Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
This kit taps into your computers ECU and makes it think colder air is entering the engine, increasing your horespower by 5-20HP depending on your other mods!!!
Okay, let's use our brains for a moment here.

It makes your ECU think colder air is entering the engine... which one would *assume* means it would advance the timing. Yes, advanced timing means more power. However, since the air coming in was not REALLY as cold as it thought, detonation would occur. When detonation occurs, the ECU "hears" it through the knock sensor, and retards timing as much as TWENTY degrees. Not to mention that knock just beats the crap out of things like pistons, rings, and other bits, you're taking a huge risk if that box works as advertised. Plus, the RS ECU is a "learning" ECU and will teach itself to advance timing depending on the gas you use, temperature, altitude, stiff like that. HIGHLY advanced ECU.

HOWEVER, I would bet the box doesn't even do ANYthing. If I had $14 to waste I would buy one, run a 1/4 mile, install it, run another 1/4 mile and prove that there is no difference.

Just unplugging your ECU to install this would do an ECU reset and you would lose the benefit of all those months of "learning" your ECU had already done. When SCC magazine dyno'd their Impreza, reset the ECU, then dyno'd it again, they LOST 20 HP!!!!

Besides, if you are going to tell me that FHI could not or did not squeeze every last HP out of our cars in a reliable fashion, using their millions of dollars worth of computers, operated by some of the most highly educated brains in the automotive industry, and someone came up with something for $14 that works better.... man... there is NO way *I* could believe that. Sorry! :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
arent you supposed to reset the ecu everytime you do a performance mod? i know i do so would i be losing hp? the ecu need to re learn all the stuff so.. ecu reset = bad?

·
Registered
14 Posts
How can that be?

Just unplugging your ECU to install this would do an ECU reset and you would lose the benefit of all those months of "learning" your ECU had already done. When SCC magazine dyno'd their Impreza, reset the ECU, then dyno'd it again, they LOST 20 HP!!!!
How can that be possible when the WOT fuel map is static and never changes or gets 'reset'. Maybe they lost 20hp in a particular RPM range but I can't see them loosing any peak HP at WOT.

Chad

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Impreza RS
40 Posts
They lost alot because it was on a WRX. Apperently the ECU on the WRX allows for more control on timing and fuel than ours do...

RawCode

1 - 6 of 6 Posts