Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

What Octane number do you use inyour gas tank?

• 91-93, Yea Baby!!

Votes: 111 36.5%
  • 89, does the job, no complaints.

Votes: 64 21.1%
  • 87, I'm poor, only wish i could use the high stuff.

Votes: 129 42.4%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
99 silv P1 look-a-like ej207
1,039 Posts
cwc our cars burn more gas to be safer. the reason why subaru engines run and last so long is that they are dummy proof. they burn more gas to prevent damage to the engine.

using octane thats different from what the factory says is probably not the best results in power and/or mileage. you can pre detonate.

·
Registered
2010 Impreza 2.5i 5-door, 5-sp
2,124 Posts
SoloImpreza said:
using octane thats different from what the factory says is probably not the best results in power and/or mileage. you can pre detonate.
Ziggyrama said:
Oh, and by the way, Subaru's do not run THAT hot. 10:1 compression ratio is about average now for N/A. If you're having heat problems, it might be a sing of something else, like old or improper spark plugs.
Cool. I was starting to get tired of arguing. I was just going to give up. Glad some other people agree with me. At least some people get it. :D

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,537 Posts
OK, here's what I have so far, in chronological order. I'd been using 92 octane for the 2 or 3 fill-ups before started, so the first 92 should be about normal. You can see the MPG going down once I switched over to 87, and on the last tank, the cost/mile is over what 92 would be. But I'll keep on tracking this, and see what happens. Oh, and I have a GanzFlow CAI, K&N filter, Stromung axle-back exhaust, and a ProECM. Car feels a little peppier with 92, by the way. If anyone cares enough, I'll keep this updated as I get more gas.

OCTANE....COST/GAL....MILES....GALLONS....MPG.........COST/MILE

·
Premium Member
MY98 2.5RS Coupe Brilliant Red
880 Posts
CWC.02 said:
The SAE and the API (they're engineers so what could they possibly know that a bunch of amateur garage mechanics don't? ) have commissioned tests on "the effect of octane on knock-sensor equipped vehicles". The SAE sells a 109 page book by that same title if you're interested in all the details.
What could a group of people with 10 lb heads possibly know? I'm thinking, maybe, just possibly, the correct octane to use in the engines they designed. Though, I may be searching on that one.
[read, sarcasm]

And nice analysis on the cost/mile bit. I'll give it a shot these next few fill ups and see what happens as well. I'll give 89 octane a shot, and list my findings.

AJ

·
Registered
422 Posts
HondaH8er said:
OK, here's what I have so far, in chronological order. I'd been using 92 octane for the 2 or 3 fill-ups before started, so the first 92 should be about normal. You can see the MPG going down once I switched over to 87, and on the last tank, the cost/mile is over what 92 would be. But I'll keep on tracking this, and see what happens. Oh, and I have a GanzFlow CAI, K&N filter, Stromung axle-back exhaust, and a ProECM. Car feels a little peppier with 92, by the way. If anyone cares enough, I'll keep this updated as I get more gas.

This is the kind of info that makes this forum great!! This is what we need not unfounded arguments.

·
Premium Member
91 Honda Accord LX
824 Posts
HondaH8er said:

just thought i'd let most of you know you're lucky.

octane....cost/gal

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,537 Posts
Dopey said:
just thought i'd let most of you know you're lucky.

octane....cost/gal

Don't worry, we'll be catching up to you pretty soon, I'm afraid:( The rising cost is gonna throw the cost/gallon number all over the place, but at least it tells something. Seems people like the graph, so I'll keep it updated for ya'll.

·
Premium Member
2000, GF4 wagon, BRP
10,383 Posts
HondaH8er said:
Don't worry, we'll be catching up to you pretty soon, I'm afraid:( The rising cost is gonna throw the cost/gallon number all over the place, but at least it tells something. Seems people like the graph, so I'll keep it updated for ya'll.
It already did mess it up.

I think I want to try some different gas stations now and octanes. I ussually get gas where I can get it the cheapest, safeway and arco stations. Maybe I'll try some 76 or chevron? I just use 87 too but maybe I'll try 89.

·
Registered
422 Posts
We need to come up with a plan as a nation to make these huge gas company's not be able to bend us over whenever they want.

Maybe we should all not buy from the the biggest gas company chains and force them to lower there prices and all gas stations would have to follow to be competitive:confused: Think about it this may really work.

·
Premium Member
2000, GF4 wagon, BRP
10,383 Posts
We need to start an internet revolution! Spread the word! Pick a date to boycot gas stations or whatever.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ben... , definitely experiment with different brands. I used to gas up at Getty which was right down the street from me and was the cheapest place to get gas but then I moved onto Exxon gas and I stayed with 87. I didn't think much and I went on like this for a few months and then one day I gased up at Getty again and holy crap!!! I can actually feel the difference between brands. Exxon gas is sooo much better and my suby runs like a charm on it and maybe this is in my head by i could feel slight power loss with the Getty gas which I now know is crap. Ofcourse, things like different days and all that may account for some of this but I tell ya, it definitely is worth getting better brand for a couple of cents more.

·
Premium Member
91 Honda Accord LX
824 Posts
now i know that i was complaining earlier....it's just fun. but let's put these "outrageous" gas prices into perspective.

ONE GALLON of gasoline = approx. $2
------------------------------------------------------------------

ONE BOTTLE of water = approx. $1
--------------------------

ancient, refined, depleting fossil fuel for cheaper than what 2/3 of our world is made of???? WTF?
and we do have pretty much the cheapest gas in the world, even in US dollars.

still, pissing in the tank would be the most ideal solution. ;)

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP GM6
813 Posts
thing is, most people don't buy bottles of water 15 gallons at a time.

But, to make it worse, there's a bottle of perfume, (forgot which one, my wife knows) that's $1600 a gallon. $12.50 an ounce. People buy this stuff without complaining, and then scream about gas prices.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Yea. so I am done being right..like i broke down and put 89 octane in my ank today...ahhhhh, but 92 is like 2.50! so i had to break, my wife made me!HAHA, So far I havent seen any difference, but I put it in like 1 hour ago. So ill let you know.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well... Im not sure on the conversion of Gallons to litres...
but the 98 octane Shell fuel I use is generally
95-96 cents per Litre... (although atm is more like $1) in Australian Dollars of course...
Which although people say thats expensive...
In the world scheme I'd bet it wouldn't be far off the cheapest.

·
Registered
2010 Impreza 2.5i 5-door, 5-sp
2,124 Posts
Feik said:
Well... Im not sure on the conversion of Gallons to litres...
but the 98 octane Shell fuel I use is generally
95-96 cents per Litre... (although atm is more like $1) in Australian Dollars of course...
Which although people say thats expensive...
In the world scheme I'd bet it wouldn't be far off the cheapest.
That's better than what I pay out here in Southern California.

According to this site (http://www.books-maps.com/AU/converter.html),
$1 (US) = $1.92 (AU)

1 gallon (US) = about 3.79 liters.
So you pay $3.79 (AU) for 1 gallon (US) of gas.
$3.79 (AU) = about $1.98 (US)
I pay about $2.10 - $2.20 for 87 octane while people in Australia get away with $1.98 for 98 octane! Damn...

I guess Australia has better gas prices than California!

(Unless my numbers are wrong, which the very well could be, in which case, please disregard everything I just wrote and pretend I never posted any of this).
:)

41 - 60 of 195 Posts