Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
EZ GF w/Curves!
97'OBS/94'SVX LSi/00'OBS/01&#8
8,809 Posts
:bonk:

And that's why it's better to distribute power across 6 instead of 4.
:rotflmao:

·
Registered
01 Forester
5,169 Posts
I am looking to buy a subie - however I am having difficulty determining which engine is in the cars besides just believing the seller.

A lot of these cars on the market have been swapped - is there some way I can fairly quickly identify which engine is in the car? Measurements of some sort? An serial #?

Thanks.
It would help if you told us the year and model of the car you are looking at. Maybe a link to an ad if there is one online?

·
EZ GF w/Curves!
97'OBS/94'SVX LSi/00'OBS/01&#8
8,809 Posts
I think what he's after is being able to look at and visually confirm the motor is what the seller says it is. i.e. Making sure a car listed as swapped with a WRX 2.5 isn't like a home brew NA turbo'd 2.5, or a 20K vs. 205, etc...

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
I wanna play!

Thanks TimHanson!

Wilkinru, if you can post a pic we should be able to give you a pretty good idea.

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
He sold his car to my friends little brother and then that happend right after. I messaged him about it, never said a word and now he hasnt been around... It alright, the car was ghetto rigged and needed a lot of help, so its been de-riced and on the road to recovery.

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
^ jesus! what are you guys doing to get a rod through the block!
Someone ran it out of oil before they topped it off, parked it and put it up for sale? Pretty hard to blow up a stock 1.8, and by the negligence found on the rest of the car, it would be hard to say otherwise. Hopefully thats not the case though because that would be some nasty karma to deal with. Im just glad it didnt rupture those fuel lines because it would have gone up in flames real quick.

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
^ Oh shit was it for that white wagon?

I almost bought that and tried to drive it back to AZ. Good thing i didnt.

·
Not a premium member
2002 Aspen White WRX
3,919 Posts
Someone ran it out of oil before they topped it off, parked it and put it up for sale? Pretty hard to blow up a stock 1.8, and by the negligence found on the rest of the car, it would be hard to say otherwise. Hopefully thats not the case though because that would be some nasty karma to deal with. Im just glad it didnt rupture those fuel lines because it would have gone up in flames real quick.
I suppose that'll do it too :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
^ Oh shit was it for that white wagon?

I almost bought that and tried to drive it back to AZ. Good thing i didnt.
Yep thats the one, barely made it 300 miles. Luckily he was stopped in traffic right in front of a jiffy lube, it sounded like a bomb went off and there was oil everywhere. Jiffy lube donated a bunch of clean up pads. First time I ever gotta give props to the J-lube. :lol:

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Yep thats the one, barely made it 300 miles. Luckily he was stopped in traffic right in front of a jiffy lube, it sounded like a bomb went off and there was oil everywhere. Jiffy lube donated a bunch of clean up pads. First time I ever gotta give props to the J-lube. :lol:
^ LOL they probably thought they were the reason it blew up, wait a minute it couldn't have been jiffy lube cuz there was actually oil in the engine LOL

·
Low&Slow
1965 VW Bug,2001 drz400 sumo
2,942 Posts
ive tried to blow a EJ22, without oil or coolant at WOT it took about 1 minute.

i highly doubt the 1.8 was at idle when that happened, it just doesn't have enough potential energy to do that kind of damage. not saying tim was or wasn't in the right/wrong but im just saying, idle in traffic sounds a little funny.

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
I guess I could get J-lube to vouch, but if you don't believe me you certainly wouldn't believe them, or at least you shouldn't. :lol: Once a rod is weakend it's a ticking time bomb no matter what your dealing with. It's sucks, but it's only a 1.8, and he wants to learn how to do a swap, nows the best time.

·
Low&Slow
1965 VW Bug,2001 drz400 sumo
2,942 Posts
Once a rod is weakend it's a ticking time bomb no matter what your dealing with.
very true but ive never seen such a extreme case unless it was under a large load. ive blown my fare share of engines and it just sounds fishy but i guess anything is possible

·
Registered
99 RS 2.5 Blue, 95 L
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So thanks all. With all of the nasty pictures, I was able to identify the engine and purchased the car :)

21 - 40 of 43 Posts