Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2000 WRX STi VI Type-RA Ltd
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at some JDM STi's in Cyprus, and I've found at least three with this exact same spoiler...

Is this really a JDM STi spoiler ? Isn't the brake light supposed to be in that raised bit on the lower plane, not in the upper plane ?

Cheers,
Stuart.

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes that is a JDM V5/6...I can't tell because of the angle, but the light is supposed to be on the lower plane. You are correct.
Well, that's kind of my point. If the light is supposed to be on the lower plane, is this still a genuine factory spoiler, or an aftermarket knock-off ? If it's a knock-off, there's a *lot* of them wearing the exact same spoiler.

Here's another one, for example...

And another one...

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, now I look at all three pics together, I see a couple of amber tail lights in there. I wonder if these are actually UK cars instead of JDM ones. I've never seen a UK STi V/VI in person before, as I moved to the US before they hit the market.

· Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
2,000 Posts
That is interesting for sure and I have never seen V5 replica's with top mounted lights. It must be a UK only thing. As for the amber tails, they may have come stock over there as well? Where's SC008YMAD????

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know for sure the UK requires amber turn signals. So, is the Type R pictured a UK one with added JDM tails, or a JDM one with what we're beginning to suspect is a UK spoiler ?

· I ❤ BOOBIES
MY16 Impreza Sport Limited
6,016 Posts
seems like a cheap knock off. at first i thought it was a mod on someone's behalf, like they were trying to make it seem custom on their part. but after seeing two other cars with the same spoiler, its gotta be a knock off

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, I am now in Cyprus, and I think I may have found more info to help uncover the mystery. A bit, anyway.

Since arriving in Cyprus, I have seen two more cars with this exact same spoiler, and have had a chance to talk to the owner of one of the cars. And I think I see a pattern emerging. All of the cars I've seen with this spoiler are Version IV STi's, not versions V or VI. And rumour has it that this is how they came off the boat from Japan. So, not a UK version spoiler after all. It is entirely possible that the shipper in Japan has added the spoiler to help them sell, or to try and pass the cars off as newer then they really are to unwary buyers/dealers.

As for the quality, the couple I've seen up close seem OK. Of course, I wasn't able to do a full stress test analysis, but they seemed to fit well enough. So, I'm not yet willing to dub them "crappy knock-off", but they certainly do seem to be some kind of knock-off after all.

Bye for now,
Stuart.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.