Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 RS Powered by Haltech
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost finished building my 2.4L EJ22T (stroked) project w/ a VF39 turbo and I have decided to go with phase I DOHC heads which I have purchased and should be here this week sometime. My problem is that I have phase II heads in my car now and thus probably have a different ECU then the one required to operate the dual cams. What is the best way around this? Can I reflash my stock ecu for the different heads and then use a piggyback system like e-manage ultimate to manage my increased fuel needs? Am I better off going with a standalone unit for this project? If so any suggestions would be appreciated. Just want to make sure I am getting the right hardware before I fork over sum fat $$$

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
I am almost finished building my 2.4L EJ22T (stroked) project w/ a VF39 turbo and I have decided to go with phase I DOHC heads which I have purchased and should be here this week sometime. My problem is that I have phase II heads in my car now and thus probably have a different ECU then the one required to operate the dual cams. What is the best way around this? Can I reflash my stock ecu for the different heads and then use a piggyback system like e-manage ultimate to manage my increased fuel needs? Am I better off going with a standalone unit for this project? If so any suggestions would be appreciated. Just want to make sure I am getting the right hardware before I fork over sum fat $$$

Thanks all!
well you definetly would be best off going standalone...but thats a lot of money.

Run the phase 1 ECU + emanage ultimate for the cheap way out. Im not sure if the phase 1 wiring works with the phase 2 ecu though...so either search or wait for someone who knows something to chime in. Reflashing the phase 2 ecu would not be cost effective

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well you definetly would be best off going standalone...but thats a lot of money.

...............but worth it in the long run. ;)

The other option is to wait and build my long block until I pull my phase II motor out of the car. The SOHC heads will work and actually have bigger ports. I was trying to minimize the amount of time that my car is sidelined but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,916 Posts
So this is a 2001 RS correct. Is it a cali or auto car? Some have the same setup as WRXs on the cam and crank that early. Look at the crank cog does it have 6 teeth or alot more? If it has 6 teeth which it more than likely does you can use the P1 heads with that ecu.

This is what you are doing right?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ thanks

2000 RS. So you are saying if the crank cog has 6 teeth I will be able to use my current ECU with the Phase I heads? That would be nice. I know people have done this before. Anybody else wanna weigh in?????????

1 - 5 of 5 Posts