Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Current value of a clean 2.5RS, stock, under 150k miles?

• $1,000 - $5,000

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • $5,001 - $10,000

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • $10,001 - $15,000

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • $15,001 - $20,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $20,001+

Votes: 1 4.5%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize everyone's budget and desire to own one differs, but what would you pay for a 98-01 2.5RS coupe that's rust-free and unmolested, with under 150k miles?

Things seem to have skyrocketed in the last few years. It looks like I need to fork over $20-30k to get one that isn't rusted/crashed/hacked up with DIY mods.馃槄

Related story: There was a super clean, single-owner white one listed for $5,900 at a dealership in North Carolina a couple days ago. The owner traded it in for a new Crosstrek, they told me. Sold instantly, of course. Dealer said they were getting 30 calls a day before the ad was taken down.

Registered
My sunroof crapped out and the motors are discontinued anyway.

I got my RS in 2014 with 120k and more or less rust free and I paid $5k. The lot that had it said the same thing, they were getting calls from all over the place with people interested.

Registered
All AWD, some turbo
$7k would be the right price for a 2.5RS coupe in good running condition, no rust. Very very hard to find these days.

Registered
'under 150k miles' is a huge range
If I limited it to 100k to 150k miles, the range would be $10k to $5k respectively for a clean example. (California car, no rust, no sun damage)

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's just a list of maintenance items. The ad starts with a description implying they have a "collection" of similar vehicles, and that it is meticulously taken care of and well documented. The images seem to reflect that.

Registered
2000 wrx gc8
I realize everyone's budget and desire to own one differs, but what would you pay for a 98-01 2.5RS coupe that's rust-free and unmolested, with under 150k miles?

Things seem to have skyrocketed in the last few years. It looks like I need to fork over $20-30k to get one that isn't rusted/crashed/hacked up with DIY mods.馃槄

Related story: There was a super clean, single-owner white one listed for $5,900 at a dealership in North Carolina a couple days ago. The owner traded it in for a new Crosstrek, they told me. Sold instantly, of course. Dealer said they were getting 30 calls a day before the ad was taken down.
what would a rust free L coupe shell cost (import to austraia then I will strip out a wrx to put into the coupe) the import to us will cost around 10k.

Registered
2000 Impreza RS
lmao. I don't know anything about cars, and I wouldn't put a K&N Filter on mine. And if I did, I certainly wouldn't list it as the first thing on the list.

Offer him/her 12k and tell him/her that the OEM spoiler sticker that was removed is worth about 11k to you. I'd also probably ask if the climate controlled garage also doubled as a barn based on how those OEM mats look.

But seriously, if you do reach out to that seller, I want to know what he has to say if you are willing to share. He isn't selling it for 23. He probably isn't even going to get 15 for it. Here's the most recent ones that have been at auction as support. 2.5 RS at Auction . I know the comparison isn't apples to apples, but still.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know anything about cars, and I wouldn't put a K&N Filter on mine.
When I do run a filter it's usually an AEM or K&N, but the dry models, on a custom intake. On an unmodified car with a regular flat filter intake, I just use OEM. Still, I find it strange how someone using one of the most popular aftermarket filters is the main point of concern here.

No, I'm not going to buy it. I was just pointing out the high price on the only seemingly clean one on the market at this time. There's also one in Canada that's pending sale for $31k that's pretty nice with 64k miles or something. The car's rare. It can only get rarer.

You want to laugh at one, this one deserves it: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/0921a917-9ed2-4b36-b4d2-86eaf04da34d

It was at $42k until recently. Not only that, but Cars.com classifies it as a "Great Deal" :ROFLMAO:

Registered
2000 Impreza RS
When I do run a filter it's usually an AEM or K&N, but the dry models, on a custom intake. On an unmodified car with a regular flat filter intake, I just use OEM. Still, I find it strange how someone using one of the most popular aftermarket filters is the main point of concern here.

No, I'm not going to buy it. I was just pointing out the high price on the only seemingly clean one on the market at this time. There's also one in Canada that's pending sale for $31k that's pretty nice with 64k miles or something. The car's rare. It can only get rarer.

You want to laugh at one, this one deserves it: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/0921a917-9ed2-4b36-b4d2-86eaf04da34d

It was at $42k until recently. Not only that, but Cars.com classifies it as a "Great Deal" :ROFLMAO:
K&N "filter" isn't my biggest concern, but it is listed first on a car listed for $23k :)

I guess it all comes down to whether you are buying the car because you are a collector or because you just love the platform for how it drives, right? If I bought one with 80k miles on it, especially if the car looked that good with the original paint (which I'm not convinced it is the original paint), I think I would feel guilty driving it. That's why I think Mike's suggestion is such a good one. I'd want one that I would feel okay driving. If I were buying that to collect it, maybe 23k isn't unreasonable.

Cars.com is out of its mind, though. I'd love to see the back-end of how their system deemed that a good deal. lol

Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
I think the thing that bothers me most about this (other than the crazy high price) is the parts list. None of which seems warrented. To only have 83k miles, why would this vehicle require such drastic engine teardown/part replacement..? I understand that maybe I'm just the cautious one, but something rubs me the wrong way

Registered
2000 2.5 RS White
I would say near perfect condition with the mileage you stated would be 5k to 10k. Less than 100k miles then possibly over 10k. They are only going to get more rare. Most people are swapping them which will make a stock example worth it in the long run and extremely hard to find in another 10 years or so.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've only just started to search, but it sure would be nice to find one under 10k. One in Texas just sold for $9k and it had 188k miles, but otherwise looked clean. I've been searching for another type of vehicle for about a year now, and one worth buying only comes up once a month or so. Something I sold in 2018 for $5k I can't re-buy for less than $15k in that condition. Pretty wild market.

I'm not a collector, I don't want one to put in a sealed room and wait 20 years so I can sell it. It will be driven and modified over time, but I just want to start with a clean slate without having to undo horrible mods or neglect (rust). People beat the shit out of these things.

Another funny listing, but this one needs a car shredder: 2000 SUBARU DEPORTIVO IN GOOD CONDITION */ ONLY CASH - cars & trucks...
"Well maintained... Look GOOD ; drives great , excellent condition , A/C ice cold, like new ."

What?!
馃ぃThis listing is just mind-boggling.

Registered
No rust, no damage.
Yeah but do you mean a solid runner? Paint 5/10, mechanicals all original but needs all rubber and likely a thorough refresh? Because that鈥檚 $3-5000 for me.

But something clean, with paint 7+/10, no damage, stock suspension replaced recenrly, all service done at the dealer, head gasket and timing belt done preventatively, that鈥檚 $10-12k.

Registered
2000 wrx gc8
Yeah but do you mean a solid runner? Paint 5/10, mechanicals all original but needs all rubber and likely a thorough refresh? Because that鈥檚 $3-5000 for me.

But something clean, with paint 7+/10, no damage, stock suspension replaced recenrly, all service done at the dealer, head gasket and timing belt done preventatively, that鈥檚 $10-12k.
Thankyou 3-5k isnt too much but I think I might wait until the American dollar crashes so that the Aussie dollar and American are the same馃槀

1 - 20 of 34 Posts