Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the fuel filter on my 2000 RS?
I was looking or it and can't find it, but its probably staring me in the face.

Thanks
Jim
Respected Performance

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
On the drivers side strut tower. It's a black or silver can that is in place with a clip. Save the rubber part that's around it to put on the new filter. There is an in and out fuel line.

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
FYI - if you let the car sit over night all the pressure will be gone in the system and you can change it out w/o fear of getting sprayed with fuel. Just put a rag under the filter to catch what little fuel will dribble out. The hoses can be a bugger to get off . I've found it best to twist them around the hose before pulling on them.

Peaty

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
yeah, the hoses are a PITA. i covered them with a towel and then used some pliers. BTW, the fuel spray isn't bad at all even when the car has been run a few hours or so before.

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
10th Warrior said:
BTW, the fuel spray isn't bad at all even when the car has been run a few hours or so before.
I agree, I've actually done it after only around an hour of sitting. No pressure then but it's always a good idea to do it w/ a cold motor, just in case :)

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
I have a new fuel filter sitting here ready to go on and I wasnt sure if what I was looking at was the fuel filter. I guess it is. The stock ones black, and the one that I ordered is silver. Guess I should have just changed it when I was looking for it :)

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Well, I changed mine today, its less than a 5 minute job. Just make sure that you reuse the doughnut that goes around the fuel filter, or you'll wonder why its not fitting correctly like I did for 30 seconds :) It seems like after changing this, my idle is where it was when the car was new..

·
Registered
508 Posts
how many miles did you have when you changesthe filter??? sounds like a nice 30mins job.... chairs... cleaning up the sprayed fuel...

serriously... sound like something I can do to vent my new anger against the city and their parking laws...

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its less than 30 minutes. About 10 minutes, including setup, changing the filter, and cleanup.

I changed mine at 80,000 :barf:

·
Registered
508 Posts
gee makes me wonder now... if I've been hurting my car... I'm rocking the OEM filter @ 39k.... oh well I was stopping by the car shop today anyways...

WOO HOOO can't want to catch on fire

Smoking sounds like a new hobbie.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
Did mine at 30k just because.

If you always use a quality gas I can see getting to 60k with no significant power loss....I guess 80k is possible also, but I personally wouldn't push it that far on a car that's driven hard every day.

As a side note some Hondas have a lifetime fuel filter. I once asked a service advisor why the owners manual, and their in-house recommended service sheet did not list replacing the fuel filter and he said Honda only recommend replacing it when major fuel system repairs are done or when fuel contamination is detected :eek: I replaced it at 77k anyways.Even with my military discount that filter cost $27 because it is such a slow seller.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Took the advice and replaced my fuel filter today. Only took me maybe 10mins and 8 of those 10 were trying to get the damn hoses off, after that it was simple. Clean fuel :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts