Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Impreza RS EJ251
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does buying a short throw shifter fall into the same catagory as buying a LW pulley. Cheaper is better. I have been looking at STS and they go from $80 to $250.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I'm partial to the Cobb. It's double-adjustable for both throw and height, can adjust it just how you want it. But DEFINITELY get the hardened bushings with the shifter. Rubber bushings and a short-throw is teh suck.

·
Registered
1998 BMW M3
2,657 Posts
im anti-cobb. have seen those things fail mid-track session. nobody wants to loose gears mid shift.

SYMS or OEM sti. OEM sti is baller at $250 or so but worth it as you actually get a FULL LINKAGE instead of a little stick. true short shift.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Ebay FTW. :)

At 30 bucks a pop you can afford to bring like 5 of them to the track in case a few break :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
MattB said:
Ebay FTW. :)

At 30 bucks a pop you can afford to bring like 5 of them to the track in case a few break :rolleyes:
Yeah but literally shortened, without it being longer past the fulcrum doesn't make it nearly as good as a true short shifter.

With that said... I went with the Kart3oy bits. I think it was $99 for the SS, Shift Knob, Bling, Bushings, and a Lemonhead. I also bought the KB Shifter stay, vast improvement over stock. I think it was $130-40 in all. :sunny:

·
Registered
00 OBS Silverthorn Metallic
4,184 Posts
supermoose said:
im anti-cobb. have seen those things fail mid-track session. nobody wants to loose gears mid shift.

SYMS or OEM sti. OEM sti is baller at $250 or so but worth it as you actually get a FULL LINKAGE instead of a little stick. true short shift.
I was fortunate enough to find the OEM short shift lever which is plug and play with the RS linkage. I paid $80 for it with an STi titanium shift knob. Can't beat a deal like that. I have absolutely no complaints. It's nothing drastic, but it did shorten the throws. I have the KB front and rear shifter bushings on my tool box waiting to be installed.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
supermoose said:

Almost 3 years, 60,000 miles and a season of autox time and no problems with my Cobb shifter whatsoever. Sounds like a vendor who wants to sell something slamming the product he doesn't sell.

·
Registered
Impreza 2.5rs
745 Posts
FalconRS said:
Almost 3 years, 60,000 miles and a season of autox time and no problems with my Cobb shifter whatsoever. Sounds like a vendor who wants to sell something slamming the product he doesn't sell.
Yeah....

Originally Posted by supermoose

supermoose: I'd like to see how it failed... did yours fail? was it just one? was a malfunctioning shifter the only cause of failure? do you really know all the factors involved?

Is that really enough to be "anti-Cobb"

Even kartboy recomends Cobb for the double adjustablility.

I went with kartboy and bushing combo :banana: Great product and service.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
I seriously considered the COBB before I went with the KB, but I really just couldn't justify the price... Like most others I would adjust it once, and never touch it again.

·
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
I went with the KB also, didnt get the bushings though :( I have been driving around the RS while the L is getting work on and it has the stock shifter, boy to I miss the KB :lol:

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
luckysubie said:
Yeah but literally shortened, without it being longer past the fulcrum doesn't make it nearly as good as a true short shifter.

With that said... I went with the Kart3oy bits. I think it was $99 for the SS, Shift Knob, Bling, Bushings, and a Lemonhead. I also bought the KB Shifter stay, vast improvement over stock. I think it was $130-40 in all. :sunny:
I bought one off ebay for 30 bucks and it is a 40% shorter throw...I have had no problems with it...running autocross, rallies, driving like a moron... :)

·
Registered
1998 BMW M3
2,657 Posts
i am anti kobb. saw the thing fail miserably at laguna seca, if you really wanted to i could put you in touch with the owner of the car. he was cursing it pretty hardcore. a couple of the adjustible sections had stripped bolt/nut combo- this was on a GDB 6 speed setup, perhaps the 5 speed is better (sans the pull up 6mt reverse thing). this guy was PISSSED though, and he knew what he was talking about.

I dislike cobb in general. buy the kartboy if you want cheap stick solution solving. Cobb's forged engine internals are made in chinaland - good quality as i know the owner of the factory, but cobb is not all red white and blue like they make themselves out to be

h

·
Registered
Acura TL-S
1,645 Posts
FalconRS said:
it seems perfectly logical tho that a shifter with mpre peices has a better chance of failing

·
Registered
2007 Impreza 2.5i
141 Posts
When I bought my L, it came with an ebay ss. Still in there and works ok after 6ish months. Not a bad deal, but I would def go with kartboy, or sti if you have the $.

·
Registered
'99 2.5 RS Rally Blue Pearl
937 Posts
TWM short throw + bushings. i have never autox'd, never tracked, but i do drive like a moron sometimes and it's my dd.

anyway, like 40% angular reduction and 2 in height drop, i like it, even though the bushings were a major pita to install (very worth it though)

·
Registered
02 GD6
2,056 Posts
i've been through three short shifters:

1- twm short shift (made in my hometown): it is the most beautiful shifter by a long shot, but who the hell cares since its hidden under a boot? i found two problems with it which led me to changing it... 1) waaay too short, i had to reach with my finger tips to get it out of 5th gear. 2) it's made from aluminium, which has bad vibration absorption, and therefore it was very prone to vibration and rattling.

2- DIY short shift: basically cut up my stock shifter, found some sturdy pipe couplers, and interference fit the whole thing together. lengthened the bottom half, shortened the top half (less than the TWM). this worked pretty well, good length, vibrations were down also. but after cutting, the rubber potted portion of the shifter became too weak and the shifter would bend and flex while shifting... garbage. cost me 5$ tho :)

3- sti short shifter (lever only): picked this baby up for 20$ off a guy who separated it from the sti linkage for some unknown reason. it fit into my linkage with a few washers to take up the slack. PERFECT size, perfect feel, no vibrations, it wins all around.

all these shifters were used with front + rear kartboy bushings. i also grinded the shifter plate for better clearance and bent the shift linkage arm more than stock (like the sti shifter linkage). this is the only difference between the stock linkage and the sti linkage. that and the bushings, but i have kartboys which are even stiffer. so in the end, i have a superior shifter linkage than the sti for a fraction of the cost :)

·
Registered
02 GD6
2,056 Posts
jonGF8 said:
STI linkage + Kartboy lever and bushings.
you just wasted alot of money on a useless sti linkage. the only thing you gained with it is more bend in the linkage arm, which can be accomplished with a BFH (big f**** hammer).

1 - 20 of 72 Posts