Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to see if any or what year sti transmission would be the easer option to swap into my gc8 with out touching the rear diffs.

Is this even possible or do I need to swap the back end too when swapping trans.

I have a 2000 gc8 Auto.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Your rear diff is “probably” a 4.11 or 4.44. Neither are compatible with common STi transmissions. There are plenty of FAQs on STi 6spd swaps here and on NASIOC

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your rear diff is “probably” a 4.11 or 4.44. Neither are compatible with common STi transmissions. There are plenty of FAQs on STi 6spd swaps here and on NASIOC
I guess I’m not sure what I’m looking for...

I’m planning on getting a Ver8 Transmission and wonder what rear diff will work with it but not seeing much or not searching the right thing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I believe most 6spd transmissions are a 3.90 final drive. Other than the 2007 if I remember correctly. You can find a 3.90 R160 rear diff fairly easily. Just depends on what you want to do. A full 6sod swap with an R180 rear diff is best, but most “kits” are around $4500 used.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
370 Posts
Google "Version 8 STI transmission Final Drive" to see what rear diff you need to be looking for. It's gonna be either a 3.9, a 3.7 or 3.54.

Then you can google "subaru 3.9 rear differential (or whatever final drive the previous search came up with)" to see which one you need.

R160 is the standard size differential on most subarus. R180 is the differential on Version 7 and newer STI's, including all US STI's.

Most likely you will be looking for an R160, because that reuses your existing axles and hubs and brakes etc. An R160 will be fine for the power you can realistically throw at it. Though you may have to upgrade to better axles down the road.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Google "Version 8 STI transmission Final Drive" to see what rear diff you need to be looking for. It's gonna be either a 3.9, a 3.7 or 3.54.

Then you can google "subaru 3.9 rear differential (or whatever final drive the previous search came up with)" to see which one you need.

R160 is the standard size differential on almost subarus. R180 is the differential on Version 7 and newer STI's, including all US STI's.

Most likely you will be looking for an R160, because that reuses your existing axles and hubs and brakes etc. An R160 will be fine for the power you can realistically throw at it. Though you may have to upgrade to better axles down the road.
doing gods work out here sir!

Thank you again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts