Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT, 1977 Jeep CJ7
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well im working towards a good suspension setup for autoX. I have a 25mm Tribeca sway front and an FHI 20mm rear. Im running on stock L struts and springs. I want a spring that will give my L a nicer stance, not to low because i like the clearence for the winter, a spring that helps handling, and a spring that keeps the nice stock ride. Whats my best option. I have been thinking of the P1 spring on my stock struts for now. There $205 shipped so its a good price to.

· Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea but ur running KYB AGX's to. So just the springs alone with stock struts how much drop and performance am i looking at??

· Katy Perry
2001 Outback Sport-Turbo
4,498 Posts
The struts dont really affect the height of the car. So whatever the spring drop rate is, that is what your car will be lowered.
Performance wise, you will notice a gain when you are lowered. This is going to be nothing compared to what you will notice if you upgrade your struts but some springs will help out

· Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
3,696 Posts
ohhh boy, get ready for a bunch of different responses :rolleyes4 gf210's, gymkhana, P1's, H&R's...you'll read the rest soon enough

i bought gf210's for $150 and put them on newish stock struts. they are very comfortable to dd but at the same time aggresive enough for spirited driving or to autoX.

the drop is nearly perfect IMO with about a two finger gap front and back... works out nice for the winter

· Katy Perry
2001 Outback Sport-Turbo
4,498 Posts
haha yah you are going to get 100 different opinions. Look at my member journal for pics. Also check out other peoples member journals. It looks like you want to auto cross. I auto cross on P1s. I believe Trix auto cross on Tiens. It just depends

· Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea i dont want alot of drop because i love deep snow. I always heard teins gave a bad ride. As far as ride quality with the P1's how are they??

· Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how many inches does the P1 drop. Right now i can fit 5 fingers from the tire to the fender. I was told these springs give about a 2 finger gap between tire and fender. I have 15" wheels so wont the car sit really really low.

· Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
13,557 Posts
I personally think, from all I've read and what I'll soon install myself, after many years of these threads, that you won't find better for a road car, than the P1 spring. Unless you want something really stiff for racing, or you like your car really low, it's the best there is.

The spring rates aren't too stiff, but any non-performance strut will technically shorten its lifespan, given a performance spring. The L strut is very OEM. You'll have a lower ride height with pretty weird dampening characteristics, I would think. It won't be awful or dangerous, IMO, but it certainly won't be great.

They'll be fine until you get better struts, I'll just say that. :)

· Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea that was my fear. Having a soft riding strut with a stiffer spring couldnt bet that great. Well I have a 25mm front sway on the way so that should keep me happy for a while. I would love a setup where i can adjust the height of the car for autoX,Normal driving, and winter. But then i am probably looking at coilovers which is to much to spend on a car with 167,000 miles.

· Premium Member
13,557 Posts
Well the KYB AGX (or SPT 2.5RS strut, same thing) is adjustable for dampening, but not height of course. Unless you need it to go up and down for clearance for sure, the AGX is a big favorite around here.

· Registered
1999 RS RBP Coupe
460 Posts
Another P1 recomendation. I have P1 shocks and struts, and i absolutely love them. I wouldn't worry about the winter too much, its not that big of a drop.

I know you're running smaller rims, but

Here's a picture with my snow tires on(205/55/16):

And here are my summer tires (205/45/16):

Not sure if that will help, but maybe it will answer your questions about ride height.

· Premium Member
13,557 Posts
Yeah P1s are nice and even, front to back. I bought some a couple months ago and need to find time to get them installed. It'll probably be August or September, too busy this summer.

· Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that ride heigh looks good actually. How do these springs affect the travel. Like if I hit a pot hole with the P1's and L struts(the struts arent OEM they are aftermarket replacementes but they are alittle stiffer) am i going to destroy something.

· Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok well i think i am sold. Im just gunna get a set sometime soon after i finish with the swaybar and short throw.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.