Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2.5RS
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm from Kalamazoo and we are currently in what I would consider a winter drought. So long story short, we got about 8 inches a week ago and got a little to excited driving around the city.. I was planning on getting it expected but I know any salesman will tell me "thats gonna need to be replaced", so I figured I'd ask you guys.

If you could please give me your opinion on the severity of the damage I received on my right rear wheel. As in, could I experience a blowout on the highway or experience some other effects from the damage? I've got a set of summer wheels/tires and I'd rather not fork out the $$ for a new wheel this winter(typical broke college student).

[/url]
wheeldamage2 by Weeksteeze, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]
wheeldamage1 by Weeksteeze, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Registered
2012 Audi S4
1,954 Posts
well its doubtful that the tire will be affected by this, however a more serious problem can arise. With the amount of metal missing it will create an imbalance while in motion at any speeds, the faster the speed the worse it will get. Vibrations at higher speeds will most likely arise due to the mising metal. If left as is it could damage your hub, bearings, and/or axle. will it be suddenly? doubt it but i would definitely replace it as soon as your can.

·
Registered
2005 2.5RS
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well its doubtful that the tire will be affected by this, however a more serious problem can arise. With the amount of metal missing it will create an imbalance while in motion at any speeds, the faster the speed the worse it will get. Vibrations at higher speeds will most likely arise due to the mising metal. If left as is it could damage your hub, bearings, and/or axle. will it be suddenly? doubt it but i would definitely replace it as soon as your can.
Indeed, didn't think about that. Thank you.

·
Registered
96 Brighton Green
101 Posts
Not trying to be a salesman because as far as I'm concerned this is just advice. But I am a tire professional and that wheel can cause a blowout. You are missing part of what holds the bead on, granted it's the top part but that still affects the bead. Also it looks like there is a lot of stress cracking below the breakage which could also break off. I personally have never seen one blow out but I have seen the damage that a wheel like that does to the bead of a tire due to the flex of the tire.

·
Registered
2012 Audi S4
1,954 Posts
Not trying to be a salesman because as far as I'm concerned this is just advice. But I am a tire professional and that wheel can cause a blowout. You are missing part of what holds the bead on, granted it's the top part but that still affects the bead. Also it looks like there is a lot of stress cracking below the breakage which could also break off. I personally have never seen one blow out but I have seen the damage that a wheel like that does to the bead of a tire due to the flex of the tire.
isnt the part of the wheel missing used as a tire/rim protector? Im no where near an expert on tires but i have installed my own tires onto GC rims and the bead was applied much lower. This lip contains very very little of the bead glue, was the case when my uncle and i installed my tires.

stress cracking is not evident from what i can tell. you would need an ultrasonic tester to decifer this. i highly doubt a crack in the metal would arise from a small impact like this, the paint would crack before anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.