Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kid don't want to pay $44+ for a pair of those silver bulbs that flash amber/yellow what DIY method should I try?

...btw, a bulb painted orange will flash red :eek: ,:curse:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Why not just go buy a set of orange bulbs, and do a very light coating of "silver" spray paint? It'll only cost you the $3 for the bulbs, and another few bucks for the spray paint. That's what I do on my signal lamps. I got the euro signal lamps, so the orange bulb bugged me. It looks silver, but it lights up orange.

For my (6 month) update on the bulbs I used, the silver cracked off and the bulb started signaling a clear, weak orange. I guess the 'orange color on the bulb' was absorbed into the silver coating. The silver cracked off, now I have a clear bulb. :confused: Oh well, I don't like having a clear signal light, so I replaced it with another orange bulb w/ a light silver coat. :biggest: By the way, the old bulb I took out had rust on the connector part of the bulb. Does anyone know if WD-40 (or some other lubricant) can clean away the rust? ...or atleast prevent it from collecting moisture? Sorry, I don't have pictures of my old bulb.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately the bulb (#3496 ??) for this car (not a Subaru btw) cost $8 each for a clear.

[I think] APC makes an amber for around $15 each, but I'm cheap and I was hoping to find a more economical way.

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
Albert said:
Unfortunately the bulb (#3496 ??) for this car (not a Subaru btw) cost $8 each for a clear.

[I think] APC makes an amber for around $15 each, but I'm cheap and I was hoping to find a more economical way.
did i hear APC? as for me, i try not to have any APC parts on my car, i don't care how cheap or how nice the part is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts