Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

What Octane number do you use inyour gas tank?

• 91-93, Yea Baby!!

Votes: 112 36.7%
  • 89, does the job, no complaints.

Votes: 64 21.0%
  • 87, I'm poor, only wish i could use the high stuff.

Votes: 129 42.3%

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza RS
553 Posts
Its been awhile since you posted, just curious about how your Tractor is running now that you lowered your octane rating.
Must not be much more to think about in Waterville.:lol:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Ozzy said:
Its been awhile since you posted, just curious about how your Tractor is running now that you lowered your octane rating.
Must not be much more to think about in Waterville.:lol:
Man, do I really need to get Rotorfreak on your bitch ass! i only use a tractor when I need to haul your MOM around up here. Here left butt cheek has its own area code. Plus, she is kinda like the local hardware store here......2 cents a SCREW! BIATCH!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Wait, you know where Waterville is? I thought I lived in a nowhere town that no one knew about.....Its ok though, Im moving in July. Finally outa this Inbread town!

·
Registered
00 White GC8 (GM8) P1 twin, EJ207, 5spd DCCD, cusco rear LSD, STi front LSD
1,042 Posts
the factory recommends what should be used. the reason why there is higher octane gas at the track is because those engines are running with higher compression ratios and such, plus with big time turbos. even with the NA motors they are modified. thats why there is race fuel. take your stock motor car to the track and put that in, see if you dont have any problems. in my opinion you are wasting your money on higher octane gas if your motor is not recommnended to use it. if you think i am nuts, call any race team or vendor or email subaru for that matter, and ask about it. i am pretty sure that higher octane gas will not help a motor if its not designed to use it. it may feel like your car is getting power, but its actually not. it just feels different. but not necessarily because of a gain in power.

·
Premium Member
2000, GF4 wagon, BRP
10,383 Posts
SoloImpreza said:
the factory recommends what should be used. the reason why there is higher octane gas at the track is because those engines are running with higher compression ratios and such, plus with big time turbos. even with the NA motors they are modified. thats why there is race fuel. take your stock motor car to the track and put that in, see if you dont have any problems. in my opinion you are wasting your money on higher octane gas if your motor is not recommnended to use it. if you think i am nuts, call any race team or vendor or email subaru for that matter, and ask about it. i am pretty sure that higher octane gas will not help a motor if its not designed to use it. it may feel like your car is getting power, but its actually not. it just feels different. but not necessarily because of a gain in power.
:stupid: That gas, like he said, is for cars running lots of compression or lots of boost.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
and trying to boycott gas stations is not going to help. its not in our hands. its in the hands of OPEC. which is not controlled by us, and we can only influence one of the 10 countries or so in the memebership. (IRAQ)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
SoloImpreza said:
to what extend would u say a car is modified? a lot of ppl has i/h/e on their car, is that considered modified? please dont take this the wrong way im just trying to understand here. coz i did talked to my mechanic who's a bike instructor in thunderhill and he too recommended me to run 100/105? octane when i go to the track. i dunno, i know i might be wasting money but sometimes i just cant accept the fact that im pouring lower octane gas in my car.

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza RS
553 Posts
CWC.02 said:
Wait, you know where Waterville is? I thought I lived in a nowhere town that no one knew about.....Its ok though, Im moving in July. Finally outa this Inbread town!
Yah, I know where Waterville is. Its the place that I stop in to take a piss on the way go fishing. Should be going through on april 23rd.
Inbread huh, must be rough.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
thats a bike mechanic. not saying he doesnt know anything, but bike motors run different. and this thread is in respect to the RS motor. going to the track with your stock car and using regular 87 octane is fine. if your leaning it out with some kind of computer or got boost, then higher octane should be used. racing fuel is for the race cars at the track not necessarily for the production cars of everyday drivers at the track. yes racing fuel is higher and give power, but to only motors that can operate on best efficient power. its like putting a 100 watt bulb in a 60 watt lamp. its possible, but its not going to use no 100watts. if it does, it will get burned out.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
SoloImpreza said:
thats a bike mechanic. not saying he doesnt know anything, but bike motors run different. and this thread is in respect to the RS motor. going to the track with your stock car and using regular 87 octane is fine. if your leaning it out with some kind of computer or got boost, then higher octane should be used. racing fuel is for the race cars at the track not necessarily for the production cars of everyday drivers at the track. yes racing fuel is higher and give power, but to only motors that can operate on best efficient power. its like putting a 100 watt bulb in a 60 watt lamp. its possible, but its not going to use no 100watts. if it does, it will get burned out.
no, he's my car's mechanic and also a bike instrutor at thunderhill. he also races car FYI. my point is, how do u determine if a car is modified or not? u said running 87 in a stock car is fine i understand that. but i have i/h/e on my car, so should i run higher octane? what abt some ppl only have intake of just exhaust on their cars?

