Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a MY00 RS and I'm going to need tires sometime this year, and I've done a bit of reading here on the forum and haven't found conclusive information on what size tires people are running, as well as brands. I have seen some info on stock size tires from some manufacturers rubbing (with stock suspension), and that some people have put on 225's with no rubbing.

Kick down your tire size, brand, model and your personal rating (dry/wet traction, anything else you see as appropriate), as well as what you paid for them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
If you're staying with stock 16" size, it's safe to run stock size. SPD Tuning recommends a 205/50-16 for better acceleration and cornering, but your speedometer will read faster by a bit and shorter gearing.

I'm on 15" steelies w/ winter tires, and I'm running with 195/65-15.

I've heard that with 17" rims, a good choice is 215/45-17(closest to stock size) or 215 40-17(better cornering/acceleration, but faster speedo and shorter gearing)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm still running the stock 16" size but I put Michelin MXV4 Plus tires on mine. I think they are around $100 a tire but I don't know for sure since I got them at an employee price. They are all season tires but have good performance too.

As far as wheel sizes go, the closest you can get to the stock size in a 17" tire is a 205/50/17. Now the size will vary depending on how wide your rim is but in general the dimensions are a match. This size would give you the same 205mm (8 inches) width of the stock tire and a similar overall diameter of 637mm (25.1 inches).

Of course most people want wider tires so they would probably go with a 215/45/17 or a 225/45/17, both of which are nearly identical to the overall diameter of the stock tire. For those of you who want to know how to calculate this I will post the formula below.

The formula is two basic steps but there is an additional step at the beginning if you want to convert from metric to the american system. We'll use the size listed below for the example:

225 / 45 / 17

The section width, 225, is in millimeters so you can convert it to inches by dividing it by 25.4. This will give you 8.858 inches.

Next you calculate the section height by multiplying the section width by the aspect ratio percentage. For this tire that would be 8.858 * .45 which equals 3.9861. Make sure to put a decimal point before the aspect ratio or your calculation will be way off.

Lastly to calculate the overall tire diameter you multiply the section height by 2 and then add the wheel diameter. For this example that would be 3.9861 * 2 = 7.9722 + 17 = 24.9722.

As you can see this tire is very close to the stock diameter also. :)

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
i have:
205/55 16 dunlop SP5000s on 16x7, +48 ADR wheels
205/55 16 BFG G-Force R1s on the stock wheels
205/65 15 Kumho R700s on 15x7, +53 Raceline RL-7s (gold of course ;) )

coming soon to the stock wheels will be 225/50 16 Kumho Ecsta V700s with the addition of KYB AGX struts.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I run stock 16" with 205x50x16 Toyo Proxes FZ4 all season tires. Great tire by the way.

I like the shorter sidewall, shorter gearing (speedo is about 4mph off at most speeds) and the increased turn in. I have the SPT springs so the smaller tires look right at home. Not to mention that the older WRX's ran a 205x50x16 tire. :D

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Are you going to use the KYB AGX to clear those tires?
that's what i'm told. the victoracers in that size on stock WRX wheels "fit" but it was clear that under even minimal load they'd rub. the ecstas are supposed to be a bit narrower and then the AGX give you a bit more room as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts