Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have this redish brown fluid thats dripping under the car directly under the battery. It's not an oily substance. It's not coming from the battery. I've also noticed that the coolant reservoir has been emptying out every 3 months. There was a pressure test done a while ago on the coolant system and it passed. The coolant is green so I would assume that would not be it. I notice this fluid dripping more after driving through a rain storm. Could this some kinda rust developing underneath the hood? Anyone else experience this redish brown fluid? Should I bring it into the garage for a check up?

Thanks,
Jeff

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The power steering reservoir is still full. The leak is not very consistant. When I see it after the car has be sitting around for a few hours, I see a dried up redish brown stain on the ground. It doesn't look like an oil stain.

· JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
3,543 Posts
no, your coolant will stay green. Is your car auto or manual? If it is auto it sounds like trans fluid to me.

Or like other people said it could be power steering fluid.

· Registered
'99 OBS
122 Posts
If it's drying up and forming a crust when it's gone, it's not going to be any of the car's lubrication fluids. Sounds like you might have some rust/scale present in some water somewhere. Maybe it's internal, maybe not.
It sounds a lot like when older car's radiators were dying - you'd get rust and scale in the system. Doesn't usually happen with the new systems though. Have you checked your coolant? If you or someone else changed over to the orange stuff (can't remember who makes it - Havoline maybe? this could explain it.)
Otherwise, I'd check it out after one of the rainstorms and see if you can trace it down - Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.