• Or just the other guy that is low dollar$ for there sets

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well which would it be? Spend alot, Spend a good amount, Or spend what your mom gives ya.

The reason I ask is to see what everone would like to do. I know this might turn into a flame war....... but ....... owell.

And I would like to hear from you guys with the RS-T's and the WRX's.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If money were no object:
"Prodrive 6-speed sequential" :D

Other than that I agree with 10th Warrior, the STi 6-speed is supposed to be pretty good.

·
Registered
2001 Silverthorn Coupe
144 Posts
MRT HAD a deal where they were to be the exclusive worldwide distributer of those gears. The deal is now up and you can get them from a variety of places in Au now for significently less.

THe name of the gear cutter is Modena Engineering. Not to be confused with Modena Engineering the Ferrari tuner/bodyshop/whatever they are.

cheeRS,

Greg

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza RS
586 Posts
What makes the STi gearset so good? How does it differ from what we get besides another gear?

Nick C.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
the new 6MT is the first transmission designed by subaru in something like 20 years. the other boxes (like ours for example) were sourced from an outside company by subaru and, as we all know, are not known for their strength, and has been a major reason why no one was rallying a GrN impreza on an international level. so subaru decided to fix the problem and so prodrive and STi collaborated and built the new 6-speed found in the latest STi. i don't know the engineering behind it, but it is supposed to be bulletproof. also, the individual gear ratios and final drive is different, and they were picked to match the STi's torque and power curves quite nicely. its a close ratio box that tops out around 145mph or so. when i get home i can check on the ratios (japanese performance had a nice article on the new UK spec STi and jizzed all over the gearbox, just like every other magazine and rallyist)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would be nice to have a 6 speed but I think that I would still go with MRT's harden set. But thats just me. And does anyone know how much it would be to send out a tranny so MRT could place the gears in them selfs instead of letting someone do it?

Balls

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
a day late and a dollar short, but here is the article, as promised.

Japanese Performance May 2002. pp. 49-50, 53.

Keeping the tacho needle hovering in that heady region is easy because all European-spec STis get the same all-new six-speed manual box as the Japanese-market STi. It's a true sporting close-ratio box, with the top ratio chosen to achieve the car's near-as-dammit 150mph top speed right on the engine's 6,000rpm power peak.
Designed to cope with the high torque outputs of the 280bhp engine, the gearbox is designed with wider than normal gear wheels yet retains a superbly slick change quality. The new six-speeder is a welcome update, and not just for the extra ratio; the gearbox has always been the Impreza's weakest link.
Short ratios are good for acceleration, although it means that the STi just won't quite hit 60mph in second, in spite of the high-revving ability of the engine. Still, first is good enough to hit 38mph at the redline, a shift to second dropping revs to just under 5,000, well in its power band, so acceleration flows strongly until the redline at 58mph. A shift to third ensures still-eager acceleration from 5,500rpm to 78mph at the redline, where a shift to fourth drops revs to a near-peak 5,700rpm and sees the STi to over 100mph. Fifth is a slightly broader gear, a shift from the redline taking revs to 5,400 with a 142mph redline speed attainable, while sixth, pitched for maximum speed, picks up from there with 5,800 already showing. Incidentally, a bizzer and dash-mounted lamp warn when you're at redline to guard against over-reving the engine. Good news for hard-driving owners is that the point at which the buzzer rasps can be reset from the driving seat.

Gear ratio Mph/1,000rpm
1st 3.636 5.1
2nd 2.375 7.8
3rd 1.761 10.5
4th 1.346 31.7
5th 0.971 19.0
6th 0.756 24.5
Reverse 3.54
Final Drive Ratio 3.9

·
Ntseg Muag!
SRP MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
518 Posts
i'm kinda going towards the MRT gears....i heard that they can be customize to suit ur car.....plus i also heard that u can donwnshift with it without double clutching...but the sti 6spd are kewl too......

·
Registered
613 Posts
good heads up on the article. fwiw dog boxes are fun to smack around. piece of cake in traffic. there is a learning curve, though. it's like a violin on a fretless bass. after a while you know where to put your fingers (time the shifts) to make it smooth.after a long while.
i said the words" today i will not clash the box" many times before it came true. :)

·
Registered
1998 2.5RS
1,091 Posts
Go for the Sti 6-speed. it can handle tons of power and pretty much bulletproof. Dogboxes are $EXPENSIVE$ and aren't they are supposed to have routine maintenance every couple thousand miles? Unless you're planning on some hardcore rally racing, you're not gonna need a dogbox gearset.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts