Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Impreza base model with 5 speed manual, 203K miles. It's a lot of miles, i know, but was hoping to push this thing a little further.
Tranny makes a whining/coffee grinder'ish noise when decelerating in gear, apply throttle and it almost disappears. Does the same in Neutral. Not super loud but noticeable.

Shop told me a re-build with bearing kit runs about $2K.

Unit was always maintained, gear oil changed every 50K. Tires always kept within size limits

Anyone else see or hear this?
thank you

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,584 Posts
I've had good luck with junkyard transmissions. You can pick them up for a few hundred.

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS, 99L
343 Posts
My porsche does this and I was told it's something to do with one of the bearings on the main shaft that's loose/worn. When under load the bearing is pushed up against the shaft and it stays put and doesnt make noise. Ive been driving it like that and just always keep my foot slightly on the throttle or I'm coasting in neutral because the noise is super annoying. Id swap out for a junkard 5speed too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This happened to me as well as the trans popping out of 4th gear on decal. I found a trans off Facebook for $200. Definetly wouldn't pay for a rebuild, much cheaper to find a used trans.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the all the replies. I asked the shop about a used unit and was told it's hard to find good used ones. With the car being 15 years old, any used tranny risks being just as worn out. Any tips to finding a good used tranny with verifiable low miles? Do you guys recommend a wrecking yard or private CL listing?
The problem with the yards I've found is that everything they sell is typically pulled and sitting on a shelf, and all of it has " less than 50K miles"
If i look for one, if anyone knows please post the date of manufacture range of compatible 5 speeds.
My porsche does this and I was told it's something to do with one of the bearings on the main shaft that's loose/worn. When under load the bearing is pushed up against the shaft and it stays put and doesn't make noise. Ive been driving it like that and just always keep my foot slightly on the throttle or I'm coasting in neutral because the noise is super annoying. Id swap out for a junkyard 5speed too.
makes sense, I've had worn out rear axles on rear wheel drive American cars that did the same thing. We just had a truck axle rebuilt for $1200., new bearings, seals, ring and pinion.
I think the problem with worn bearings is that eventually you wear out the gears themselves since it's affecting how they engage each other.

This happened to me as well as the trans popping out of 4th gear on decel. I found a trans off Facebook for $200. Definetly wouldn't pay for a rebuild, much cheaper to find a used trans.
My 4th gear is really notchy on the 3-4 shift too, been this way for a very long time.

Other issues is I have
1) worn out Catalytic converter - $1600.
2) broken windshield and significant rust bubbling up around the roof/windshield junction area . Paint is also completely shot and hail damaged body
3) Will need a timing belt again in 50K miles- $1200.
combined with the tranny issues, keep repairing or replace vehicle?

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS, 99L
343 Posts
I mean it's a base 2006 impreza, they're super prevalent everywhere. I'm sure you can sell yours and find a clean one for probably the same price. It's totally up to you, if it was an RS I'd probably say keep it, but I see cars like yours for under $3000 all day on craigslist.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yea they're gonna tell you that they're hard to find because they want to make more money by rebuilding your trans. Used Subaru transmissions are definetly out there just takes some time tracking down the correct one.

As far as the worn catalytic converter goes, unless you really care about the environment and wanna spend $1600 to save some trees, id get an O2 sensor spacer, otherwise known as a spark plug de-fowler, that'll keep from throwing a ~p0420~ catalytic converter code. Costs like $15 on eBay, just make sure you get the correct thread pitch.

With the windshield, if you want to have it replaced, while it's out you can sand down the rust and fill it in if its not too rusted out, just depends if the rust has fully penetrated or not.

