Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1996, Impreza Outback, Blue
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My name is Josh. Relatively new to the Subaru community. Loving it so far though. I have a 1996 Impreza Outback. I have been trying to research for quite some time now what would be the best route to go for a little more power (Whether it be a complete swap, attempting to turbo a N/A, adding minor things like better cams, Ect) I just wanted to get every ones opinion on what is usually the best option. I'm not looking for anything crazy in Hp gains (I'd be pretty happy for 200 whp or so). We'll also take my budget and say I have around $1500 to spend. Look forward to hearing every ones opinions =)

·
Registered
1993 Subaru Impreza L 5smt AWD
716 Posts
Save more and swap. There are a bunch of stickies on the swaps that are available and how much they cost. That would be an awesome place to start figuring things out. Once I read them, I realized just how ill prepared I was to getting 200+whp. And considering the 1500 cash in pocket you have to spend, it will probably have the same effect on you as it did me.

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS RBP
58 Posts
Id have to agree. Save up and do a swap. I dont want to say that its completely pointless to turbo a N/A motor but it affects the reliability and for a little bit more you can make more power and have it be super reliable with a swap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, I think I have made my decision for the most part on what I want to do. Rather than do a complete swap, I think I want to mess around with my EJ22 I have in right now. As stated before i'll have about $1500 at my disposal. What would all would I need realistically for the Ej22/ EJ25D HCF build? Also i'd like to know a little bit about the Ej22 I have in right now. Would it be a Phase I with single port?
Tips or links to threads would be greatly appreciated.
As always, Thank you!

·
Registered
98 Black RS & 09 White FXT
261 Posts
Well when we say swap we dont necessarily mean you need $10k+ to do a STi swap with a 6 spd tranny and fully working dccd. You can swap in a ej20 out of the 02' - 05' wrx for a lot cheaper. And whats nice is that your current tranny can handle that kind of power, something that would be a problem with a ej257.

Here is an example of what i found easily on ebay right now, (not saying you should necessarily go out and buy this motor or even that you should buy from ebay, just an example) that works within your budget.

Subaru EJ20-G 2.0L Turbo Engine 5 Speed Manual Transmission EJ20G 2.0L | eBay

You'll find that this isnt 100% of what you might need to swap in so you might have to buy things here and there so the total cost will go up but my point is that you have options even with your budget.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess another reason i'm straying away from the ej20 swap is that I realized I wanted to stick purely N/a. I was planning on originally just doing an engine rebuild on my 2.2. The more I read into it though, the more the frankenstien build seemed like the right build to go with. Sitll have the reliability for DD and still make a bit more power than stock. Just trying to figure out what all I will need besides the 2.5 shortblock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.