Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well well my parts are finally coming in and I should start installing everything this coming weekend if not by next weekend....here's the low down and you guys tell me what you think the estimated 1/4 miles will be....I say low 12's maybe 11's if I rape my car....

MRT FMIC
VF30 Turbo @ 10psi (street) 12psi (race gas)
I might swith to a VF22 BB turbo, there's a deal with some online store, it's only like $1100 shipped.
Vishnu Fuel Rails
RC 550 cc Injectors
Warlboro 255 lph pump
Tec 2 Engine management
Fidanza 9 lbs flywheel
Center Force DF clutch
and I think that is about it, as far as pistons go as soon as I toast one, hopfully not soon :) I can install some forged ones.

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
ah, i don't think you'll hit 11s. maybe high 12s. it's easy to go from 16s to 14s. and even from 16s to 13s, but to break 13 sec., i think it's gonna be pretty hard. correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh yah, I forgot to add turbo cams....I was skeptical about 12's I was hoping for low 13's, but the tuner that's helping me build the engine is very confident in low 12's. so I guess we'll all see if I make it in the registry as one of the fastest rs-t's on the board.

·
Premium Member
1999 OBS Steel Blue Mica
256 Posts
wake up call time....

I ran 13.1 @ 100something running a Stage III T04e turbo (big fucking turbo compared to the VF's) @ 14.5psi (yes, that's about a bar).... Unless you are juicing, you aren't going to hit 12's let alone 11's....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
damn, that was harsh...I know what a bar is....so like I said I expected low 13's, but my tuner doesn't....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he is working out of applied racing technology in clearwater/st. pete. He isn't on his own yet, but he's tuned many cars and is familiar with the AEM ems, link ecu's and the tec lineup. Alls I can say is that I trust someone to tune my car when they have an awd turbo street car that runs 10's...plus he has access to an awd dyno...oh, did I say that? ;)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Do you trust him on the install? I think you would be very suprised how many shops/people think they know what they are doing when it comes to installing/tuning parts on a Subaru. I have heard quite a few horror stories from people who said they know someone who can make their RS run right with a turbo. Well, most of them were in for a big suprise.

Maybe this guy knows what he's talking about, I don't know him. I'm just cautioning you, so be careful who you choose.

Graham

·
Registered
852 Posts
BTW, I just moved to Texas from Orlando. If you want good people who know what they are talking about with Subaru's, then go to Titan Motorsports in Orlando. They are probably the nations foremost tuner of Supra's. About a year ago they began in the Subaru market, as one of the part owners bought a WRX. They are also in the process of building a 2.5L block to put in a WRX as a drag car. Give them a ring, ask for Bottle.

www.titanmotorsports.com

Graham

·
Premium Member
1999 OBS Steel Blue Mica
256 Posts
Impretzelater -- sorry, I wasn't trying to be harsh or rude. I was just trying to give you an idea of what you are up against.... I've had tuners make all kinds of promises, I just don't listen to them since they ofter don't have anything to basis it off of....

I suppose I'm trying to say reset your expectations lower (as you have) so you'll be happier when you achieve better results

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it's all good, I am keeping my fingers crossed that he can deliver what he promised. But with the humid florida heat I'll have to keep my expectations low.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
I'm sure you'll be very happy with it once it's done! I was, and I have a 1.8! :) I will second the part about people being in for a big surprise! My car was in the shop for around 2 weeks just to get the uppipe made and the turbo installed; The shop said it would be a few days, and I even installed the intercooler, gauges, fuel computer and the fuel pump myself before I took it in so I could get it back faster! The shop I took mine to primarily does DSM's and Honda's, so if that's the kind of shop you are considering, might I recommend Titan, just because they have Subaru experience? I chose not to take my car to a shop that had experience, and I learned my lesson! By the way, if I remember right, 1 bar is 14.7 psi of boost at sea level.:D

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you ever want to know way more then you ever expected to then install all the parts yourself. Its a big learning experience. After your done take it to a real tuning shop for the fuel maps and timing work.

·
Registered
852 Posts
If you ever want to know way more then you ever expected to then install all the parts yourself. Its a big learning experience. After your done take it to a real tuning shop for the fuel maps and timing work.

Thank God! Somone said it. I might be more difficult installing everything, but you'll thank yourself later when something brakes and YOU know how to fix it.

Graham

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
I would have preferred to install everything myself on my car, but there was no uppipe and I didn't feel comfortable making one.:curse: But yes, it's a very good experience; definitely worth the trouble. It feels really good to install something and have it work right on the first time, plus you can gain a better understanding of everything, both the workings and how they go together and come apart should you need to repair or replace anything. I've found that I often remember what size wrench or socket I need, saving myself time! Only downside is that it can sometimes be a huge pain in the ass and stressful, but again, it's worth it. :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Years after I watched and helped a mechanic rebuild a M/T I was forced because of budget reasons to rebuild my own M/T and damn was I glad I had helped out before hand. If you have no downpipe then get with somebody who has a RS-T and literally see if you can borrow theirs to take to a shop to have one fabricated. Its amazingly quick and easy if they can compare side by side when putting together one for you. So ask around to see if somebody is willing to help out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not really a newb when it comes to installing FI stuff...there are always drawbacks to installing anything, even pre-fabricated kits....however all this is tkaing place in my garage, in my free time....so at like 1 in the morning I hope the cops aren't called b/c I am using air wrenches....and N/A, why do you say take it to a REAL TUNING SHOP....a shop with an AWD dyno and knowledgable staff isn't a real tuning shop??? what more do you want to make it a real tuning shop??? Do I need a certified subaru mechanic? I wouldn't trust a 'certified subaru mechanic' b/c afterall my warranty was 'voided' by a 'certified subaru mechanic' b/c I had an 'aftermarket intake and exhaust'....sheesh.....

·
Registered
646 Posts
I say take it to a real tuning shop cause I've seen first hand what a bad tuning shop can do to a project car. Hell I've even posted the pics of a tuning shop built EJ20 motor that a friend bought that blew up. I took it apart and the tuning shop did such a good job building it they even left a bolt in one cylinder and a large zip tie wedged in the head. Just because they have tools and a dyno doesn't mean they are going to know what they are doing on your car. Over here there are shops who build certain cars and only those cars. Luckily there just also happens to be a shop that only works on turbo AWD cars. Even their street tuning is better then the others shops dyno tuning. We're not talking about adding a intake on your own or anything its a turbo, fuel maps and timing that you need worked one. A intake won't shit can your motor but a half ass job of tuning a RS-T sure will.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts