Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2018 STi
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, heres my deal. i hate how the stupid oem wheels are not flush with the body of the car so they look like they are in the car. i have an 02 RS and i wanna know if i should do wheel spacers and if so which size will allow my oem wheels to be flush with the body and not look like they were pushed in? any feedback would be great. also if i do spacers, will it run down my bearing even quicker?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Get Legacy 17s. I like the Leggy 5 spokes. They are 5x100 bolt pattern with a perfect offset and they will look gorgeous on a GD. Plus they are inexpensive since people don't really want them for some reason. They're probably among the strongest rims on the market because they are OEM, straight from Japan. They clean up real easy, too, no nooks and crannies for brake dust.

·
Registered
2018 STi
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Originally Posted by oldhat
Get Legacy 17s. I like the Leggy 5 spokes
Which Legacy 17" wheels are you talking about, the new ones? got a pic? i'm looking them up and i see about 3 different kinds...

·
Registered
2018 STi
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will 5mm spacers even ruin the bearing over time? i'm going to take the spacers out in the winter but it doesn't seem like 5mm will do much of a difference, or will it?

·
Registered
'97 white Impreza Coupe
458 Posts
Spacers and high offset wheels will cause your bearing to run out quicker. But we're not talking about wearing them out in 10,000miles here people. They wont last 200,000miles, big deal. I dont understand why everyone on here cries about wheel bearings.

5mm wheel bearing wont cause enough harm for you to notice unless your wheel bearings are already on their way out the door. I know people that have been running 20mm spacers for 3-4 years on regularly track-abused cars and are still fine.

If you want to run spacers, run spacers. When you have to replace your wheel bearings 5 years from now, BIG DEAL.

·
Registered
2018 STi
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spacers and high offset wheels will cause your bearing to run out quicker. But we're not talking about wearing them out in 10,000miles here people. They wont last 200,000miles, big deal. I dont understand why everyone on here cries about wheel bearings.

5mm wheel bearing wont cause enough harm for you to notice unless your wheel bearings are already on their way out the door. I know people that have been running 20mm spacers for 3-4 years on regularly track-abused cars and are still fine.

If you want to run spacers, run spacers. When you have to replace your wheel bearings 5 years from now, BIG DEAL.
Hey i was just asking a question, i'm not here to piss anyone off. I know absolutely nothing about spacers except the fact that they can get rid of the gap inbetween the fender and tire so the tires can be flush with the car, thats all i care about. I will be using my stock rims so the offset is perfect for the car. Just wanted to know if 5mm will make the tires flush with the car, thats all.

·
Registered
'97 white Impreza Coupe
458 Posts
Hey i was just asking a question, i'm not here to piss anyone off. I know absolutely nothing about spacers except the fact that they can get rid of the gap inbetween the fender and tire so the tires can be flush with the car, thats all i care about. I will be using my stock rims so the offset is perfect for the car. Just wanted to know if 5mm will make the tires flush with the car, thats all.
My irritation wasnt directed towards you. More towards the people on here that are rediculously anti-wheel spacers/high offsets.
I've seen several threads like this on this forum before, and it seems like most members think of high offsets and wheel spacers as the Subaru Anti-Christ.
It's rediculous.

If you want to run the spacers, go for it man. You have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2018 STi
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My irritation wasnt directed towards you. More towards the people on here that are rediculously anti-wheel spacers/high offsets.
I've seen several threads like this on this forum before, and it seems like most members think of high offsets and wheel spacers as the Subaru Anti-Christ.
It's rediculous.

If you want to run the spacers, go for it man. You have nothing to worry about.
haha i can understand your frustration, no big deal. As far as the spacers i'm definatetly think i'm going to go for it. I'm painting my OEM wheels BBS GOLD so they look great and i dont wanna buy aftermarket rims so i think i'm just going to have the new studs pressed in and run the spacers. Any idea how much it is do get all 4 spacers installed from a shop? I'm going to be honest i haven't the faintest idea at all. I just dont want a bill for $500 and not expect it.

·
Registered
'97 white Impreza Coupe
458 Posts
you shouldnt need extended studs for 5mm spacers. Anything larger than 8mm and you will. Same goes for the "hub-centric" rules. Anything larger than 8mm and it should be hub-centric to avoid problems. But with 5mm you will be fine.
Take your wheels off, put the spacers on, put your wheels back on and torque them properly. Done and done.

·
Registered
2018 STi
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
whats a good spacer? h&r spacers any good? or any other suggestions. i looked on ebay and found a pair of 7mm spacers for $12, seems kinda cheap to me and i dont wanna do this cheap. i was thinking about 75-100 for all 4... let me know whats some good spacers are. links would be great. also if i wanted to go bigger say like 15mm spacer, how much ESTIMATED do you think it'll cost to get the studs pressed and everything installed that i need?

·
Registered
'97 white Impreza Coupe
458 Posts
If you can find cheap ebay spacers get them. Once again, hub-centric isnt necessary. A 5x100 5mm spacer made by any old crap company will be fine. You're usually going to pay around $50 for a pair, so $100 for all 4.

Here are a few to check out. The first is 5mm, then 8mm and 10mm. The last link is a full set of four(4) 3mm spacers. Not sure if thats too small to achieve what you're looking for. But it seems like it's slim pickin's as far as everything else goes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5mm-...011QQitemZ320298527694QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H-R-...012QQitemZ220278913391QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-J...017QQitemZ270273940893QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

3mm spacers...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5x10...021QQitemZ310082579244QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
If you can find cheap ebay spacers get them. Once again, hub-centric isnt necessary. A 5x100 5mm spacer made by any old crap company will be fine. You're usually going to pay around $50 for a pair, so $100 for all 4.
Sorry to yell but NO NO NO! Please don't buy that stamped, unbalanced Chinese junk off of eBay. You WILL fry your bearing real quick with those things. And they are weak and dangerous. They might fail.

Just buy a quality brand if you're going to use spacers. You really don't want to skimp on that stuff, the wheels are the only thing that's connecting you to the ground.

·
Registered
2000, Impreza, 2.5 RS,
139 Posts
At 85k miles I bought rims from another subie owner, used spacers and at 90k miles both rear wheel bearings went bad. Not saying it is going to happen with you, but just telling you what happened to me.

·
ITS TURBO TIME!
05 LGT limited
2,778 Posts
ok, heres my deal. i hate how the stupid oem wheels are not flush with the body of the car so they look like they are in the car. i have an 02 RS and i wanna know if i should do wheel spacers and if so which size will allow my oem wheels to be flush with the body and not look like they were pushed in? any feedback would be great. also if i do spacers, will it run down my bearing even quicker?
FYI i have an 02 OBS with stock wheels and 15mm spacers. heres a picture of what it looks like on my car.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts