Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
Miatamiatamiata
5,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my upper radiator hose exploded today, when i bought the car, the original was ballooned. a few days before the hose blew my radiator overflow resivoir overflowed, but when i opened it, it was almost empty.

my dad thinks it's a sign of a bad head gasket or cracked head with a crack between two valves across the seat.

fluid was still green.

what do you guys think?

· Registered
17,115 Posts
These aren't typical signs of a blown headgasket. Start with the simple things first.

Did you check the thermostat? Make sure it's an OEM thermostat and replace it if necessary. Are your fans turning on? Does the temperature gauge go all the way to "H"? Do you smell anything burning? Is there white smoke coming from anywhere? Is there any coolant underneath the car, leaking?

· Registered
Miatamiatamiata
5,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the temp gauge alerted me that something was wrong, i saw that it was higher than usual, about 3/4 of the way up.

where's the thermostat?

the fans sometimes come on at idle.

coolant doesn't normally leak, and i don't see white smoke.

i didn't smell anything burning until the hose exploded coolant all over the place.

· Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
3,696 Posts
have you tried flushing your coolant system?? i wonder if your radiator or a coolant passage is partially clogged...which could prevent flow causing the coolant to heat up and blow hoses...

nonetheless, a coolant flush is a simple and easy check

· JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
3,543 Posts
Sometimes the heat gauge would be all the way up and I would floor it and it would go back down to normal temp instantly
that is usually form a hot air bubble in the syslem reaching the temp sensor. That could be a blown HG, or just air in your system. Pull your oil dipstick and hope that it isn't milky colored!

also, pull out your thermostat, boil some water and put the thermostat into the boiling water... if it opens instantly, then you have a different problem. If it dosent open then go buy an oem thermostat. Be sure to test the new one before you put it in! I've had a brand new one not work before!!!!!!!

· Registered
500 Posts
that is usually form a hot air bubble in the syslem reaching the temp sensor. That could be a blown HG, or just air in your system. Pull your oil dipstick and hope that it isn't milky colored!

also, pull out your thermostat, boil some water and put the thermostat into the boiling water... if it opens instantly, then you have a different problem. If it dosent open then go buy an oem thermostat. Be sure to test the new one before you put it in! I've had a brand new one not work before!!!!!!!
seen that at the dealer too.....

· Registered
RWD 99 Impreza OBS
4,457 Posts
Pull your oil dipstick and hope that it isn't milky colored!
The oil looks fine, there is a bunch of gunk in the coolant resivor tho. It looks and smells like oil. I'm almost thinking that the lady that had it before me poured some oil into the coolant (usually I wouldnt think that but my sister dumped coolant into the oil on her car so really its not impossible.)

I am going to do a coolant system flush this week and see what happens....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.