way stiff.

By the way, the P1 setup is pretty stiff. Though i can't compare it to the AGX's. I will say it was stiffer than my Whiteline Low's with V5 struts.

Another is the STI adjustable strut with the lower STI springs. Check out Rallispec's site. Its listed on there. Okay, much more money but also very nice and, as we mentioned before they are matched sets. So you know the springs are tuned for the struts. Plus they are adjustable if you want to go really flat into the corners. If you are really hard core then they also offer the Tarmac struts and springs. These just have to be rock hard but great if you are flicking your car into a 60mph 90 degree turn!

I'm personally not really into coilovers, but if I were to, then I would go with DMS 50's. Very nice valving on these struts. Rallylength, street valved version with STI strut tops. Get them corner weighted, set them up properly and go punish some WRX owner in the twisties!

Good luck and I hope I was able to help a bit.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I had big $ around to throw at suspension I'd get the Tein setup with the elec. control box. but I really don't feel the need to change height all the time. I also don't need to realign the car that much either.

·
at apex, on throttle
'99 RS, '02 Legacy, '10 'beca
1,184 Posts
Arnie.... I'd like to see some pics of your car with the Whiteline springs with the higher one in the rear.

I've got a GF8 wagon and am considering the Whiteline springs with the taller rear spring for my wagon. Just want to see that the 30mm drop quoted is correct and see if I could live with it... Currently I have stock RS suspension on my OBS left over from my other car. It rides good handles decent (I Miss my STi V6 Type RA suspension), but the front is a bit higher than I'd like, which is typical of sedan/coupe suspensions on a wagon. Looks isn't important though, handling is. The Whitelines with KYB's would do that and the taller spring might be the best call for the wagon... will still proablly sit a bit un even, but will handle great (lower in rear = best turn in on a suby).

Can you help me out with some side shots of your car and please measure your height from the top center of the wheel well to the center of your wheel.

Thanks - Jon

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Jon!

Here are some pics of the ride height of my car with the taller rear springs. They are part # 70384. combine those with front spring part # 80066A. This would actually be better for the wagon as there is it more weight back there compared to a coupe or sedan. yours would probabl sit just a tad lower.

Unfortunately I did not get final measurements before my car was totalled.

Front:

Attachments

·
at apex, on throttle
1,184 Posts
Are those stock size 205/55-16 tires? They sure look smaller.

This is the Whitelines with KYB adjustables... I may have to invest in these... My rear now sits that low on the stock RS suspension.... I'm guessing that might be partly due to the heavy hitch that was on my car when I bought it. It's rusted on so will be a bear to get off.

Thanks - Jon

·
Registered
86 Posts
whoops, sorry about the lack of info! the tires are Pirelli P-Zero Rosso 205/50-16

On Whitelines w/V5 struts.

by the way, i just checked the weather info in your Subaru site. 45 degress! yikes, its a balmy 70 or so here in So Cal.:D

·
at apex, on throttle
1,184 Posts
Arnie,

So how well do they perform with the version 5 struts??

Do you think KYB AGX's would be worth them money to help dial them in or do the springs seem well matched to the struts? I've very picky and not a fan of unmatched sets, but with an adjustable strut, it can't be too bad.

Do you have any pictures of your car with stock sized tires on it or not? Just curious.

Thanks for the info/pics.

Jon

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Jon,

sorry no, pics with 205/55-16's.

How do they ride/compatibility with V5 struts? I would have prefered the V5 springs to get a matched set. However, it was pretty good as the spring rates are pretty close to the V5 springs, the Whitelines being perhaps a tad softer. The initial travel is relatively soft so its good around town and it ramps of pretty quickly to full firm.

Jim told me these were tested pretty heavily with the AGX's and are a really good match. I think if you do any sort of competitive driving like autox's then go with the AGX's. They will give you the ability to fine tune things to your needs if you are finicky. Will you able to feel the difference of the 40mm inverted strut stability that the V5 have? I don't know. I think STI top mounts are a good idea as I did suffer from a little bit of the highway jiggle. Its by no mean extreme and not even as bad as most that I have seen, just the usual firm suspension jiggle.

·
at apex, on throttle
1,184 Posts
What's the diameter of the KYB's? aren't they in the upper 30mm or so?

Just curious.

Thanks - Jon

·
Registered
86 Posts
not sure on the precise diameter of the AGX's but they seem to be(from what I have seen in pics) the standard "thin" diameter piston. Puny compared to the 40mm inverted piston V5's. Not to say that they are bad, actually from what I have seen in pics of the adjustable STI struts, I think that they might be the same or at least similar strut. The STI adjustable and AGX look to have the same diameter piston and the adjustment knobs also look very similar. I'm sure the valving is different, however.

·
at apex, on throttle
1,184 Posts
I'm willing to bet KYB makes the STi adjustables too. Since they make all the stock struts for the scooby's.

Adjustability would be nice, but when I had the V6 STi RA suspension on my car... I really was pleased with the struts and think the stability I had was partly due to the piston diameter.

Hmm... what should I do. I'm contemplated the Prodrive P1 springs too, but am worried about rear height issues... Why must selection for wagons be so hard?

:D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts