Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about being nicer to my daily driver after this year of autox and get a beater project. Also a backup incase i add some FI and stuff happens. Which ones do you like or have experience with.

1. 2nd Gen RX-7 Turbo - have a friend that works on them so that helps.

2. Early 90's 240SX Coupe (i don't like the fastback) - above friend has a friend that get varoius clips from Japan. Drop in a SR20DET.

3. Porshe 944 - i don't know alot about them and i think they may expensive to work on.

4. Just get a truck and race to hell out of the RS. :cool:

·
Registered
613 Posts
2. Early 90's 240SX Coupe (i don't like the fastback) - above friend has a friend that get varoius clips from Japan. Drop in a SR20DET.
That's what I'm starting right now, but I'm still looking for a fastback locally. It'll eventually have the s13 front end on it too. At the rate I'm going I'll never finish it, At least my friend has done a ton a sr20det swaps, so I'll have all the help I need.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I've been thinking about the Silvia since I read the SCC issue on the hybrid. I wonder how they would handle in AutoX. I likely could get one for a grand or less. I saw one a 1990 coupe in the local paper with 129,000 miles for $1200.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm looking for one that has a good body and a shot engine, since that'll be the first thing replaced. Seems like a majority of them are stupid autos and that'll cost too much to convert over. I've been wanting to do this for years but it's been in every magazine, so good 240's are getting really hard to find, at least it's easy to get cheap low mileage sr20dets.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Wizard of O.Z. said:
3. Porshe 944 - i don't know alot about them and i think they may expensive to work on.
Very expensive. My roommate has an 85 944, and it's something like $75 to get a new rotor and distributor cap from Schucks!:eek: Don't even ask about spark plug wires; they're specially designed for the motor, and very spendy. The 944's are cool, but don't get one unles you can afford the upkeep on one, or it's in really good shape and doesn't need any work. As for a beater commuter car that won't give you any problems, what about a late 80's or early 90's Civic or Accord? Should be able to find someone selling a base-model one for pretty cheap. Just try to find one that hasn't been abused, and you should get lots of milage out of it before it needs major work. And with the Honda aftermarket like it is, replacement parts are easy to find.

·
Registered
646 Posts
After being in Japan for more then a day you quickly get tired of seeing Silvia's. They are as common here as the Civic in the US. Skip the SR20DET conversion and the S13 all together. Adding a turbo to your EJ25 is one thing but a motor that even Japan has put a halt to because of its horrible record on emissions is a really bad idea. No chance in hell of passing a vehicle inspection with one and if you need parts good luck cause Nissan as of Aug no longer makes a Nissan Silvia infact they aren't even making turbo sports cars. Unless you count the Stagea RS. In the last couple months part prices for the SR20DET have gone up noticeably. If you want to drift a car they are fine but outright auto-x style of racing I'd have to pass on it. You might be better off with a 92 Galant VR4 with a shot motor. At least you can legally drive around with a JDM 240Edition 4G63 drivetrain in the car. Close ratio trans, better stronger transmission and the same bulletproof motor as the 1G Evo. That or spend the $2K US and get a already built SR20DET crate engine from G-Force in Japan. At least with them you know its going to be capable of putting out close to 400hp at the wheel without ever having to open it up to replace anything.

H

·
0 Posts
I say get a Jeep. I want to trade my truck for a jeep but uh, I find that the truck is more practical.

·
Registered
646 Posts
You've got a point about the truck. At least then you have the option of getting a trailor and hauling the RS to and from the races or the shop.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
HondaH8R- i think it's funny you suggested a civic/accord. :) I'm basically looking for RWD car. The winters aren't too bad and i have the Scoobie. And I was afraid the 944 maybe expensive, i was wondering cause there is one sitting in a yard a few miles from home.

N/A - Thanks for the insite how's Japan, and do you see many Mitsu FTO's I like the style of those cars from GT3. As for emissions here you can drive any ole smoke billowing POS, there are no vehicle inspections.

Yeah a truck maybe nice. One always seems to need one at some time or another. Hmm Ford Lightning! :biggest:

·
Registered
646 Posts
I like the looks of the FTO but when I found out its a FWD 6 cylinder non-turbo it really took away something from the car. I'll rank it in the same class as the Del Sol. Decent enough car but with very minimal redesign it could have been alot better. Like a RWD setup and a better motor.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They sound alot like the Eclipse but with better styling. A RWD or AWD version would be sweet, sweeter if it came to America.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I used to have a 944 and they are great cars. True, maintenance can be quite pricey, but if you can afford it I'd say go for it. As long as you find one that has been well taken care of you should be ok. Find one with either low mileage (under 60k) or high mileage (over 120k)... anything inbetween is usually going to need something expensive soon... higher mileage have usually had these things done already, and low mileage won't need them for awhile.

I spent quite a bit on mine after replacing the entire cooling system as well as many other things, but even though it was a pain in the butt I miss it every day! If you work out the bugs they are very reliable. PM or email me if you have any questions on them, I could go on all day... :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts