Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2007, impreza 2.5I, silver
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting a dry NOS system in my car but i dunno anything about it....obviously im not going to put something in my car that i have no idea about so can anyone fill me in?

· Registered
2007, impreza 2.5I, silver
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well thats what i thought...i thought it was safer than the wet kit....nevermind...im not going to mess with that. Im just gonna pick up some Cobb springs.

· Premium Member
2007 FXT Sport
5,103 Posts
I've definitely heard one is safer, can't remember which one though... oops.

Any mod you add to your car is going to alter the expected life of the motor. With NOS that's a big power adder and you can expect effects to be bad if you misuse it.

That being said, I can only imagine what even a little 50 shot would make it feel like... that's like a 40% increase in HP! On a RS (with stock high compression) I wouldn't use more than 50 unless it's a race car or tuned.

· Registered
408 Posts
I've definitely heard one is safer, can't remember which one though... oops.

Any mod you add to your car is going to alter the expected life of the motor. With NOS that's a big power adder and you can expect effects to be bad if you misuse it.

That being said, I can only imagine what even a little 50 shot would make it feel like... that's like a 40% increase in HP! On a RS (with stock high compression) I wouldn't use more than 50 unless it's a race car or tuned.
Ahh yes. One thing OP needs to recognize is that once you juice it, even with a 50 shot, there's no going back. You'll want to spray all the time, it's just instinct to need that extra power.

I've done a good amount of research on nitrous for our cars. I would say the safest path for a small shot (50) is wet. It really won't wear much on your engine if you use it responsibly and expend it wisely. Just make sure you get a good kit and set it up correctly, maybe even a tune if possible.

If you're going with more than a 50 shot, then you definitely need a tune for timing retardation under spray, which means you need EM that has two separate maps- one for juice and one not for juice. There are tuning complications with that too, so stay away from a bigger shot unless you have deep pockets.

I'd say go for a small shot. Get in professionally installed unless you know exactly what you're doing. Remember, you're not dealing with a B16 that is basically bullet proof, you're dealing with an EJ. They're touchy. Just keep your whits about you when on the bottle and learn how to love driving while NOT spraying. Nitrous WILL make your car feel like a slug when you're not spraying.

Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.