Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
'98 RSTi, '10 LGT, '17 FXT
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
I'm planning on getting Recaro Pole Positions for my RS. I'm looking for some seat rails, but not sure what to get. I have researched a bit, I was really leaning on the Buddy Club Low Down rails, but I'm worried it might lower me too much. From what I've read it lowers 2-3 inches from stock even at the highest setting. I'm 5'5, 142lbs and I think the stock height is alright, not sure how it would be if I was any lower. I was also looking into the Bride Type FO rails, but people say its taller than stock. I'm looking for a setup with a slider as part of the criteria.
Any suggestions?

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Just buy one of the Buddy Club low down rails and put it on the passenger side. See if you like it or not. If not, no big deal. That's if you don't mind having the passenge side a little lower, you know. Rally car style.

Me, I'm probably going to just go with a Sparco rail base mount, then get the seat rails to match. I've see other ppl simply take the seat rails and mount them directly to the sliders and go that route. Me, I'd rather have the base mount, so there is a nice big metal piece that ties the two rails together, instead of just the seat. Rather not put any unnecessary strain on the seat.

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the other option would be to get a Planted base, a slider and Planted side mounts. But that's more $ than an all in one setup haha.

I only plan on getting 1 seat for now, so getting a passenger side mount wouldn't help since I'll be running the wrx seat there for now.

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Well I haven't gotten any of the seat mounting hardware, so I can't tell you whether any of them lower or raise the seat.

I'm 5' 7" and I like where the OEM seats already sit. So this thread will be helpful to me in the future.

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
If you can buy those from somewhere else, I'd probably buy them from somewhere else. Rallysportdirect is such a ripoff. They charge more and also rape you for shipping.

They wanted to charge me $100 to ship a clutch and flywheel. I didn't even spend that much to have my 4/2 pots with rotors shipped. I went to Oakos, $25 for shipping. I've given up on Rallysportdirect.

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol yeah I wasn't planning on buying from rallysportdirect haha. But I'm probably gonna get planted base, sparco rails, planted side mounts.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
Pole Positions (excellent choice BTW) you've got a few ways you can do it assuming you want to move the seat back and forth

1. sandwich style - ala planted, sparco, and others. Downside, you're stacking one thing on top of another, with hardware for each. More hardware to potentially check and snug up down the road. Another downside, you need to buy sidemounts separately since this is an ala carte type deal. Biggest downside? It positions you high - in nearly every car I've ever done this route in (many), you're at least 1/4-1/2 inch higher than stock. For some, no big deal. For others, it can be the difference between you fitting with a helmet or not. Accepts the stock female side of the OE seatbelt so you can switch back and forth between OE and harness...but, it will be super low vs the seat height, and can be a bit of a pain to reach. Subaru should sell a seatbelt "extender" to solve this, but, IDK...kind of a cheesy way to deal with it, things connected to things erector set style. Or, a DIY solution - use maybe 1/4" steel, cut a hole at each end, grade 8 hardware, and extend the female side yourself. Or another DIY, "look what I found out" solution? Get a spare Impreza male and female section of the seatbelt, head to junkyard, start looking at other cars (rear seats?) and find a female that is longer than stock Impreza, and will click with your male OE seatbelt. Time consuming, but end result will be clean

1A. Bride RO base with Recaro side mounts. The base is a full chassis base, so steel runs fore and aft under the seat...limits how low you can go a bit, but you'll still have a span that can go lower or higher than stock. Like option 2, Bride integrates the slider to the base...very nice. That's why you don't sit ridiculously high. Downside? Cost is higher. Another downside? Weight...a bit lighter than option 1, but certainly heavier than option 2. Bride also does their own tabbed side mounts, which sorta makes it a hybrid solution between option 1 and 2.

2. All in one style - ala Bride and Buddy Club and Nagisa. This method places the rail in the base itself. Upside? Less hardware. Another upside? Less weight. Another upside? No crazy height to deal with. Accepts the stock female side of the OE seatbelt so you can switch back and forth between OE and harness. No buckle height issue like option 1. For a bucket seat, IMHO, this is the way to do it. I've been running it in this way for awhile now, works perfectly (Momo FIA spec Seat, Buddy Club base/slider). On mine, the "side mount" tabs bolt to the rail using a nice cap nut. Once snugged, its tight. I have not had to touch mine in 2.5 years. All of these are a double lock style too, which I found very rigid.

Or:

3. Minimalist style - side mounts bolted right to the floor. Can't slide the seat, but you're done and done. Lightweight weight, no fuss, but not easily adjustable. Downside? You better have a harness as you won't be able to use a stock seatbelt

Alot of guys get preoccupied on the side mounts with FIA spec vs non....especially because the seat is FIA spec, so they understandably want to keep it all in spec and have a nice safe solution. Problem is, I don't think any sliders are FIA spec'd at all though, making the "which sidemounts should I get" question, kinda moot. They come in 2 basic types, simple tabs (steel), or full version (Recaro, Sparco, Planted, etc) which come in aluminum or steel. I forget which rule in the FIA book sets forth the sliders rule, but I'd imagine it has something to do with being spec'd for the seat, vs a universal slider. Perhaps with a back brace, the slider meets the spec. Not sure myself, would have to look at the rules.

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
I'd love to go with the Minimalist style, except I'd like easy access to the back seat area.

·
Registered
01 RSTI 93 L
733 Posts
Got it, looks like I might go that route. How are the sparco sliders? Are you using the Sparco flat rail sliders as shown here:
Sparco Seat Track Set Flat Sliders Rail Competition 00493 at RallySportDirect.com
I believe those are what I have

My only problem was that I needed to bend the handle down to make more of an angle because it hit my seat when pulling up

My friend had the same problem when using them with recaro seats.

It's probably because they're universal sliders.

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pole Positions (excellent choice BTW) you've got a few ways you can do it assuming you want to move the seat back and forth

1. sandwich style - ala planted, sparco, and others. Downside, you're stacking one thing on top of another, with hardware for each. More hardware to potentially check and snug up down the road. Another downside, you need to buy sidemounts separately since this is an ala carte type deal. Biggest downside? It positions you high - in nearly every car I've ever done this route in (many), you're at least 1/4-1/2 inch higher than stock. For some, no big deal. For others, it can be the difference between you fitting with a helmet or not. Accepts the stock female side of the OE seatbelt so you can switch back and forth between OE and harness...but, it will be super low vs the seat height, and can be a bit of a pain to reach. Subaru should sell a seatbelt "extender" to solve this, but, IDK...kind of a cheesy way to deal with it, things connected to things erector set style. Or, a DIY solution - use maybe 1/4" steel, cut a hole at each end, grade 8 hardware, and extend the female side yourself. Or another DIY, "look what I found out" solution? Get a spare Impreza male and female section of the seatbelt, head to junkyard, start looking at other cars (rear seats?) and find a female that is longer than stock Impreza, and will click with your male OE seatbelt. Time consuming, but end result will be clean

1A. Bride RO base with Recaro side mounts. The base is a full chassis base, so steel runs fore and aft under the seat...limits how low you can go a bit, but you'll still have a span that can go lower or higher than stock. Like option 2, Bride integrates the slider to the base...very nice. That's why you don't sit ridiculously high. Downside? Cost is higher. Another downside? Weight...a bit lighter than option 1, but certainly heavier than option 2. Bride also does their own tabbed side mounts, which sorta makes it a hybrid solution between option 1 and 2.

2. All in one style - ala Bride and Buddy Club and Nagisa. This method places the rail in the base itself. Upside? Less hardware. Another upside? Less weight. Another upside? No crazy height to deal with. Accepts the stock female side of the OE seatbelt so you can switch back and forth between OE and harness. No buckle height issue like option 1. For a bucket seat, IMHO, this is the way to do it. I've been running it in this way for awhile now, works perfectly (Momo FIA spec Seat, Buddy Club base/slider). On mine, the "side mount" tabs bolt to the rail using a nice cap nut. Once snugged, its tight. I have not had to touch mine in 2.5 years. All of these are a double lock style too, which I found very rigid.

Or:

3. Minimalist style - side mounts bolted right to the floor. Can't slide the seat, but you're done and done. Lightweight weight, no fuss, but not easily adjustable. Downside? You better have a harness as you won't be able to use a stock seatbelt

Alot of guys get preoccupied on the side mounts with FIA spec vs non....especially because the seat is FIA spec, so they understandably want to keep it all in spec and have a nice safe solution. Problem is, I don't think any sliders are FIA spec'd at all though, making the "which sidemounts should I get" question, kinda moot. They come in 2 basic types, simple tabs (steel), or full version (Recaro, Sparco, Planted, etc) which come in aluminum or steel. I forget which rule in the FIA book sets forth the sliders rule, but I'd imagine it has something to do with being spec'd for the seat, vs a universal slider. Perhaps with a back brace, the slider meets the spec. Not sure myself, would have to look at the rules.
I would like to go for option 2 just not sure on the heights that are available. I've been reading that the Buddy Clubs are great for guys that are over 6ft, but for a short guy like me I'm worried if I could see over the dash if I was that low....

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts

This would help for us shorties. :p

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I believe those are what I have

My only problem was that I needed to bend the handle down to make more of an angle because it hit my seat when pulling up

My friend had the same problem when using them with recaro seats.

It's probably because they're universal sliders.
How tall are you if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
'98 RS Swap & '13 GMC Sierra
221 Posts
As a note to Z1 performance's option #1 about the extended belt. I can tell you that at least on my 98 RS the male belt tab matched the female receptacle of my '07 LGT Spec B, which on the drivers side has an extended, flexible "whip" style receptacle which solved the headache

·
Registered
'98 RS Swap & '13 GMC Sierra
221 Posts
Oh one other thing as he mentioned above that I just remembered and want to emphasize since I just installed my new racing buckets (Sparco EVO 2 Griptech on Sparco bases and side mounts). If you want to have sliders and race you damn well better be short especially if you have a sunroof still in the car. I'm 5' 11" and with sliders in place, my helmet on and no sunroof/headliner due to my cage and I use to hit my head on the roof every now and then. After removing the Sparco sliders I fit great in the car.

Do note without sliders in place, the Sparco setup I have is lower than my stock seats by about an inch which is really nice. The only other thing you may want to think about if you fix the seat is having a removable steering wheel. I can't tell you how much easier it is to get in and out of the car especially when I've had to Dukes of Hazard it in and out of the car when it's on a trailer and I can't open the doors

1 - 20 of 34 Posts