Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven’t been around in a while, I miss how great this place used to be, I would visit several times a day most days. I started to lose interest in my car when this place took a turn.

I haven’t given up or decided to sell yet. I came back trying to re-motivate myself to continue with the car, but I remembered I can’t navigate the website or even figure out how to message some.

stalkergc if you read this I’m interested in your factory sub for sale. Maybe you can contact me so we can make an exchange.

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,901 Posts
I think a lot of people did the same thing as you: moved on. I admit I did as well, basically until COVID hit then I got focused on car projects again.

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS
537 Posts
The cars are getting harder to find and more expensive.
The parts are getting harder to find and more expensive.
A lot of the old enthusiasts from 10-20 years ago are now older and have families and/or need a newer, more reliable vehicle.
Many younger enthusiasts prefer newer, more technologicallt advanced models (the same way 70s cars don't speak to me like the 90s do.)

People who have owned these cars for a while have basically finished projects and/or have no need to come here for as much information/socializing.

These are all generalizations but you get the idea. When I was 18 I was into 82-86 Chrysler/Dodge turbo cars but those forums are all way dead now.

Send me a DM once you hit 10 posts, the sub isnt going anywhere. Honestly nobody's interested in any of that stuff so it's all just sitting in a box in my office.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am new to the forum, but I've been a long time Subaru owner. In that short time, I've found a ton of useful info to help me work through a RS2.5 build. Many of the threads I have found are 10 plus years old, but tons of great info!

·
Registered
1999 2.5rs automatic
33 Posts
The cars are getting harder to find and more expensive.
The parts are getting harder to find and more expensive.
A lot of the old enthusiasts from 10-20 years ago are now older and have families and/or need a newer, more reliable vehicle.
Many younger enthusiasts prefer newer, more technologicallt advanced models (the same way 70s cars don't speak to me like the 90s do.)

People who have owned these cars for a while have basically finished projects and/or have no need to come here for as much information/socializing.

These are all generalizations but you get the idea. When I was 18 I was into 82-86 Chrysler/Dodge turbo cars but those forums are all way dead now.

Send me a DM once you hit 10 posts, the sub isnt going anywhere. Honestly nobody's interested in any of that stuff so it's all just sitting in a box in my office.
I hear ya, I've got an 87 Chrysler conquest and cant find any good active forums to deal with it

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS, 1997 Impreza L, 2010 Legacy, 2022 Outback
35 Posts
I think forums in general are dying. Its generational, just like newspapers & magazines. New enthusiasts are on tick tock and instagram. And like someone else said we got older and started having families and such.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
577 Posts
It seems a lot of people who have been absent then return to forums have the same complaints or observations...forum is no good, forum navigation sucks, people switching to facebook, etc. The reasons are numerous. I became a member in 2015 while searching for my RS. I get that people don't like the new architecture. I have limited experience with the original structure vs the new...I'm not a fan of the recent changes either and the ads drive me batshit crazy. However, and this just my opinion, the forum, despite it's deficiencies, is what we make of it as a community. I came here to be inspired by other peoples' work, builds, and to find answers to my own questions regarding my build. I've found that here and haven't yet experienced the sophomoric stupidity of other forums like NASIOC. I try and be as helpful, insightful, and supportive of other members' questions, concerns and projects as I can. It also seems like most, if not all the members that I have communication with through posts and DMs share this outlook. I've learned a lot and continue to learn about my car through this forum. It may sound cheesy, but like I said, all we have is what we make of it as community.

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,982 Posts
It seems a lot of people who have been absent then return to forums have the same complaints or observations...forum is no good, forum navigation sucks, people switching to facebook, etc. The reasons are numerous. I became a member in 2015 while searching for my RS. I get that people don't like the new architecture. I have limited experience with the original structure vs the new...I'm not a fan of the recent changes either and the ads drive me batshit crazy. However, and this just my opinion, the forum, despite it's deficiencies, is what we make of it as a community. I came here to be inspired by other peoples' work, builds, and to find answers to my own questions regarding my build. I've found that here and haven't yet experienced the sophomoric stupidity of other forums like NASIOC. I try and be as helpful, insightful, and supportive of other members' questions, concerns and projects as I can. It also seems like most, if not all the members that I have communication with through posts and DMs share this outlook. I've learned a lot and continue to learn about my car through this forum. It may sound cheesy, but like I said, all we have is what we make of it as community.
As much as I don't like the new navigation. Facebook is just stupid. No search, way too much trolling, most posters expect to be spoon fed information.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been a lurker on this site since 2014.
This site was interesting until verticalscope got their hands on it.
They've been buying up a lot of forums, really sucks.
People just don't like forums anymore and I can understand, FB groups you can usually post and get someone to answer.
Forums are where most of the info actually is.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
There's not near as much ad revenue here on forums vs facebook and other such social media platforms. that's why things such as this forum, and many others, are dying.

this site sucks, plain and simple, sucks sucks real bad. the design is poor and they don't care to fix it. we were better off with the previous forum software.

that being said, please for the love of god use ad blocking software here and anywhere else that ...fuck... who owns this? flat looking glass or some shit? 🤮. I know that seems completely backwards, but it's what they deserve for turning these forums in to flaming dumpster piles. if the site was good, i would have no reason to deny them the revenue.

·
Premium Member
2015 WRX STI WRB
8,417 Posts
the honest answer is that there are plenty of newer funner faster and more reliable cars out there than these things. i'll always be a fan of them and i had fun building my car, but i'd just rather spend my money on something else now.
so there's no need for me to come back here as often.

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
212 Posts
I think Silverton hit it on the head. The corporation conglomerate that's buying forums left and right is intentionally making them worse in order to "create a problem, sell a solution" (insert tin foil hat). However, if you use ad block software, it's not that bad, and the information on forums is (as of now) still the best avenue to useful and applicable information afaik...

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
650 Posts
I've been done with my build but "just getting ready for paint" for like 6 years. With CA continuing to change its SMOG laws, I'm stuck always adjusting to keep my BAR swap legal and headache free.

I wonder how many others are in a similar spot. Work picked up, life picked up, I have more hobbies, and I have multiple cars and more work flexibility, but the limited time I get to spend dedicated to this car goes into maintenance and modifications instead of driving. This also means I spend far less time on this forum.

That new GR Corolla looks pretty slick. I imagine those looking for a car to modify and a sense of community would do well with that one especially given the EU spec models of the Yaris and possible interchangeability.

I've got no social media presence whatsoever. This, co-workers/randos, and a couple car friends are the only place I get to share my work and talk about cars. The fact that forums like this are failing sucks. MR2OC (SW20 forum) is also super light on membership/active posters, for similar reasons.

Always use ad blockers, for everything. The internet is hot trash without them.
-TC

·
Registered
58 Posts
1. I've been done with my build but "just getting ready for paint" for like 6 years.

2. I wonder how many others are in a similar spot. Work picked up, life picked up, I have more hobbies, and I have multiple cars and more work flexibility, but the limited time I get to spend dedicated to this car goes into maintenance and modifications instead of driving. This also means I spend far less time on this forum.

3. That new GR Corolla looks pretty slick. I imagine those looking for a car to modify and a sense of community would do well with that one especially given the EU spec models of the Yaris and possible interchangeability.

4. I've got no social media presence whatsoever. This, co-workers/randos, and a couple car friends are the only place I get to share my work and talk about cars. The fact that forums like this are failing sucks. MR2OC (SW20 forum) is also super light on membership/active posters, for similar reasons.

5. Always use ad blockers, for everything. The internet is hot trash without them.
-TC
1. Same here. My project 240sx is basically where I want it, in regards to restoration, suspension components, engine power, and exterior parts.
I stripped that car and got it ready for some bodywork and paint because at that time, vehicle wraps were becoming popular. I removed the windows and got it ready to start bodywork so I would not be tempted to have someone wrap it and call it good. It's been in that state for so long, it's depressing.

2. There are a lot. I'm one of them. I graduated, got a full time job, got a girlfriend, and started being more social instead of being the antisocial grease monkey. I'm up to 5 project vehicles, plus maintaining everyone elses cars. So I'm just doing essentially the bare minimum to keep things running and road legal, the mod life has taken a back burner. I anticipate it'll get way harder when we actually purchase a house. $400,000 used to buy you a McMansion in my area 2 years ago. Now it buys you "an opportunity to put in some sweat equity" with 3 beds, 1 bath on a 7,000 square foot lot. I'll go down as the guy who owns a junkyard instead of the guy who quits and sells his shit only to turn around and whine on social media like " I miss this car".

I need a support group

3. Gr corolla is indeed sick. Most people won't be able to buy one. There's a lot of shit regarding allocations and what not, as well as Toyota not really planning on making too many. You won't see too many on the roads, atleast not initially. GT86/BRZ lookin fire though!

4. I've got the accounts but I haven't posted anything about my cars or my life at all. My girlfriend tags me in shit.
Most of my car friends are people I see like once a year anymore. We meet up at like a cars & coffee or SCCA event or something. They're all out there doing shit and it makes me jealous. I have my hand in many cookie jars and I see the tradeoff. I should probably go back to sleeping 4 hours a night to actually get anything done. I was on Zilvia.net and that site went down for a solid 6 months. It was depressing. Good Lord do I hate FB groups. It's good to find some parts for sale every now and then but it's a shitshow.

5. Teach me Senpai. What ad blockers do you use? I can barely get my computer started anymore ( frequent visitor of that hub website or whatever)

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
212 Posts
5. Teach me Senpai. What ad blockers do you use? I can barely get my computer started anymore ( frequent visitor of that hub website or whatever)
[/QUOTE]

Adblock Plus for google chrome my dude. Free, but you can pay if you think it's worth it (it is) lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts