Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 Subaru Impreza RS coupe -
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get the MRT headers and a Random-Tech cat. Where can I find these and get a good deal on them? Or if any of you guys have any other suggestions as to what I should get.

Also, just wondering about any problems you might have had with these, fitment and all that stuff. I'd like to purchase them pretty soon while I still have the money...

Thanks.

·
Registered
1999 2.5 RS Silver
333 Posts
Zeorymer said:
Looking to get the MRT headers and a Random-Tech cat. Where can I find these and get a good deal on them? Or if any of you guys have any other suggestions as to what I should get.

Also, just wondering about any problems you might have had with these, fitment and all that stuff. I'd like to purchase them pretty soon while I still have the money...

Thanks.
MRT headers can be had at www.vividracing.com

EDIT: now that I check, vivid has taken down their GC8 section, you might want to try emailing them.

I'm pretty sure the cat that Cobb sells is the random tech cat? Also, someone on i-club was selling the latest gen random tech cat in the vendor classifieds... think maybe it was ninesautoaccessories?

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks, I'll check it out.

You're right about Cobb, they are selling the Random-Tech cat, but knowing Cobb, I could easily get it for much cheaper somewhere else.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was told that Cobb is coming out with their own header/cat system. Thats what im waiting for. They are supposed to be finishing up the R&D right now.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And they are also supposed to be like... 800 bucks! :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I only had a buck for each time I posted...

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Possibly... Arrrrrrr... But it is a header/cat combo? If so, that is cool then. I could do that I guess, but I thought they were charging a shitload just for the header.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got an email from Cobb last week saying that they were finishing up the R&D on their own header/cat system. It will be the equivilant of the borla headers and random tech cat that they sell now, but id imagine it is probably better designed and might be all one piece. Not sure on that though. When your talking about spending that kind of money whats another $100 or so to get something with some research and development behind it.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
I was the one who started the long thread about the Cobb Header/cat. I would have waited, but I got restless and went MRT. With all the headers out there for the EJ25, I believe Cobb's should be one of the top ones. They have read all the negatives of the Borla, Brullen, MRT, and TWE, and they should correct all that for their header. The only reason why I went MRT was the price and power. Good luck on your header decision, Morgan. Just remember to get a "universal" Random Tech cat that will just replace the MRT cat. Although there were concerns of the MRT cat being bad, there has not been a direct conclusion that the cat had problems. I'm staying with the MRT cat as it does what it's supposed to do... not stink up the place and fit.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Cobb makes their own cat now and sells that instead of the Random Tech cat. It hooks up in stock locations.

Cobb is also making a header/cat system since their header will not end in stock locations. So the cat in the header/cat combo is different than their cat that they sell seperately.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Z, I could get you a full set of custom headers for ~$200 BUT you'd have to drive to Wichita Falls. As far as a cat goes, call Summit Racing. Catco cats start at ~$60.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm... Ok. What would be the advantages/disadvantages of custom headers? And how exactly would these be "customized"?

Thanks.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Custom as in made for your car with you there. Custom as in you choose the style (TWE, Brullen, Borla, MRT). Custom as in cheap as you're gonna get and the shop owner (Felix) is pretty damn good. I tried to get him to jig my setup but he refused, he did say for "around $200" he'd do a similar setup for anyone who wanted one. Since I moved to Wichita Falls he's had my car in ~4 times for various parts of the exhaust and I keep coming back every time I need something done, Felix rocks. I don't recommend buying mufflers, cats, etc through him (he'll tell you the same thing) b/c he has a pretty big markup BUT he'll weld/cut/bend anything you have.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so let's say I wanted to go with an MRT style. It would sound and give the power similar to the MRT headers?
If so, that's really cool, I might just do that. Didn't you say you had problems with yours hanging pretty low? That could be bad...
But I also have an exhaust tip that got messed up, that I need bent back into shape, so this could all possibly work out, who knows.

Thanks.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
The power is definately there (haven't dynoed, but definately there). As for the hanging too low part, that was oversight on my part... Felix had to run an errand so he asked one of his guys to "just finish this up for me". I was right there and didn't even notice that the one side was hanging low, the tech just thought that was how Felix left it so that's how Felix wants it. I cant really blame him (since I should have been watching just like I was for every other step in the process). When I went back a week later I was seen right away, the fix was easy (heat and tweak, vs cut re-weld). The shop is open M-F till 5:00 Saturday by appointment only (and Felix is usually too hung over from friday night ;) ). He does work late though (my projects usually don't start until late and dont end until well past Miller time.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, I responded to your PM before readin this, sorry... haha, so I kinda just mentioned things you already clarified here.
I'd really like to do this, but driving the 7 or so hours up there would be a huge pain, but I just might do it. I might be in Paris (Texas of course) pretty soon, and so that would be pretty convenient to do it while I am there, I'll just have to wait and see.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts