Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you do when the rear end comes out and you want to straighten it? For example, it's raining and you make a sharp right turn and the rear starts coming loose. Gas? Brake? I want to know for future referance. I had a pretty close call before.. my rear end went over into the other lane slightly! :0 Luckily I didn't hit the other car.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS BRP
1,359 Posts
Don't hit your brakes....drive out of it with the gas!!!

Your brakes keep you out of trouble.....

The gas is the only thing that can get you out of trouble once you are in it!!! ;)

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Hit the gas and let the front wheel pull you back to where you want to be. I know, it's counterintuitive, but it works, trust me!

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
sorta depends on what tires you got. if you still got the crappy RE92s, then use gas lightly first. i think if you just smash the gas the tires might not grip. look at the way you want to go, and turn the steering wheel the way you want to go. gentle gas is the key. you don't want to overload the tyres all of a sudden. braking is bad, that would cause the front tyres to overload.

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So gas it and turn the wheels in the direction that the rear is going? Thanks!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yeah, pretty much! Also, your brake will modulate how tightly you rotate. By lightly tapping the brake mid turn, you transfer weight to the front of the car. This makes the back end "light" and it will come around faster. Applying a little gas will put more weight to the back of the car, and widen your turn a bit. If you really really gas it, the tires may (in super slippery conditions) lose to much traction and then your slide wont look graceful anymore. Just the right amount of gas and the tires and AWD will help pull you in the direction your front tires are aiming. Even if the car is completely sideways, keep aiming your tires "against" the slide, and with a lil finess and practice and you will be smiling ear to ear after every turn.
oh yea...and I seriously think that watching rally videos will help you see how the pros react in various situations.

-Andy

·
Premium Member
'01 RSTi - Aspen White
246 Posts
Don't counter-steer too much. If you do, you will loop it in the other direction when your tires eventually grip. Just power out of it nice and easy with slight counter-steering until your rear tires grip. It takes practice but once you become a better driver it comes second nature. Be careful.

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
i would either pratice it at an open parking lot or at an autox first.

·
Registered
116 Posts
MagicMT said:
Actually, turn the wheels to the direction that you want to go.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Well if you ever turbo the car keep in mind that there will be a point where too much gas is a bad thing. You'll have enough power to keep the ass end out where as before giving it gas would only straighten the car out.

·
Registered
05 rs 04 wrx 05 sti all black
1,929 Posts
clutch, and steer out if you start coming around too much, hitting the gas work as said above but you dont want to floor it

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
JZ oo7 said:
sorta depends on what tires you got. if you still got the crappy RE92s, then use gas lightly first. i think if you just smash the gas the tires might not grip. look at the way you want to go, and turn the steering wheel the way you want to go. gentle gas is the key. you don't want to overload the tyres all of a sudden. braking is bad, that would cause the front tyres to overload.
look who's talking :lol:

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
BLACK 05 RS said:
clutch, and steer out if you start coming around too much, hitting the gas work as said above but you dont want to floor it
why would you bump this? he probably wrecked his car by now :lol:

·
Registered
2001 RS Silverthorn
1,023 Posts
look in the direction you want to go and hit the gas. Driving school! YaY

·
Registered
Steel Grey WRX Limited
3,043 Posts
MagicMT said:
yes, gas out of it but do not countersteer. countersteering is fine until you regain traction (which you will, thats what we love about awd). once traction comes back and you're steering the wrong way then it's gonna snap oversteer in the other direction and you're gonna lose comeplete control. keep the wheels pointed where you want to go and give it steady gas. when the traction comes back it will let you drive right out of the tight spot you just got into.

be careful. snap oversteer happens very fast and most times by the time you realize whats happened it's way to late. thats why over correcting is so dangerous.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
1. Point your wheels where you want to go
2. Maintain the gas, or give a little extra
3. Be ready to correct.
4. Don't over-correct.
5. Practice.

Every car is different. In my RS, I ended up off the side of the road when I over-corrected. In the STi, I went exactly where I wanted to. Go figure.

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS MBP
963 Posts
Now if it were me I would just ride it out and when I feel it catch traction again I just yank the Ebrake HAHAHA... Just playing man

Eric

1 - 20 of 27 Posts