Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
MY02 White TS
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm wondering what kind of metal I should use for a custom midpipe? I'm up in Canada so my car weather 90 summers and -40 winters with some rain and lots of snow.

Should I get SS or just aluminum? The SS will cost about $25 more to make, and the shop that can do SS bends might charge more.

Thank you:)

·
Registered
'02 PSM 2.5 RS
1,688 Posts
SS, I don't know of anyone using aluminum for exhaust parts.

·
Registered
MY02 White TS
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't mean just Aluminum. I meant the other material that exhaust normally uses except for SS.

So aluminized mild steel should be ok then?

And does it matter if it's crush bent or mandrel bent for a midpipe?

Thanks.

·
Registered
'02 PSM 2.5 RS
1,688 Posts
SS is gonna hold up a lot better to the harsh winters you have there. So I think it would be well worth the extra money so it doesn't rust off in a few years.

And you definitely want mandrel bent, crush bent is just junk and will restrict flow a ton.

·
Hoopty King
2000 BRP 2.5RS/1994 Legacy SS
876 Posts
If you live anywhere that has snow/salt or whatnot, go with stainless steel. The exhaust that came on my RS was a custom made mild steel exhaust, it's basically all rusted out now and looks and sounds horrible. Spend the extra now for stainless, and you'll save yourself in the long run, most likely.
(Luckily for me, I picked up headers and a catback for $250 on craigslist, all stainless. :D)

·
Registered
02' PSM WRX
1,535 Posts
its just a midpipe. hardly any bends in it. what diameter? what year make and model car? whats done to it? i think the is one small bend in the midpipe. just crush bend it. no biggie.

·
Registered
MY02 White TS
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MY02 TS wagon, stock cat, stromung axleback. Midpipe will be 2.25'' ID.

For now I'm just thinking a midpipe with no resonator, would that be too loud?

So yeah, I think there's just one 15 degree bent in the pipe.

·
Registered
02' PSM WRX
1,535 Posts
i would put a resonator. teh stromung tends to be on the louder side of exhausts. the srait thru resonator will tone it down slightly and clean up the sound.

·
Registered
MY02 White TS
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool thanks. Are those straight through resonators all pretty much the same?

And SS is the way to go then it looks like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts