Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Rally Hopeful
1997 L White - 2004 STi WRB
560 Posts
I would say search this Forum. I think others have made comments on it and about this topic.

(not trying to be rude, just trying to be helpful)

·
Registered
GF8
938 Posts
I was actually referring to autopower. I guess I was wrong though..
I still wouldn't use that thing though.. People who build roll cages have a term for bars that terminate into another without any support or gusseting, which is dead bars. this means that the cage will just fold right there if there is a collision on that point. That cage is full of them..

-Kurt

·
Registered
98' Subaru Impreza Wagon
160 Posts
Bolt on ones are good......but safer if welded (and bolted down). Autopower has better bolt-ons then Cuscocrap. I want more pics of peeps with auto power cages preferably four doors or wagons.

·
Registered
2x01 2.5RS, 97 gm4
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bolt on ones are good......but safer if welded (and bolted down). Autopower has better bolt-ons then Cuscocrap. I want more pics of peeps with auto power cages preferably four doors or wagons.
i might get a bolt on one for my 2door, just wondering how heavy it is.... i need it for harness bar mainly,

·
The Dash Flocker!
00 GF, 04 Jetta TDi
3,791 Posts
i might get a bolt on one for my 2door, just wondering how heavy it is.... i need it for harness bar mainly,
My weld-in half cage was over 85 lbs with door bars and the plates.
What exactly are you planning on doing with said cage? If you're planning on track or rally you'll need more cage than that, but for most HDPE or hillclimbs you'll probably be ok

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Love my autopower! I bought it really for the same reason, the harness bar since there really isn't anything ready made for our coupes.

Pictures can be found toward the end of my member journal.

·
Registered
2x01 2.5RS, 97 gm4
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My weld-in half cage was over 85 lbs with door bars and the plates.
What exactly are you planning on doing with said cage? If you're planning on track or rally you'll need more cage than that, but for most HDPE or hillclimbs you'll probably be ok

Honestly, it will be a more of a show off thing, the car will be for pavement type of racing. auto-x and maybe (hopefuly) some time attack type of a deal. and some aggresive weekend driving.

Love my autopower! I bought it really for the same reason, the harness bar since there really isn't anything ready made for our coupes.

Pictures can be found toward the end of my member journal.
will go look at your members journal

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
And your struts wheels and anything else is held on by what?

Ohh and your stock seat belts, seats and everything else is held in by just that. Bolts. Get over your fear!

·
2.0L Turboner
94 RWD WRX & 82 EJ Brat
8,673 Posts
And your struts wheels and anything else is held on by what?

Ohh and your stock seat belts, seats and everything else is held in by just that. Bolts. Get over your fear!
Point taken, but I still stand beside the mantra, "Anything worth doing is worth doing well." My life is more important to me than saving money on a mod.

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Point taken, but I still stand beside the mantra, "Anything worth doing is worth doing well." My life is more important to me than saving money on a mod.
And how do you propose that a bolt on cage is any different then a weld in cage.

With the proper bolts I would feel much comfortable being in car in which the cage is sandwiched to the unibody of the car compared to being just welded to the surface.

I would imagine when there is twice the surface area it would lessen the chance of the cage pulling away from the chassis of the car.

But back on topic, the autopower is a perfect option for pretty much any events most people would want to do. Nasa HPDE's and some SCCA events. The autompower also fills the nitch of having a harness bar that no one has come out with for the coupe. Chasis stiffening is a plus too!

·
Registered
2003 rs2.5 BRP
831 Posts
my buddy has one, and it is pretty rigid. He added some gussets to it I believe. Though he's a over builder. He also welded it down and kept the bolts also. So i guess that goes to show you what i'm talking about.

he got his from

http://www.safedrives.com/products.asp?cat=104

great place to work with! You should check em out.

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,086 Posts
Someone locally here was in a accident in a Honda EG hatchback with a autopower cage.

The car flipped and the cage actually helped because it didn't cave the roof in. So it can actually help... just not as much as a full welded cage.

Instead of the passenger dieing... he lived and just can't walk for the rest of his life now.

·
Registered
Two 1999 2.5 RS RBP
248 Posts
The cage has to be welded if you are doing any pro competition.
If anyone here are on a budget, the autopower cage (6pt/8pt) is good start for most competition, but for rally america you need a few bars added/welded on for its 2008 rulebook.

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
The NHRA allows bolted in cages in certain time classes quicker than 11.5 seconds as long as the tube material, thickness, & proper mounting plates/hardware are used.

Safety21 makes VERY nice bolt-in cages but they are a Japanese company.

·
Registered
'93 L wagon, '04 FXTi
1,682 Posts
Bumping an old thread because I'm looking into harness bars and half-cages.

Tim, I totally understand your basic philosophical point, but reality is that bolt-in harness bars and cages can definitely be engineered to meet the strength requirements put forth by sanctioning bodies and interested parties. As was pointed out, all the belts and seats in the car from the factory rely on bolts. As long as they are large enough and of the proper material, there's nothing to fear from a bolt-in cage or harness bar. If the well-known ones claiming to meet sanctioning requirements (i.e. Autopower) didn't, the world would know by now.

More importantly, why isn't there a friggin' coupe harness bar. :bonk:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts