Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2001, 2.5 RS, Blue
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to get some HIDs for my fogs and dont know which brand to get since their is so many out their. Which brand is the brightest and last the longest? Are the ones on ebay any good?

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Yesterday I got a kit o xentec
I got this 'Xentec' kit last year for Christmas (ironically). Biggest piece of junk ever. One bulb was damaged and they shipped the wrong kit (I need the H4 hi-low, not just low beams).

Nowwww, given you get a good one that's not damaged, they might work. People say they blind other drivers.

I rolled with Osram Nightbreaker +90 bulbs after that and called it a day.

·
EZ GF w/Curves!
97'OBS/94'SVX LSi/00'OBS/01&#8
8,816 Posts
German... Real German made Osram parts. Spend money on good parts. Pays for it's self in longevity and not replacing cheap crap

·
Detailing Guru
2000 RBP 2.5rs
1,193 Posts
Don't waste your money on Xentec, I know a kid that sells them locally and he gets about 10 kits back a week. Better off with DDM although they may stop selling HID's soon, I don't know for sure but I've had quite a few kits from them and have had no problems.

·
Interior Paint Pro
V4 STi-RA
1,503 Posts
This thread makes me cry.

HIDs don't belong in foglights, yet alone, cheapass Xentec/DDM/OBX/ABC kits don't belong in cars. It defeats the purpose of foglights.

Osram only makes HIDs for cars that have factory installed HID optics. D2S, D1S, D2R, etc. NOT H4/H7/9006, etc.

·
Registered
2001 obp RS
492 Posts
Only do yellow HID's for the fogs. But for the price, just get normal yellow h3 bulbs for them. I had the DDM kit in the headlights and liked the look, but thats where it ended. The light output was just too scattered and utterly useless in the rain or snow.

Im trying to save up for a retrofit that a vendor does on here if nothing else drains my funds. Now THATS a true way to get some good lighting.

·
Registered
2001, 2.5 RS, Blue
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried yellow bulbs first but they are not bright at all. It looks terrible so I was just looking for HIDs because they are brighter than bulbs, or at least the bulbs I got.

·
Interior Paint Pro
V4 STi-RA
1,503 Posts
OP isn't reading my posts. HIDs don't belong in foglights.

Besides, you won't find Osram bulbs for your fogs. They don't make them that size.

·
Registered
2001 obp RS
492 Posts
OP isn't reading my posts. HIDs don't belong in foglights.

Besides, you won't find Osram bulbs for your fogs. They don't make them that size.
Actually, lots of people do it to their hella fogs. Of course in doing so, they only become usable in off road or severe weather situations, like most if not all do. It would be stupid and wreckless to use them in normal driving conditions and would warrant getting pulled over or run off the road.

Your old enough to think for yourself and be responsible for what you do. Use them for what they are for, not showing off. I left my H.I.D's in my fogs and turn them on during down pours or alot of snow only. If you go ahead with the hid's, at least stick with the usable yellow and not look like a ricer civic with purple lights.

·
RUSSIAN FOR HIRE
2000 Impreza RST
2,425 Posts
if you have a performance shop near you go there and get the kits they sell. i always do this because stuff always goes wrong with hid kits, if its not the bulb its the ballast, if not that then wiring, etc, most performance shops have a warranty with their kits ranging from a month to a year. and its a lot easier to bring in the part that broke and get it replaced then dealing with mailing it out or waiting for new ones to arrive.

i live in wa and i get mine from VIP Performance in Portland OR, awesome customer service, they replaced my ballast and bulb because it was having problem. and extended my warranty another month just in case it breaks again. you will NEVER get that service online. seeing a seller face to face gives you the ability to explain your situation and have options.

thats just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.