Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as most of you know now, i have my 00 RS and im working/moding it every day. i still have to get it registered and pass emissions. i am curious on what mods you guys have an if you passed emissions? i am still confused on emission stuff... all that is needed to pass is that you DO NOT have a CEL?
i have some SOHC stock cams sitting under my bed...lol and i want to know if anyone with delta 2000 grind passed. i want to know what will work and what wont work with emissions/mods

· Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
3,496 Posts
I am as we speak throwing in a new 02 sensor with spacer and then going to bump my idle up in hopes of passing with Borla headers, stock cat-pipe, custom cat-back, Delta 2000 grind....

WISH ME LUCK! gotta get rid of a P0420 and a Misfire at idle!!!

· Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am as we speak throwing in a new 02 sensor with spacer and then going to bump my idle up in hopes of passing with Borla headers, stock cat-pipe, custom cat-back, Delta 2000 grind....

WISH ME LUCK! gotta get rid of a P0420 and a Misfire at idle!!!
let me know how it goes!

· Registered
STi swapped SF5, WTF?
3,129 Posts
You'll pass with a set of mild cams. I passed in CT with my old WRX that had rather parge cams and it was running Hella Rich at idle. Just make sure you have no CELs and all of you monitors are set.

· Registered
2000 Subaru 2.5RS Silverthorne
260 Posts
Some CELs. Didnt want to start a new thread.

Quick Q for you guys. Stats: MY00 MAP RS @ 120K w/ Borla's, Catback, and intake (if that even matters). I believe there may be a slight exhaust leak somewhere, but definately nothing large. I'm getting the knock sensor code which I'll try to fix with, guess what, a new knock sensor.

The real problem: P0420. I got that 50% of the time when all I had was a catback, then I got the header and it was even more often. Put two defoulers on the rear sensor, only slightly better but still the code. Giving it a full tuneup now before I replace any other sensors. In the event that P0420 does come back, next step would be to replace the rear O2 sensor right? Wiring a resistor in doesnt seem like it would do anything if 2 defoulers dont work when I have a stock cat.

Also, how many miles does it take the ECU to be in "Ready" mode to test for emmissions? Someone mentioned this elsewhere on the forum and it's similar to me, the code seems to occur more frequently after highway use in contrast to town use. If I can pass emmissions I dont care about this anymore period, b/c I'm getting 26-29 mpg so the car is running happy to boot. Thanks again yall.

· Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
3,496 Posts
I am in pretty much the same boat as you with the P0420 even with the 2 defoulers on the rear 02 sensor. I have a new sensor in there too and it didnt do a thing. I am also throwing a P0302 misfire on cylinder 2 so I can't pass emissions right now...I might put my stock headers back on and figure out this misfire so I can go pass soon. My misfire is probably from my Delta 2000 grind cams...

· Hoopty King
2000 BRP 2.5RS/1994 Legacy SS
1,440 Posts
I have a hi-flow cat and get that infamous P0420 code. In order to get inspected I just hook up my OBD-II reader and turn it off before driving down to get inspected. As long as the code stays off for the 3 mile drive to the local GM dealer, I don't have a problem, I just bring the reader with me in case it does.
Obviously, this won't work if they do a sniffer test.

· Registered
260 Posts
Well it probably would pass the sniffer test b/c this whole issue is with our ECU's being shitheads, but that's besides the point. Doesnt clearing the code with things like readers and ScanGuages still technically Reset the ECU? Meaning it would still need some time to be in "Ready" mode?

Matt: (hey I'm a Matt too haha) Yea I really really dont want to have to put my stock headers back on.. Those Borlas were a total PITA to install. From lurking on the Delta threads for ages now, yes I'd say your misfires are from the cams or if you have any lightweight fly or pulleys.

· Registered
05 OBP STi
412 Posts
my 3" catless turboback passed the CT sniffer....

with the ecu code thing, theres a certain time frame the car has to go through before testing, however i dont know what it is for subys lol. for vw's, you have to drive 100miles after clearing codes before they'll test. they will know as soon as they connect to the ECU.

· Registered
260 Posts
Haha, yea man that's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm fairly certain that there's a time between "Ready" w/ no CEL's and "EFF YOU" with P0420 with my car. If you see what i'm getting at, I want to get that damn car in there to emmissions to pass before it gives me the yellow-light-on-the-dash middle finger. PS: you's my neighbor haha. I'm in norwegian wood.

Anyone know if clearing the code w/ a ScanGuage will let the car immediately be ready for testing afterwards?

· Registered
05 OBP STi
412 Posts
i would think a scangauge is a scan tool w/ alot of functionality. i think james would know what the ecu time might be, i think he's still in the US. PSS: you know me struski.... andy... rhd sti... uconn.... lol. i live on the opposite side of town.

· Registered
260 Posts
i thought so, but i was like why the hell does his user name say drewdo...... wait.....andrew... andy...drew... oops. haha. Never herd anyone call you that. I hope James isnt still around.. he was supposed to be outa here nearly 2 weeks ago.. but I'll give him a ring regardless.

btw my car has a 5 oclock shadow like yours now. once i get rid of these damn CELs itll be entirely/almost mechanically soudn agian. woot.

· Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
3,496 Posts
Well my misfire may be a REAL misfire. Seems a bad valve adjustment may be the cause of this code. I will have to let the car sit and do it early tomorrow morning. Last time I did it the engine was hot and that probably threw my adjustments off...

As for the P0420 I am just gonna throw the stock headers on until I can pass and then live with a CEL after that...

· Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
3,496 Posts
I just got a BIG RED "R"

Misfire on cylinder 1 and 2. Maybe my new 02 sensor will fix that?

I went to the inspection station with no engine light on and it went on while in the inspection... WTF!

· Registered
260 Posts
^^^ 10 more miles, haha.

Matt: I know it's not really a scientific way of doing it, but I can usually get my cars to play ball after I give it a full tuneup. They seem more ECU friendly and sniffer-test friendly with fresh stuff in 'em. Otherwise, I dont know what would really cause misfires ...

· Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
3,496 Posts
I did plugs/wire. Also just rebuilt my top end when I put the cams in. I have a new rear 02 sensor in and a front 02 sensor going in tonight. Hopefully that will fix my problems.

· Registered
260 Posts
Ahh, gotcha. That wud be my next thing to do as well... Gluck with that man.

I re-registered my car 3 days before my emmissions were due, so I dont really have to worry about it for 2 more years haha.

· Registered
93 Imperza L Ameythst
3,985 Posts
93L Imreza
Motor: EJ207
ECU: V7 Spec C ECU
Upipe is cattless (no egt bung either)
Downpipe is TXS 4" Bellmouth cattless
Midpipe is 3" all the way back
Muffler is SPT

I do not throw CEL's and it is an OBDII car with an 03 Dash swap.

Then again I live in Indiana and we have no emissions testing :) so i dont know what it would do otherwise.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.