also in ur example of putting 100w bulbs in 60w lamp they do shine brighter, just burn out quicker.

·
Premium Member
MY98 2.5RS Coupe Brilliant Red
880 Posts
Installing an intake/headers/exhaust on your RS is no valid reason for running higher octane fuels.

Again, the only thing a higher octane fuel affords you (get it, affords... since it's the MOST expensive out there) is a decreased possibility of detonation. And on a car with just I/H/E engine mods (no heads, cams, turbo/super charger), there will be no performance increase.

Running boost increases the chances of detonation, which is why you hear pinging if you put anything less than 90's in a stock WRX. The lower octance cannot handle the compression, and with the lower octance, it ignites at a point less than optimal (premature) and causes the pinging.

Our cars (RS's) were designed and tuned to run off 87, and I'm still :wtf: over people putting anything more in their tanks.

And I don't understand (again) how me putting 87 octane in my tank means I'm poor. I feel it means that I follow manufacturer's directions (even if I've modded almost everything on the car).

AJ

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
when i say modified i mean like heavyily modified. having a oem wrx turboes on a ej25 or ej18 does not count. but lets say you run something like a mazda protege engine that runs in the SCCA world challenge, that motor is no where close to stock. its the 2L NA motor, pushing somewhere around 220-250 i think. that motor is good for one or two races. they pretty much get thrown out or rebuilt. thats the shat that uses the highest racing octane gas.

·
Registered
2010 Impreza 2.5i 5-door, 5-sp
2,124 Posts
squared away said:
...Our cars (RS's) were designed and tuned to run off 87, and I'm still :wtf: over people putting anything more in their tanks...

·
Registered
STM 00/05 RSTi
329 Posts
76, good fuel and no mtbe.

Consider yourself lucky if you don't buy gas in the Bay Area - consistently the highest prices in the nation. I'm paying about $2.35 for 91 and I've paid as much as $2.49. Boycotting won't work - it all comes from the same place.

I use 91 in my '65 Riviera for power, and 91 in my truck to keep the injectors clean. Higher octane fuel has better detergents. I'm still on the fence with the (new) RS. I've heard some good arguments but I'm still not convinced one way or the other...

I'm going to get some professional advice when I get my Gravelsports and I'll post what I find out.

'till then... :burnout: :burnout: Z

·
Premium Member
91 Honda Accord LX
824 Posts
man, everybody thinks they're paying "the highest prices in the nation." we've been at and over $2.40 for 87 for a few weeks now i think. $2.50 for 89 & $2.60 for 91.

·
Registered
STM 00/05 RSTi
329 Posts
Dopey said:
man, everybody thinks they're paying "the highest prices in the nation." we've been at and over $2.40 for 87 for a few weeks now i think. $2.50 for 89 & $2.60 for 91.
Well that's fucked - sorry to hear that. At least you don't drive a gas guzzler.

·
Premium Member
91 Honda Accord LX
824 Posts
ha! i don't even drive shit! :( good & bad all at the same time. thank you for your concern, though. now it's back down to $2.30 for 87.

we're actually lucky anyway. when i went to Peru last summer their gas was usually around 8 soles per gallon. letsee...that'd be almost $3 american per gallon. peru's highest paying jobs (which there aren't many of) get about 10 soles per day. about $3.25 american. that's why the only cars on the road are the few rich & an assload of taxis. i still don't know how they do it.

how much are you canadians paying these days?? used to be like $4 a gallon, right?

61 - 80 of 195 Posts