Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS (STM)
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and there seems to be no good answer. I have a whining sound going on when I accelerate and decelerate. When I decelerate, the car shudders. The whining increases in sound/rate as I press the gas pedal. Mechanic said it's the tranny and I should probably change the fluid since the car has 114k miles on it. Any suggestions as to what it may be? This seems to be a common yet unanswered problem on 2.5RS's

·
Registered
sold it to Susie the Subie
3,233 Posts
did you install speakers recently? Could be a bad grounding if you just did speakers

·
Premium Member
2001 2.5RS-T BRP
575 Posts
Do you still have the noise at steady speed and throttle or is it only when accelerating or decelerating? Can you describe the shudder better? How does the car feel if you try to drive in really tight circles, any shudder then?

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS (STM)
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the noise at a steady speed and throttle and the shudder when i decelerate is like a 2 second jerkiness. No shudder on turning... there used to be when I first got the car back in Feb but I tightened the power steering tensioner and replaced my power steering fluid and that shudder upon turning went away

·
Premium Member
2001 2.5RS-T BRP
575 Posts

·
Registered
1998 GF4
125 Posts
one trans additive is Lucas Transmission Fix.

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS (STM)
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haven't changed my tranny fluid yet but the sound is getting more annoying and the car always jerks when I let off the gas after accelerating... I'm thinking that changing the tranny fluid wont fix the problem. Anyone have any other suggestions? I don't know what the problem could be

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Maybe a transmission or engine mount is bad and there is no rubber to keep the noise from being transmitted into the car because its resting metal to metal. That would also explain the jerking...

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS (STM)
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think I'm going to take a video to record the sound that is coming from the engine/transmission.. I'm thinking that changing the transmission mount won't fix the problem...

to better describe the sound, imagine the sound of a power drill speeding up... that's how the car sounds when i accelerate, then when I decelerate, it sounds like a power drill speeding down as well as some jerkiness of the car as soon as I let off the gas pedal

1 - 20 of 41 Posts