Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been debating whether or not to get a new car or not. The next car would definitely be another Impreza or sorts. I was thinking of getting either an L or another 2.5 RS. IWhat are the differences between the RS and the L besides the motor difference. Is there a different in suspension, brake system, and others? I would really like to know and find out if the body and frame are basically the same and if the parts for the L and RS are interchangable. It would be such a GREAT help to me if you all can help me out. I plan to eventually do a WRX engine swap. So that would kinda be the layout and have you gusy comment on this. Thanks a bunch.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
When you say new, I'm assuming you mean new to you? The suspension and brakes are both different on the L as compared to the RS (some L's have drums in the rear, for instance), but since the chassis is identical, swapping over RS bits into an L is pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
1994 L Wagon Grey
517 Posts
If I coudl do it all over again I would have gottena 1994-95 L and did

a 4 pot upgrade, h6 rear
STI v4-6 swap
Link ecu (no obd to get emitions[sp?] done on)
WRX drivetrain

and then all the cosmetics to personal preference.

You start off like this :( but :happynow: it ends up like this :D

·
Registered
02 Lexus IS300
10 Posts
SlowPokeRS: I am sorry to hear about your accident. I have a similar dilemma. I am the original owner of my 98 RS. You can see what is left of it below. I shimmied sideways into a utility pole. I wish I could remember what happened.. but I lost my memory of the accident. It was my dream car.. but now I am looking to replace it. It was the fastest Subaru in the St. Louis region SCCA auto-x series. I was planning to buy a WRX in the next few months.. but now I am debating wether or not to replace my wrecked GC8 with another GC8. You can see more of my car (In it's better days) on my website.

Good Luck!
James Elterman
www.ShimmySideway.com

·
Registered
286 Posts
I own a 1997 L, and there a quite a few more diffs than you think.

- The seats are not as highly bolstered
- The interior is less sporty
- The suspension is more soft
- The rear brakes require quite a few new pieces because of the parking brake differences (legacy parts seem to be popular)
- The obvious exterior differences.
- Less agressive steering ratio (I THINK)
- If you are changing out the engine, than you don't need to worry about the engine differences.

Basically, the similarities are obvious. The main one being the body shell.

It doesn't take much to make the L handle like an RS. Looks cost a bit more, and so does power. But I guess it all depends on what aspect of the impreza are important to you.

-Andy

Oh yea, a WRX engine swap, wether its from a new WRX or an older import, is going to require quite a bit of work. Basically the entire driveline. Tranny to hub. You will also need a turbo cross-member. Why pay extra for an RS if you are going to gut it anyway? Although, if you bought an RS and gutted the driveline, I would by it all from you for my L.

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
I'm in negotiations right now with a guy selling a 97 Brighton. Plan on doing the engine swap with a 2.5 when it goes. It's got 171,000 miles on it now. Two door, grey interior, and manual. For $1700, how can I go wrong?

You've got the car already, to swap cosmetics, brakes, suspension, etc. why not? Maybe because you want to sell me all that stuff once I get this one?

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
Got the Brighton. Love it. Cheap enough, I can totally pick and choose what aftermarket stuff I want, and not be throwing away good parts. I got the 97, because of the changes they made that year. Also started with grey interior, to be able to swap RS parts inside, without replacing that god awful tan crap they put in so many.

What are you thinking you're going to do now? If you have any interest in parting out the old RS, I'm looking for many things, to get me by for now. As cash permits, I'll go for some higher end aftermarket stuff. I'm looking forward to my car always changing, and getting better.

I will admit though, 1.8 liters makes for a car slow enough that it can't get out of it's own way. You might want to start with the 2.2, for your mental health.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts