Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

what kinda diff did the MY00 come with again?

2K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  RS25.com 
#1 ·
I forgot. :( Hahaha..

#5 ·
Center is not LSD, the manuals have an open center diff, and the automatics have a computer controlled variable lock-up center diff. Very fancy thing that works based on each wheels speed, car speed, engine RPM, etc. So the manual transmissions' center diff is just "dumb" by comparison. :lol:

Both have LSD rears, and open front diffs. Quaiffe makes a LSD front diff for the manual transmissions but not the automatic.

And of course I want one, but have an automatic... :(

G
#6 ·
Boo. Hiss. Bad James.

The center on a 5mt is a limited slip.

from www.subaru.com:

In vehicles with the 5-speed manual transmission, the All-Wheel Drive uses a viscous coupling in a center differential inside the transaxle case. The viscous coupling contains a series of opposing discs attached to the front and rear output shafts, surrounded by a silicone fluid. In normal operation, power is distributed equally between the front and rear wheels (50/50 power split). Slippage at the front or rear wheels causes a rotational difference between the front and rear discs in the viscous unit, which then shears the fluid.

The shearing action heats the fluid, causing it to thicken. As the fluid thickens, power transfers from the slipping wheels to the wheels with the best traction. When the slippage ceases, all the discs turn at the same speed, restoring the 50/50 power split. The process is quick and imperceptible to the driver and passengers.

The continuous All-Wheel Driving System is simple, compact, and virtually invisible during operation. Its traction adds a significant margin of safety on slippery or unpaved roads, and enhances dry-road handling.

#10 ·
OK...for the 98-02 RS

All have open front diffs.

All 5MT models have viscous center diffs. (50/50 torque split)
All 4EAT models have computer-controlled clutch-type center diffs. (90/10 torque split)

98-99 models have open rear diffs.
00-01 models have viscous rear diffs.

I believe the 02 RS is back to an open diff in the rear (where the WRX has the viscous rear diff).

G
#12 ·
Warp3 said:
OK...for the 98-02 RS

All have open front diffs.

All 5MT models have viscous center diffs. (50/50 torque split)
All 4EAT models have computer-controlled clutch-type center diffs. (90/10 torque split)

98-99 models have open rear diffs.
00-01 models have viscous rear diffs.

I believe the 02 RS is back to an open diff in the rear (where the WRX has the viscous rear diff).
And the WRX 4eat is different too. It has the VTD system

Variable Torque Distribution (VTD) All-Wheel Drive uses an electronically controlled hydraulic transfer clutch that works with a planetary gear type center differential to control power distribution between the front and rear wheels. Under normal driving conditions, the VTD system splits power 45% front and 55% rear to deliver more of a "performance"driving feel. The VTD All-Wheel Drive system responds to wheel slippage by sending the power to the wheel or wheels with the best traction.

PS - Way to go James! :D

#14 ·
RS25.com said:

People are always afraid of what they don't understand! (And you should be, come race me the 17th at the SCCA event, and then we'll see who is laughing... ;) )

:p :p :p
pay for me and my vehicle to get there and your on. (remember i live far away)

if that was in case the fact i'd be buying a new set of race tires...or stopping in st.louis and borrowing the one's i just sold.

and i understand more than ya think..i just prefer to shift my car...i drove more than enough auto's in my time.

#20 ·
RS25.com said:

Why is that? The manual and the automatic had identical times (0-60) I thought. At least for the MY00 they did.

Anyway, I get 1mpg better mileage in town than the sticks, so there! :p
automatic rs 1/4 mile time 16.7
manual rs 1/4 mile time 15.7 (identical or similar mods) ask faraz.

wow...1mpg that sure saves alot of cash...but hey my left leg is stronger than yours cuz i push the pedal.

shawn...you wish...go away flat spot boy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.