Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
04 sti
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright i wasnt sure what section to post this in... mods move it if necessary. :]

alright so ive come time to where i wanna turbo or swap my car??

Not knowing much about it besides what ive read so far i need help which one is better???

So if i turbo it whats the benefit??? is it easier? cheaper? not as much of a hastle??

What if i swap it?? I can get a v5 sti motor with tranny for $3500 from nagasaki motors. WHat all would i have to do for my swap???

so whats the benefit??? id love to swap but im not totally sure yet.

·
Registered
93 IMPREZA L
430 Posts
search up my friend..

but for me id just go a usdm route for emission but if your state doesn't require it go JDm.

I currently have a full 06 wrx swap on my car and loving every min of it

·
Registered
04 sti
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
search up my friend..

but for me id just go a usdm route for emission but if your state doesn't require it go JDm.

I currently have a full 06 wrx swap on my car and loving every min of it
what all did you have to do for it??? does everything just bolt in or there wiring stuff that gets all messed up??

·
Premium Member
98 OBS, Black/Grey
2,724 Posts
Everything will bolt up fine, You will need a turbo crossmember to clear the uppipe though. Just send your wiring out and have it merged ($1000) it's worth avoiding the wiring headaches.

·
Registered
04 sti
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything will bolt up fine, You will need a turbo crossmember to clear the uppipe though. Just send your wiring out and have it merged ($1000) it's worth avoiding the wiring headaches.
alright awesome! so where can i find a turbo cross memeber? im guessing anywhere on the forums...

then since your in NW where a good place to get the wiring merged??

alright so if i get a wrx motor with tranny itll just bolt up beside getting the cross member and the wiring merged?

·
Premium Member
98 OBS, Black/Grey
2,724 Posts
Theres a few places you can send your wiring, Brydon, ECS, Zephyr, Garage Tuning and I'm sure there are more places. You are going to need some odds and ends, turbo back exhaust, rear diff and axles depending on what tranny you go with. etc.

There is a thread that lists what is needed for a usdm wrx swap.

EDIT: http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36864

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS MBP
963 Posts
I remember when he first posted his car and him cutting his stock springs cuz he didnt have money for drop springs, Then the next couple of weeks he posts up his new Megan Racing coilovers, now he wants to drop ~3500 on a V5 swap??? Man I need your job or something...

Anyways back on topic i would be careful if I were on a budget swap... A JDM swap is nice for the initial power but is kinna iffy with reliability. Im assuming you dont have a backup fund for when the motor spins a bearing or Headgasket blows... Since I am assuming its a EJ20K??? I would read up on the motor first because I see way too many posts about "Another EJ20K bites the dust".

To answer your questions of which is better? I would say to each their own I mean if you are just looking for a nice power increase and you will be happy with a 40-60HP increase then I say go for the turbo kit... It will give you that basic 6 PSI and you can be happily hanging with WRX's. Now if you were going to start off with hanging with a WRX and then push it to or past STi power then i would go with a swap.

GL with your decision mang...

Eric

·
Registered
04 sti
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Theres a few places you can send your wiring, Brydon, ECS, Zephyr, Garage Tuning and I'm sure there are more places. You are going to need some odds and ends, turbo back exhaust, rear diff and axles depending on what tranny you go with. etc.

There is a thread that lists what is needed for a usdm wrx swap.

EDIT: http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36864
haha yeah that was gonna be one of my questions... do i gotta get new axles and etc.

I remember when he first posted his car and him cutting his stock springs cuz he didnt have money for drop springs, Then the next couple of weeks he posts up his new Megan Racing coilovers, now he wants to drop ~3500 on a V5 swap??? Man I need your job or something...

Anyways back on topic i would be careful if I were on a budget swap... A JDM swap is nice for the initial power but is kinna iffy with reliability. Im assuming you dont have a backup fund for when the motor spins a bearing or Headgasket blows... Since I am assuming its a EJ20K??? I would read up on the motor first because I see way too many posts about "Another EJ20K bites the dust".

To answer your questions of which is better? I would say to each their own I mean if you are just looking for a nice power increase and you will be happy with a 40-60HP increase then I say go for the turbo kit... It will give you that basic 6 PSI and you can be happily hanging with WRX's. Now if you were going to start off with hanging with a WRX and then push it to or past STi power then i would go with a swap.

GL with your decision mang...

Eric
lol back when i cut my springs... that was prob gayest shit in the world.. but yeah i have money saved up and im still saving for the swapp.. its not gonna be like anytime soon im just trying to know everything before i do it.

Most likely just gonna go with the usdm one because your rigth about finding parts for that motor.

·
Registered
sold it to Susie the Subie
3,233 Posts
turbo - quick easy costless good power but limited by how much it can grow

swap - takes a little more time, little more money, pases emissions, good power with potential to upgrade for more power

·
Registered
Crx Si
139 Posts
like you im debating on weather to swap ... or turbo my car... right now im still saving my money so i have alot of time to think about it... alot of people say swapping the car is much easier but even though turboing the car will be a PITA i think im going turbo...

·
Registered
2006 WRX
611 Posts
Swapping the car with a USDM motor will prove to be more reliable in the long run over simply "slapping" on a turbo. I use the term "slapping" loosely because it is a ton of work to get it up and running well.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
^took me 5 to 8 hours^

Still works fine to this day

·
Registered
2x01 2.5RS, 97 gm4
2,208 Posts
i say.......buy wrecked wrx. i'm assuming your power goal isnt high up in the air. so you will have ALL parts you would need. and as far as harness goes, i'd swap the dash too and just merge it for the doors and few other useless things.
if you want it cheap and whatever i would slap a turbo on it. i mean 5psi wont hurt it, unless your motor is weak.
don't go jdm and preaty sure version 5 isn't k its ej207 i believe......wait did you see that clip on ebay? because its a version 4...ej20k, he mislabeled it

·
Registered
04 sti
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Swapping the car with a USDM motor will prove to be more reliable in the long run over simply "slapping" on a turbo. I use the term "slapping" loosely because it is a ton of work to get it up and running well.
yeah im pretty im gonna go with the swap just gotta keep saving up.

wow people are still talking about your cut springs, lmfao.
ahaha yup but whatever who cares. hahaha.

i say.......buy wrecked wrx. i'm assuming your power goal isnt high up in the air. so you will have ALL parts you would need. and as far as harness goes, i'd swap the dash too and just merge it for the doors and few other useless things.
if you want it cheap and whatever i would slap a turbo on it. i mean 5psi wont hurt it, unless your motor is weak.
don't go jdm and preaty sure version 5 isn't k its ej207 i believe......wait did you see that clip on ebay? because its a version 4...ej20k, he mislabeled it
yeah i was thinking that cause then i would have everything including like axles and diff.

would the dash fit in my car right though??

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
You are one of the few that bought a pre-made kit. However, for about that much I bought a full STI drivetrain swap.
Yeah, with a little more money I could've done something simlar. It just worked
out for me this way tho because with my work/school schedule I can't afford
to lose more than 1 day of having a car or else im screwed. Gotta pay those
bills and go to class to make sure the tuition is wasted, so the kit and its simple
8 hour install was a good move for me.

would the dash fit in my car right though??
Should fit almost perfect

1 - 20 of 27 Posts