Registered
1999 2.5RS (STM)
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
5,223 Posts
For that price it would be worth a shot. I purchased a $30 pulley set off eBay, and I haven't had any issues with it. I doubt you'll have any issues with that one as long as the guy got his measurements right.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
It's kinda the same thing about intakes... $150 or more for an AEM intake or $30 for an ebay one. Stick the same filter on the end and there's really no difference.

·
Registered
MY06 GD9 EJ201 SOHC
94 Posts
well with pulleys theres a bit more preciseness which is required..personally i would go with a brand name which has some type of reputation or research and development involved!

·
ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
5,223 Posts
Have you ever heard of someone's pulley fail on the,? The pulley's specs were more than likely copied from a more well-known brand, then punched into a machine that spit out the new pulleys. Welcome to the world of knock-offs.

·
ITS TURBO TIME!
05 LGT limited
2,778 Posts
name brand is just that....its a name that you are paying for! like most of the posts here have stated. The medieval pulley and the OBX will both work for our cars.

·
Registered
MY06 GD9 EJ201 SOHC
94 Posts
my point is u are buying quality assurance with brands...which u cannot with replicas. but ofcos most are copied from brand names and definately usable, just my personal preference i would choose brandname in this instance.

comes down to buyers personal preference

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
the website says it is 89$... stay with stock diameter pullys! OBX is an underdrive pully! DO NOT BUY UNDERDRIVE! Our motors/alternators have trouble when paired with an underdrive pully. The pully in the first link looks fine... I'd buy one!

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
it is even lighter then the perrin pully by .2 lbs... I'm gonna buy one of these tonight! Good find!

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
Buy a Perrin or Group A pulley out of Canada (grimmspeed). I do not understand people who will buy e-bay 'knock off' crap and take their chances. In the world of modding ~ do it RIGHT ~ do it ONCE! :bonk:

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
Buy a Perrin or Group A pulley out of Canada (grimmspeed). I do not understand people who will buy e-bay 'knock off' crap and take their chances. In the world of modding ~ do it RIGHT ~ do it ONCE! :bonk:
this one isn't an ebay knockoff... they make many different pullys for different vehices. It is just a different company. I'm willing to bet that their quality is just as good as the NAME BRAND stuff. So I'm gonna buy one. I will do a balance test, measure theirs compared to stock with calipers, and weigh it to verify their weight claim. If you wanna wait til I do that to buy... then go ahead. I will post my findings here after I receive it, including a review of the transaction.

Every company started somewhere... If no one ever tried new stuff, there wouldn't be any!

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
They more than likely just copy the specs for the stock pulley and then carve that down to a smaller size. There is no reason they would need to copy any other brand's design, its a frickin circle with holes for crying out loud. Definately don't get underdriven though, stick with oem diameter.

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
well... you are going to want a well balanced pully. otherwise it could cause unnecessary stress and vibration on the belt driven parts.

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
just bought one... website quoted about 5 business days to receive product...

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS (STM)
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey hobbes, you went ahead and jacked my thread... lol j/k but since you ordered it before me, when you get it/install it can you please update on this post and let me know how it is? If it works well for you then I'll probably look into getting one also

1 - 20 of 43 Posts