These are all my personal opinions from my own experience, i'm all about saving money and trying to do things myself. Im on my second Subie and learned how to do everything from oil changes to engine swaps. If you are confident in your skills all of this is possible to do on your own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I mean it's a base 2006 impreza, they're super prevalent everywhere. I'm sure you can sell yours and find a clean one for probably the same price. It's totally up to you, if it was an RS I'd probably say keep it, but I see cars like yours for under $3000 all day on craigslist.
I wish that was true here, in the Denver area the absolute cheapest Subaru is a 2009 Impreza outback sport with 175K miles and hail damage for $5K. For anything below 125K miles, price jumps to $8K+
what part of the country are you in? maybe i need tot travel somewhere to buy

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wish that was true here, in the Denver area the absolute cheapest Subaru is a 2009 Impreza outback sport with 175K miles and hail damage for $5K. For anything below 125K miles, price jumps to $8K+
what part of the country are you in? maybe i need tot travel somewhere to buy
Look in New England, New York, PA. They're very common at that price point.

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS, 99L
343 Posts
I'm in New Jersey, you could literally fly here for $300, stay overnight for $100, uber to the car for $50-100, and either drive it home for $400 or have it shipped out for like $1200. Add all that up and you're saving at least 3 grand. Hell you could buy two of them and ship one back and drive the other and flip it when you get home. Subarus are cheapy cheapy in the northeast, but they tend to have some sort of rust.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as the worn catalytic converter goes, unless you really care about the environment and wanna spend $1600 to save some trees, id get an O2 sensor spacer, otherwise known as a spark plug de-fowler, that'll keep from throwing a ~p0420~ catalytic converter code. Costs like $15 on eBay, just make sure you get the correct thread pitch.
thanks, do you know which O2? I think there at least 2 and may 3?
Yea they're gonna tell you that they're hard to find because they want to make more money by rebuilding your trans. Used Subaru transmissions are definetly out there just takes some time tracking down the correct one.
These are all my personal opinions from my own experience, i'm all about saving money and trying to do things myself. Im on my second Subie and learned how to do everything from oil changes to engine swaps. If you are confident in your skills all of this is possible to do on your own.
thanks, I'm the same way. I do lot of my own work and save as much as possible.
actually looking on CL and there's a used tranny in Thornton (Denver Suburb) but the guy wants $1K and he doesn't know mileage on it. Another concern is he posted this chart. Looks like it would be easy to get the wrong one if it's out of the car.

Look in New England, New York, PA. They're very common at that price point.
that makes more sense now, they Salt the roads there and it just eats cars :( Here it's just Sand and not even much of that

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
645 Posts
I had the same problem with a JDM V5 STI transmission (5 speed, from a '99 clip). A large part of it was from the pressure plate, specifically an Exedy Stage 2 (whatever that is - "street"? a bump up from OEM). Took the same flywheel, pressure plate, and friction disk - moved them onto my FXT and the same sound (chatter at idle, quiet under acceleration) came back. It's also caused by the front and/or center diff pre-load and tension but that's a bit more involved.

I've since swapped to a JDM 6-speed, but If I were dealing with it again, I'd start with an OEM friction disk, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing.

-TC

·
Registered
33 Posts
thanks, do you know which O2? I think there at least 2 and may 3?
thanks, I'm the same way. I do lot of my own work and save as much as possible.
actually looking on CL and there's a used tranny in Thornton (Denver Suburb) but the guy wants $1K and he doesn't know mileage on it. Another concern is he posted this chart. Looks like it would be easy to get the wrong one if it's out of the car.

that makes more sense now, they Salt the roads there and it just eats cars :( Here it's just Sand and not even much of that
Final drive ratio just had to match your rear diff, the ratio's of each gear don't matter its only the final drive ratio that matters.

With the O2 sensors from my experience on the Subaru's there are usually two, one of them before the catalytic converter, and one after it. You want to put the o2 sensor spacer on the sensor that is after the cat, that way the ECU reads a greater change across the cat, fooling it into thinking its doing its job. Ive done this on 2 of my Subies and its worked great. Its a very easy install but I would try to hit the sensor with some penetrating oil everyday for a few days before you try to remove it because they tend to get very stuck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts