Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004, Subaru Impreza RS, Black
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! The a/c belt broke and shredded on my Forester '01 and somehow caught on one of the timing belt pully's and I guess knocked the timing off. Can I save my engine by replacing the valves and gasket? Or what Subaru engine will fit if I need to grab a used engine?

One mechanic believes he can fix it. Another says the engine is junk since the timing was jumped while driving it.

Car only has 130k and was running perfect before that. I really want to save it the cheapest way possible. such a shame because I just replaced timing belt two years ago.

Any advice would be a huge help. Need help on what kind of Subaru engines will fit in my forester.

In the meantime I am driving my son's '04 Impreza RS which I love and is why I am in this forum!

Marina
Plymouth, MA

·
Registered
99RS 207 V9 AW
1,285 Posts
Short block is fine, pistons probably bent head valves. Send heads to machine shop to check and rebuild with new valves, replace head gaskets, seals, tb, water pump, and all idlers. No need to buy another engine. 00-04 Forrester uses EJ251. All these models below share same 251 engine.

Impreza 2.5RS, 2.5TS 98-04 (US)
Impreza Outback Sport 02-04 (US)
Forester 00-04 (US)
Legacy 00-04 (US)
Outback 00-04 (US)
Baja 03-05 (US)

·
Registered
2ooo RS coupe
36 Posts
it is best that you have it replaced with the same year and model. but the previous year and after will do just fine. just make sure that the you dont get an EGR equipped engine. (or vise versa) impreza, and legacy engines share the same basic block with just the airbox slightly different. when replacing your engine, retain your ps pump and ac compressor because changes are it may not be the same on the replacement engine. automatic or mt wont really matter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts