Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after scanning through my new Grassroots Motorsports and reading through the Solo II national results, I have realized what it is going to take for me to make my car competitive on a national level.

Looking at the times, the winning car in SM was almost exactly 4 seconds better than the winning STS time. So, I need to start beating pleiades by around 4 seconds. LOL. Ok, maybe once the blower is actually in the car, and I run on good R compounds with proper alignment, which I never accomplished last year, I could start getting close to that if I practice my ass off. :boxer:

Another fairly local measurement that I have to go by is Rob Falkner; who finished third in Super Stock (SS). He was one tenth of a second ahead of the national winner in SMod, so now all I have to do is run competitive times against Rob Falkner. Damn. :(

So everyone here needs to call Dale Teague and tell him to let me have the Tein HA's he is thinking of either selling to me or keeping to put on his project car.
Perhaps a good set of Hoosiers would help too!!!

:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well I will never be competitive on a national level since I can't even beat Steven. Well I had you at the last on I did but you decided to un the Luxo barge and beat me.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you had me.
Alignment settings for the autocross in question.
Warning: Do NOT try these settings

Postive camber on left front
Negative camber on right front
1/2 inch total toe in at front (not equal on each side)

Negative camber on left rear
positive camber on right rear
1/2 inch total toe in at rear

Funny how a piss poor alignment makes things go really bad at an Auto-X.

Next autocross
Had a full blown computerized alignment.
Turned the forth fastest Automobile time of the day.
Was the fastest Subaru, in a good dogfight with pleiades, Scooby South right behind, and the rest a few seconds back.

Of the three cars ahead of me were
An M3
and two national capable Hondas. A CSP CRX si, and a D-Prepared Civic Si.

I feel pretty happy with those results, and I was running on cheap ass Slovenian made Tires (I am serious) because I corded my last set of slicks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah i remeber you were saying your alignment was bad but thats just plain awful. I think I'm just going to go ahead and make appointments at the local firestone were I get my alignment done for the Friday before the autocross. But its a pain in the ass sometimes when they don't get it done right. I'm worried about getting slicks cause I will most likly end up burning them up or cording them.

·
Registered
'02 GG (Grocery Getter)
41 Posts
Good R Tires (Think Hoosier if you can make them fit) will give you about 1 - 1.5 seconds over the Falken Azenis tires.

About 2 seconds over any other tire you drive on.

So there's a little time right there. ;)

--kC

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, If I can afford it I would like to start the season on Hoosier or Kumho Ecsta V700 205/45-16. That will lower my gear ratio some, and give me craploads of grip.

By the way, I have been told that to make Hoosiers perform at their best you need 6 degrees of castor. I should be able to get that once I get those adjustable plates manufactured.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I think you'll need to lighten the car as much as you can, alter the ECU so you can rev higher and avoid shifting (and adjust cam timing to suit). and get as much tire as you can under the car. I don't know where you heard that Hoosiers like 6* of castor, but that's news to me(after quite a bit of reading/talking/etc...). I think if you put much more castor into the car, you'll be fighting the wheel coming out of the corners. Not a very safe or efficient way to get around a course. Turn-in will probably be pretty good though. The big Supras get mighty fast at the end of the straits, but exiting tight corners they are still lagging a bit. The fast Hondas are revving to the moon and staying in second for the most part. The Bimmers are pretty impressive with the torque and rev-ability, but are piggly (like the supras). The Audis are few and far between, but seem to have a good package available in the S4. Not many folks are ready to hack one up for all out autocrossing though. The one that did...won. DSM's? well, the 'real fast' ones are usually broken, or limping. The ones that are running a bit more conservative can be very tough given the size tires they can fit and the weight. The domestic RWD's suffer traction issues and subsequent power usability(and weight). My 96 L is about 300lbs lighter (than an RS) from the get go. Sure the interior is spartan, but that's one way to go if you really want to stretch the limits. Take out the carpet and get rid of all the sound deadening, if the carpet is rubber backed, consider changing to a cheaper and lighter type. Same with the power accessories, AC (if desired), bumpers (obviously go with the lighter ones). You can put fiberglass fenders, hood and trunk on but the rear quarter has to be stock (unless the rules have changed again). I hope this helps some.

....donning the nomex (I fear).....

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a list of the stuff I want to be able to do to the car before I go to compete in nationals.

1. Lightening and weight distribution: carbon fiber hood, lightened front bumper beam (not rear because I want to get as close to 50/50 weight ratio as I can) move battery to rear.

2. Tune and build engine to be put out and be able to handle reliably at least 275 hp to all four wheels. (Upgrade boost on supercharger, forged low compression pistons, full header back exhaust, complete engine management system)

3. Reinforce chassis (seam wield full chassis and foam fill certain areas of flex)

4. Upgrade suspension to a top end height and damping adjustable coil over (Tein, DMS, Ohlins, Bilstein etc are possibilities)

5. New Tranny (see number 2 for reason) with possibly custom gear ratios.

6. A large assortment of various products for improving braking while still being able to fit under 16 inch rims.

7. Another variety of miscellanious bits for steering and response.

8. R compounds.

It may be 03 before I am ready to go, but I am determined to show that the RS can be competitive in SMod with a supercharger. I know it can, now I just have to prove it to the rest of the world.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. One thing you can't do is seam weld. It's explicitly forbidden for SM. I do like the ideas about upgrading the s/c to increase boost, but is it possible to go very far? The pulley looked so small to begin with. If you can get 275 to the ground reliably, and dial in the coilovers/rest of the suspension to get you around the corners quickly...you'd be pretty competitive. Inevitably, most forced induction guys get greedy with the boost and end up breaking gears, axles, tranny cases, etc...Shit, simple blown hoses kill runs and trying to rig up quick fixes usually end up costing a victory. Keep everything reliable and let the other guys break. Know that some of the top dogs nationally are spending big bucks PER corner to find optimum handling. Time and experimentation will be the key in fine tuning the beast. Colin L from the other club is probably more qualified to give you ideas on being competitive in SM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts