Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kinda exhuast systems are you guys using with your turbo'd RS's? i know the diameters should be 2.5 or 3 but i dont know whats the best one to get. im lookin for somethin not too loud and looks kinda stock, dual tip.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'd be really interested in that. i never heard of stromung making a 3'' dual tip.. would they have it in 2.5''? i have a stromung right now and i like it. id rather have something stealthier but i really like how it looks and sounds. i would get a stealthback but it looks so weak and it doesnt fit the GC8 anyways.

kastle, where'd you get your 3'' stromung dual tip?

·
Premium Member
1999 OBS Steel Blue Mica
256 Posts
Stromung can custom make anything, if you have the time and money... :D

I had them make myself and AaronB custom 2.5" piped dual tip mufflers last year, and this year when I upgraded to the new setup, I called them up (always talk with Scott) and told him what I wanted.... I basically got a WRX SS muffler, custom pipe from the axle back in 3", painted flat black like the mild steel one, with the hangers in the RS location.

I like it, it just seems to fit so perfectly. I've had 3 Stromung mufflers, never once have I had a problem with them... I know others have and really don't like Scott.....

AFAIK, I'm the only person with a 3" Stromung.....

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how much did that cost ya? also, is the stromung website down right now? tried it but nothing came up. 2.25'' is the largest diameter they have right? for the dual tip that is.

·
Premium Member
1999 OBS Steel Blue Mica
256 Posts
It was something like $475. Standard for the RS is 2.25". Mine is custom and requires a phonecall to Scott. Yes, it does look like their website is down...

The phone # I have for them is (714) 596-2237

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
I'm just going to go with 2.5" piping with a high-fow cat from the turbo back, and just live with my 2.25" Stomung for the time being. Once it finishes rusting, I'll replace it with something else 2.5", but until then, I think the 2.25" shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hondah8er - are you going to be using the new random tech cat? i heard the old one throws a lot of CELs and new ones dont. then again new ones are 400+. what are some good 2.5'' exhausts? i like the dual tip look if its worth anything.

·
13 Years of RS
5,532 Posts
I'm not sure which cat I'm going to use yet. I was looking in a Summit cataloge, and they have a Catco one tha is supposed to flow good, and is emmisions legal, and it's only $60. I might just go with that one, and see what happens. But I'm going to look into the Random Tec one, too, and see what I can find out. I'm also ging to ask some people who have done cat upgrades and see what they used. I think Chad (subachad) used the Catco one from Summit, and I don't thnk he's thrown any CEL's, but, then again, his car has a turbo'd 1.8L, and I don't know how much of a difference that makes. Fot the muffler. you could always get a Borla or Flowmaster low-tone unit, and get a dul tip put on it, but that's not quite the same. I'm going to poke around on www.summitracing.com , and see what else I can find.

·
Registered
No Subie to see here, carry on
109 Posts
Actually the Catco in a 2.5" without the air tube is $99 from Summitracing.com. Right now, I'm running a 2.25" CAT that went on when I initially turbo'd the car in 99. I'll soon be upgrading the the Catco 2.5" and a dynomax 2.5" turbo muffler. I would rather have a Borla muffler, but the dynomax is only $32 through summit right now and I like the sound.

As for CEL, it's a 93 so I don't have the second o2 sensor which is primarily there to check the first o2 sensor. If you do get a MIL, you might be able to run one of the mil eliminators from www.mileleminators.com. I haven't tried it yet, but I imagine it would work.

Chad
93 1.8T

·
13 Years of RS
5,532 Posts
http://www.mileliminators.com./

There, that one should work!:D

(Chad, you spelled eliminator as eleminator, so your link didn't work. Don't worry, though, I got your back, and I'll see you Thursday to get that downpipe.)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
subachad - did you say 32 dollars for the turbo exhaust? did i see that correctly?

also, im going to go turbo soon as well. maybe, if i can finish up piecing all the parts together. i was wondering, if i get a 2.5'' exhaust now, would it be bad for the car, it being N/A and all?

·
13 Years of RS
5,532 Posts
imprezey said:
subachad - did you say 32 dollars for the turbo exhaust? did i see that correctly?

also, im going to go turbo soon as well. maybe, if i can finish up piecing all the parts together. i was wondering, if i get a 2.5'' exhaust now, would it be bad for the car, it being N/A and all?
Unfortunately, you did see that incorrectly. That was the price for the muffler only, not the whole exhaust. And going to a 2.5" setup right now shouldn't hurt the car. You might loose a little bottom-end (probably not enough to notice, though), but that's about all. But you will probably have to get at least part of it done again after the turbo, since the uppipe will be bolted to the header, and the midpipe will be bolted to the downpipe, so a midpipe that bolts to the header right now won't work later. Something to think about. Oh, and here's some links for ya:

http://www.summitracing.com

All Mufflers:
http://store.summitracing.com/section.asp?d=8&s=165

Dynomax Turbo Mufflers:
http://store.summitracing.com/product.asp?d=8&s=165&p=1925&searchtype=ecat

http://store.summitracing.com/product.asp?d=8&s=165&p=490&searchtype=ecat

Just because you don't have a Chevy or Ford V8 doesn't mean you can't shop at Summit! Free shipping too:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts