Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 2.5 RS and I am ordering, from LudeSpeed , the stage 2 turbo kit :drool: . At LudeSpeed it is stated that an after market clutch and exhaust is needed for the turbo to perform as expected. My friend also replied to me that I wouldn't be impressed with the turbo's performance unless I installed a performance flywheel also (he suggested the JUN flywheel, very expensive).

What exhaust and clutch should I get for my 2.5 RS with the stage 2 turbo kit? Also, is a performance flywheel actaully needed for this turbo to perform well?

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well is depends on the person. I know of people who have installe turbo kits w/out a larger exhaust and have gotten some tremendous times both 0-60 and 1/4 mile. Although, expect a good clutch and flywheel to drop at LEASt .4-.5 seconds off both tests.

A good exhaust is the owners preference. I am using a WRX OEM turbo-back exhaust on my RS, running 4 psi, and it works great. After reading through some stuff, I concluded that a 2.25" exhaust is good enough for up to around 280 HP, then it starts becoming inefficient. So, anything from the GReddy Evo, to the Stromung, to the Brullen 3" (subaruplanet.com) catback will suffice.

As far as a clutch, I run the ACT Street clutch, which is rated at 302 lb. ft. of torque. This clutch has a noticibly different engagement and feel (harder pedal feel, less slip), but I have come to like it over the last eight months. Some use the Clutchmasters Stage III, though it has been said to wear out pretty quick (just over 5000 miles!).

In the end, in lies in the hands and preferences of the person whose laying down the money.

Ludespeed Stage II??? Ahh, go with the custom kit, you'll learn more!........;)

Graham

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza RS
586 Posts
A strong transmission would probably be a good idea as well, seeing as many RS-T folk chew up their gears from lots of power.

Nick C.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't want to get everything seperate because it would be too expensive. The LudeSpeed Turbo kit just seems like its the way to go.

Please tell me some product or web sites that have good aftermarket clutch and exhaust for a turbo 2.5 rs. It needs to be very cheap but good.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well, depending on how much boost you run, you may be able to run the stock clutch for a little while. If you run 3 psi and under, you will probably be O.K. for some time, just take it easy on the launches.

You might want to check out Teaguesauto.com or subaruparts.com. Both of these places sell ACT clutches, a little under $400, then add another $200 for the install.

Graham

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would it be possible for someone to install the clutch themselves? What kind of difficulty or time commitment would we be looking at to do so?

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs-T
391 Posts
You can go the way I did it. I ran the stock clutch till it broke. Then went with an ACT stage 3 clutch. My gears are ok nothing wrong with it since I never slam shift(common problem with wrx owner).
Its funny people always seem to mention the the 25 tranny is weak and will break, what I think is that its not made for turbo application meaning that the gearing needs to be more spread out. For instance a wrx will redline 2nd at around 65-70 I redline at around 60-65. This in my opinion is lame and one thing I do not like about my car. If your carefully and no clutch dumps or slam shiffting and keep the power under 280 hp I think the tranny will hold. Your clutch won't espescially when the boost hits. My clutch gave out when I took it to the track. If you ask me its just wear and tear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts